Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Tires?

Which Tires?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I used my CX bike as a commuter, until the day I tried my Zurich Le Mond. It's so much faster! Ended up switching all my Revelate bags, which I use for commuting, to it. The only issue is the tires. For regular road use, I like Continental GP 4000s's. I feel like I should use something with a little more tread for commuting. It's not a bad commute at all. But if the road is a little wet, or conditions not quite what I'd ride normally on a road ride, I want a tire that can handle it. Mainly, punctures and slick pavement. A little gravel. Not a lot, just debris on the road.

Trying to decide between Schwalb Marathon Plus, and Continental Four Seasons. Schwalb has a lot more tread. But maybe too much rolling resistance? I hate to make the bike sluggish.

Opinions? The Four Seasons should be able to handle what I describe. But I'm unsure.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...thon-plus-700c

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...n-with-vectran
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Muirenn, that's a good question and one I've asked myself when I was commuting. Check this, Technical FAQ: Tire grip in wet conditions. The consensus seems to be from the several manufacturers that replied is that softer, more flexible tire and inner tube compounds, tire width, as well as tire pressure make the most difference in grip on wet pavement with tread pattern the icing on the cake.

The problem I see with this is that, like everything else, it's tradeoff. Softer and more supple materials mean faster wear and possibly less puncture resistance. Also, tread may not be the biggest factor on wet pavement, but it becomes hugely important for dealing with sand and, especially, mud or snow. In other words, if you want a tire that will handle everything, it will involve a lot of compromises.

As a long time commuter even in winter snow, I think you really need to choose a tire based on your priorities as well as the roads you ride. You need to decide what's the most important. In Chicago, I opted for wide tires - the widest I could fit on the bike - and rugged, heavy duty tires and tubes because the pavement on my path was heavily cracked and rutted in places, littered with debris and sand and gravel were constantly washing onto the road. Really a deathtrap for skinny, lightweight tires, not to mention for me because losing control with heavy traffic could have killed me. Meant sacrificing some speed, but that loss of speed was really more of an illusion. On an eight mile commute to get to work or home, it actually made, at best, a couple minutes difference. The bike just didn't "feel" as fast with those big, heavy tires, but those tires got me home, safely. For me, getting home, fast, was way behind getting home, safe. Then, when I got home, I could jump on one of my bikes set up for speed and enjoy that sporty feel.

Have used the Marathon Plus and they make a great commuting tire. Probably as close as you'l get to an all-purpose tire.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 12-02-2016 at 09:07 AM.

Hi Muireen,
    I have zero experience with the continentals. We sell the Marathon Plus, they are fine, if you look at Schwalbe's website you'll see the rolling resistance rating. Our customers like the Marathon Mondial - we sell the folding version as it is lighter and a higher TPI. The Bike Hermit swears by his Panaracer t-serv "the best tire ever" (his words)

Happy shopping!
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I’ve ridden through rain storms, water-filled potholes, city alleys with all kinds of terrible surfaces and debris, off curbs and through deep sand blown onto a bike path with marathon plus’s on my commuter. Thinking any stiffer side walled tire is going to feel different than a more supple high tpi lighter road tire. Between those two tires If I was only going to mostly commute on a le mond I’d go marathon’s…..otherwise the 4 seasons.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Thanks, all. For those of you who don't know, I live near Savannah, GA, on the coast. (no snow. None). Commute is six miles. A lot of it is on a MUP, and a lot is on a military base, with little, hopefully more careful traffic. The trouble spot is a fairly tricky one. Up a steep bridge, with trash in the lane, a lot of traffic on the bridge (for this area), and an exit ramp in the form of a 360 degree circle on a downhill. I actually feel safer on the down ramp with conti 4000s's than with the Sammy Slicks that came on my CAADX. They have so much tread that they don't corner as safely. But then, they are not really road tires. I do have a set of Schwalb Marathons in reserve for the CAADX. But I've never even mounted them on wheels. Always meant to, but then tried the Le Mond. The CAADX is also more upright, just not as fast and comfortable as the Le Mond. I can see getting tired of the old-school road bike for commuting, eventually, and going back to the CAADX. I kind of want to leave the Sammy Slicks on the CAADX, as I do like to go offroad with it. (Double and Single Track, though fairly easy Single Track compared to a real mountain biker).

Maybe I'll test it over the weekend. I kind of forgot I had Marathons for the CAADX, I've had them for a long time, they are behind my bike-tool rack case thingie.

I need to put the Marathons on the CAADX, and see if I even like them, I guess. (They are far too wide for the LeMond, 35's, I think). Still hard to compare to the conti's, and I don't really want to change the tires on the CAADX.

I noticed the Mondiles, but I thought they only came in 35's, looks like they do have 25's. And 25 is fine. Don't have a problem with 23 race style, so that would feel sturdy.

I really want commuter tires with a reflective sidewall. Which perhaps precludes the 4 Seasons.

Stacey, you think the Panaracers are better than the Marathons Mondials? Also, looks like the 25c Mondials are available in the wire bead, but not the folding. Are the wire beads also that high quality? They are much less expensive.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 12-02-2016 at 11:38 AM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

We recently purchased and installed Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires (25s) on my Trek roadie -- got 'em at Tree Fort Bikes (one of my fave online retailers) for a cool $43.99 each. Yes, they do have tread, and I was scared they'd feel sluggish, but since I'm pretty slow anyway, I truly don't notice any difference from the previous slick Contis I was riding. The Marathons seem bulletproof, which is good since there's sometimes glass and other debris in the bike lane. They also have nice reflective sidewalls.

