Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Ankle/foot area slightly swollen and tender. Wondering if it could be tendinitis...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok-
    Just wondering if anyone has had this problem or recognizes these symptoms. The top of my foot adjacent to my ankle, and front of my leg immediately above the ankle is slightly swollen and tender to the touch. It doesn't usually hurt walking or cycling but definitely hurts if I point my toe. It started about a week ago.

I had a bike crash back on the first of October and there was some road rash and swelling at my knee- then a big hematoma developed about 10 days later (like, half an orange in size!). It isn't completely gone but has reduced greatly in size. When it was at it's peak, I also had discomfort along the inside of my knee down along the inside of my leg- it hurt walking but not cycling. My massage therapist thought that might have been an issue with the bursa.

I haven't had any other injuries or stresses as far as I know, but then last week this ankle thing showed up out of nowhere. I tried to research on line and the closest description I found was tendinitis. I think it's getting worse and probably need to go to the doctor - maybe I'll try urgent care tomorrow. But just thought I'd ask around here anyway.....
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Your original injury sounds like something I had when I had been cycling about a year. I was climbing a short hill when my DS was coming down. He was on his cross bike, with no water, so I passed him my bottle, for a sip. But, I dropped it when he gave it back to me and I crashed. No visible injuries, but a week later I had a huge hematoma on my knee. I could barely walk, so I went to the doctor, then to an orthopedic surgeon, who was sure I needed surgery! One MRI later, it showed a huge amount of blood in the hematoma. I went back to the ortho, he drained it, and I was better within seconds. I am betting this *is* related to the original injury and perhaps you need that checked out.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Crankin-
    My doctor told me the hematoma couldn't be drained and I would just have to wait it out. The hematoma itself was not painful.

I iced the ankle last night and took some ibuprofen. It is better today ... so far... so I don't feel like I need to go to urgent care and can wait until next week.

Is it red or warm to touch?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

OK, well I guess it can take a long time for a bruise to subside, but still. If you are in some way adjusting your normal pedal stroke and/or gait, due to the original injury, that may be what is affecting your ankle. This is what's going on with my recent injury.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

NY Biker, t's not red or warm. Today it felt a lot better though not perfect. So maybe whatever it is is getting better. I'm prone to miscellaneous soft tissue problems- thoracic outlet problems/ tight muscles in my neck, back, shoulder etc, (from fiddling) and some leg & hip issues.