Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Scary...

Threaded View

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Hi Catrin:

My concussion injury didn't result in headaches for me when I was still, lying down, sitting quietly. During the first few months, I couldn't walk fast down a shopping aisle --the moving colours along the aisles did make me slightly dizzy. I would suggest also seeing a physiotherapist to show you some simple balance exercises that are safe and suitable for your situation, yet keep you relaxed and stretched. Each person's concussion symptoms will vary greatly, depending on nature of accident, etc. I had a physiotherapist who did deal with concussed patients of some who were cyclists also. (She herself was a cyclist.)

I did go walking daily for half hr., always accompanied by someone ie. my partner or friend and this was in snow and ice during winter. It was to build up my endurance and balance. I didn't have much problem with sunlight.

Maybe you can go to the concert and at least wear sunglasses. Seriously. That's what I would do. You can always listen to the music and not look if tired. I found classical music generally relaxing for myself. I"ve never heard loud music as bad for post concussion recovery. Then take a taxi /bus home if can't get to and from by car. It doesn't sound like you should even be even driving at all. It's more the bright lights, etc. That's a concern to physicians. But what do I know.

AFter all, no one is expecting you to dance to the music.

As for work, I don't know your financial situation or if you have short term disability benefit via your employer but it doesn't sound ideal to return to work if your work is heavily computer based. I phased back into work for 3-4 hrs. each day over 4 wks. since my job is over 80% in front of the computer. I do have a short-term disability benefit plan through my employer. I work for govn't. For certain, it covered my physiotherapy, some sleeping pills, etc. also. I went to work via public transit and walking short distance.

Take care. Multiple concussions are cumulative. A person doesn't "toughen" after the lst one. Any emergency medicine doctor or neurologist will tell you this.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 12-04-2016 at 07:34 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.