Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I had been following this thread closely since I started to develop saddle discomfort this summer. I feel pressed time wise to find a solution since I leave in March for my cross country bike tour.
    I liked the Affinity on my Ruby, except it was too narrow in the rear at 143mm. After sitting on the Specialized sitbones-meter, replaced it with a Romin Evo 168mm and loved it. Felt good for a long time. But then began getting pain and numbing. It felt like where the Romin narrows from the rear toward the nose, began compressing the nerves on my left side in the crotch during pedaling. I thought maybe the 168mm may have been too wide for me. Replaced it with the SMP Dynamic and that felt great for awhile. But, the same pain later developed. I realize that menopause is at work thinning tissues and losing natural padding. I know I swapped out with totally different styles of saddles, opposite of ny biker! So, I went back to the original Affinity and measured the area that narrows from the rear to the nose and compared it to the Romin and SMP and see that it is narrower. The Romin and SMP were the same width. I ordered a 154mm Affinity off ebay and hope that works. But now I am thinking of ordering the Diva as well, to compare, comfortwise.

I do find it feels like I have better support on a saddle with a flatter back, and having a narrower transition to the nose. I saw one photo that makes the Diva appear to have a flattish back. Emily, you probably don't actually have a caliper to measure, but even if you have a ruler with mm, could you *please* measure the area before the nose-- that would have contact with your inner thighs. I would really appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by wnyrider View Post
    I do find it feels like I have better support on a saddle with a flatter back, and having a narrower transition to the nose. I saw one photo that makes the Diva appear to have a flattish back. Emily, you probably don't actually have a caliper to measure, but even if you have a ruler with mm, could you *please* measure the area before the nose-- that would have contact with your inner thighs. I would really appreciate that.
    I would be happy to, but please explain again the part you want to measure. I'm not sure I follow. Are you wanting the width behind the nose? And if so, how far back from the tip of the nose? Or have I misunderstood completely?

I do find the Diva to be pretty flat across the back.

We may have the same problem. I definitely think my saddle issue lately is due to thinning tissues and padding loss. I never had this problem before with the Ldy saddle and same Sugoi shorts. Now, those saddles are like torture devices! The only thing I've found that helps is Gold Bond lidocaine cream, but it only numbs the area for 30-60 minutes, so on a 2.5 hour ride (my usual), I have to reapply a couple of times; not too convenient!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    I would be happy to, but please explain again the part you want to measure. I'm not sure I follow. Are you wanting the width behind the nose? And if so, how far back from the tip of the nose? Or have I misunderstood completely?

I do find the Diva to be pretty flat across the back.

We may have the same problem. I definitely think my saddle issue lately is due to thinning tissues and padding loss. I never had this problem before with the Ldy saddle and same Sugoi shorts. Now, those saddles are like torture devices! The only thing I've found that helps is Gold Bond lidocaine cream, but it only numbs the area for 30-60 minutes, so on a 2.5 hour ride (my usual), I have to reapply a couple of times; not too convenient!
    It is right about here...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smp with arrows showing narrowing area.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	18277

Good to hear about the flatness : ) Padded shorts are a whole other issue!

Found a shot with the Diva...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diva on paint.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	18278
    Last edited by wnyrider; 01-29-2017 at 12:13 PM. Reason: added pic

Okay, thanks for the great photos! I come up with about 2-5/8" across at that point, which is around 6.6675 cm. Hopefully I measured in the right place.

Let me know if you decide to try it. As I mentioned, wiggle.com has it for a really good price.
    Emily

Thanks again. It would probably be a gamble that we both measured in the exact same spot! It appears that your Diva is a tickle wider than both the SMP and Romin The Affinity I have is looks to be 5.698 cm. So the Diva may be an issue. I'm curious to find out if the wider width Affinity I just ordered will also be wider down to the nose. It is due to arrive by Feb 4th. I am tempted to order the Diva anyway. I have so much $$ invested in this trip I'd hate not to be able to ride because of saddle woes. I may be the only rider with extra saddles packed!

If all else fails and I am on tour maybe I can find a shop do what Muirenn suggested to ny biker and go with the Specialized Riva.

I originally solved this problem by treating it medically... there are a few options. That worked for ten years, and then I noticed chafing on one side and burning/pain after longer rides. When I bought my Silque, the LBS owner recommended the Oura. I was skeptical, but, immediately, no pain n the soft tissue and it took about a month for my sit bones to get used to it.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I originally solved this problem by treating it medically... there are a few options. That worked for ten years, and then I noticed chafing on one side and burning/pain after longer rides. When I bought my Silque, the LBS owner recommended the Oura. I was skeptical, but, immediately, no pain n the soft tissue and it took about a month for my sit bones to get used to it.
    I was lucky with the Diva -- no sit bone bothers from the first ride! But I suspect that was because I'd been riding so regularly, though the Diva is a bit harder than the Bontrager saddle it replaced. I was worried there might be some sit bone area soreness from changing to a harder saddle, but no. Perhaps if I did longer than 35ish miles, but up to that length ride, I'm good. And very relieved not to have the chafing/rawness. It would typically start 30-60 minutes into a ride and still bother me afterwards as well.

Good luck, wnyrider, in your choices. I hope your trip goes well and that you don't have to bring a suitcase full of saddles along!
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    That's great, Emily! The Diva is actually a very good saddle, except that the cutout only works for some people, not a lot of people. I use the Romin/Oura. It has a big cutout, but not where the sitbones meet, I guess.

It's possible a Turbomatic with a cutout would also work for you, Emily. If you ever come across one.
    Interesting. Is it a "men's" saddle? Looks very similar to the Diva except no girly pink. I shouldn't need a new saddle for a long time since I just ordered two more Divas for my other two bikes, but that one does look like it would work for me as well. Thanks!
    Emily

Thanks, but I am set with three new Divas! My husband's Terry Fly saddles are still working fine for him. If he starts needing another saddle at some point, I'll be in touch to see if you still have it. We don't want to carry any extra stuff with us, though; always trying to keep the weight and clutter down since we're in a motorhome.

Thanks, though; it looks good. It's really t-shaped.
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    After trying the two new Bontrager saddles (Ajna and Yatra), I gave up and ordered one of the last remaining Affinities available....
    We concluded that the problem with both was the dome shape -- the flatter Affinity is a better shape for me. Part of me would like to look for something shaped like the Affinity but with a cutout, ....
    ny biker, I hope you find that flatter saddle with a cutout because I would love to have one too! In the meantime, the new Affinity came yesterday. Good news-- it has the same measurement narrowing toward the nose as the old Affinity, but with the wider seat area for my sitbones. The bad news-- it has a shorter seat rails than the Romin or SMP. What this means is that with my setback seatpost, I am a wiggle farther back than I would prefer. I rode for an hour on the trainer and my knee began to object. I would like to keep this seatpost because I have a Brooks B17 that I also use on some shorter rides. Longer rides produce "urethral irritation" (thanks for the proper term Emily) . Might I also be schlepping an extra straight seatpost along?!! Wish that Turbomatic was flatter Muirenn. I am off to the bike shop with my Romin Evo and caliper to once again get measured and check out the Power model. Keeping the new Fizik Luce (large) in mind as well.

WNYrider, have you looked at the Specialized Riva? I haven't taken a close look at it yet but based on Muirenn's suggestion, it sounds like it has potential. I hope you find something soon.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Are there posts missing in this thread? It looks like someone is talking to themselves. Over and over again.

Well, this thread is over 2 years old so not sure.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/