So far, I'm very pleased with their performance, though they were a PITA to get on my rims, even for DH. If I ever get a flat on the road, I'm screwed. OTA, the should help prevent that.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Yeah, the same with my 25 Gatorskins, Emily. I've had them on the Trek for 3 years, 5 for the Guru, with no flats. I know I couldn't get it off or on, though.
    DH has had 2 flats on his Guru, with the Gatorskins, but, he ran over a major piece of metal and the other was hitting a huge hole in the road. It seems weird, though, since I have also hit holes with the tires. The first one, we were leading a ride and he had to have a friend help him get the thing off, and he usually does it with hardly any tools needed in about a minute.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Haven't been riding much, like not at all, but I've always been happy with Pasela TG. They got be to LA from San Francisco with no flats.

I think the regular Marathons may be more forgiving of installation. We ended up putting those on our Bike Fridays after the lovely folks at Bike Friday told us in no uncertain terms that the "Plus" variety would not go on our rims. DH has exactly the same average speed on that bike (heavier, little wheels, fat tires) that he does on his road bike. I wouldn't worry too much about them making you slow!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Stacey, you think the Panaracers are better than the Marathons Mondials? Also, looks like the 25c Mondials are available in the wire bead, but not the folding. Are the wire beads also that high quality? They are much less expensive.
    As you know, the wire beads aren't as nice as the folding but if you are comparing the wire bead mondials to the wire bead marathon plus than I would go for Mondials (I always forget you run a narrower tire than me) The Bike Hermit has been riding the T-servs on his touring bike for years. They are a 700 X 28 and such a fantastic price for a folding tire. He has never had any issues with flats. Well I should say he did have two flats toward the end of one tour and realized it was time to buy a new tire. I ride a 26 X 40 folding tire from Compass - which are basically a panaracer as well. I've had 3 flats in 3 years and I use Bernard as my commuter and my touring bike. We have the dreaded Goat Head Thorn here, so two flats were goat head and one was a cactus thorn in West Texas.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    As you know, the wire beads aren't as nice as the folding but if you are comparing the wire bead mondials to the wire bead marathon plus than I would go for Mondials (I always forget you run a narrower tire than me) The Bike Hermit has been riding the T-servs on his touring bike for years. They are a 700 X 28 and such a fantastic price for a folding tire. He has never had any issues with flats. Well I should say he did have two flats toward the end of one tour and realized it was time to buy a new tire. I ride a 26 X 40 folding tire from Compass - which are basically a panaracer as well. I've had 3 flats in 3 years and I use Bernard as my commuter and my touring bike. We have the dreaded Goat Head Thorn here, so two flats were goat head and one was a cactus thorn in West Texas.
    I don't think the LeMond would take a tire any wider than a 25mm, but I've never checked. Just assumed. 25 is wide for me, unless its cx or mountain.

While we are on subject, I know I'm supposed to be able to run a 3" tire on my Velocity Blunts for the Krampus, but so far have stuck to Maxxis Ardents (2.4 and 2.25). Have you seen Blunts with 3" tires? Do they get a good seal? I suppose I could try WTB in 2.8 inch. Not really into paying $600.00 for a Rabbit Hole wheelset, though they look like they would eat roots for breakfast.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Muirenn, can't help you on those specific tires/wheels, but after spending all summer on the MTBs of various types, riding fire roads, gravel, and serious technical stuff, I will never buy another MTB with tires narrower than 3". Never. Out on the trail, it's all to the good with fat. Much prefer my rigid Trek Stashe 29er + with 3" tires to my full suspension Giant Trance 27.5 with 2.35" tires. Not even close. Putting the Giant up for sale, in fact. Try some 3"s on your Krampus.

Actually, have been thinking about replacing the Giant with a Krampus because I like the whole Surly approach, steel frames and all, plus Surly now sets up the Krampus with 3" tires. What do you think of yours?
    Last edited by north woods gal; 12-05-2016 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Muirenn, can't help you on those specific tires/wheels, but after spending all summer on the MTBs of various types, riding fire roads, gravel, and serious technical stuff, I will never buy another MTB with tires narrower than 3". Never. Out on the trail, it's all to the good with fat. Much prefer my rigid Trek Stashe 29er + with 3" tires to my full suspension Giant Trance 27.5 with 2.35" tires. Not even close. Putting the Giant up for sale, in fact. Try some 3"s on your Krampus.

Actually, have been thinking about replacing the Giant with a Krampus because I like the whole Surly approach, steel frames and all, plus Surly now sets up the Krampus with 3" tires. What do you think of yours?
    How tall are you?

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Just a hair under 5'10" and most of it is in my inseam, so I do very well on 29ers and fat bikes.

Tucson has a lot of road hazards: goats head thorns, palo verde tree thorns, gravel, those little metal threads from tires... I have been riding on Continental Gatorskins for most of my cycling time here. I guess they might not handle as well as some other tires, but I had one pair that lasted 4000 miles without a single flat. I switched to the folding gator skins a couple years ago because they are easier to take on and off.

That's my 2 cents worth.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143