Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scary...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Rest up!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Plus one. Getting away from a computer screen for a few days is not necessarily a and thing at all.

Day 7, well 6.5 to be more exact. Not back to normal yet, but I do feel more human. Headed back to the office today for the first time, only working half-days this week as I simply cannot limit my screen time in the office. If this is a mild concussion, I hate to see what a more severe one is like! Still have the headache, though it's bearable. I've learned my brain's warning system when I start doing too much - cognitively speaking. Walking outside is fine, and easy KB swing workouts are fine. Haven't driven more than short distances yet, so took the bus to work today. I think I will be able to drive tomorrow, time will tell how I feel.

Lots of knitting & audio-book listening. Not quite how I had planned to spend the holiday weekend but considering the alternative I will NOT complain.
    Last edited by Catrin; 11-30-2016 at 03:05 PM.

Glad the recovery is progressing. It scares me to think that I did everything wrong. I rested for one and a half days and felt better, and then went on a 30 mile ride. I had weeks of headaches and neck pain after that. Every time I open my car door, I am careful, so that point doesn't slam me again!
    Take it easy, and don't work too hard.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Glad you're mending. What was it like, not being on a computer every day?? I can't even remember a day like that.

Electra Townie 7D

Thanks for checking in. I hope the recovery continues to go well.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

In retrospect I SHOULD have gone to the ER, but I use the fact that I was concussed as my excuse. To show how badly I was feeling, it wasn't a problem to limit myself to knitting and audio books for a solid 4 days and much of a 5th. I found it very enjoyable and still am.

Obviously I'm back online and the TV is on behind me - but I'm listening to the news more than watching it and I hope to spent more time with audio-books than FB when this is over. I've a nice library of regular, kindle, and audio-books and that's a far better way to spend my free time than FB. I certainly was reading/listening/drawing/exercising before but didn't realize just how much time I was spending online until I couldn't do it. And I still can't do it much as I'm limiting most of my screen time to the office through the 2nd week of my recovery. They told me it would take that long if I behaved myself, longer if I don't.

I agree Muirenn, but I must work, and I am a data modeler. Computers are my bread and butter, just can't take a lot of time off work. Doesn't mean I have to use them away from work, and right now am only using them a couple hours a day with Dr permission and increasing slightly daily. Thankfully my headache is gone, which must be a good sign.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

You mean like this? Yes, I know, and I've decided to keep it dialed back and continue to enjoy music and audio books in my down time. Oh yes, also visiting TE a couple times a week, I just can't ditch TE, but I can most of my other sites.

I am still having some very light symptoms from the concussion. Trans-Siberian Orchestra will be in town for one concert on Dec 7. I paid a fair amount of money for my ticket... They have the most wonderful blending of classical + rock and are known for explosive shows full of lights, special effects, and of course quite loud music. I'm checking with my doctor on the wisdom of going...I suppose it would be a bad idea... (but I really want to go!)

Love them! Hope you get go. Rest up.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Hi Catrin:

My concussion injury didn't result in headaches for me when I was still, lying down, sitting quietly. During the first few months, I couldn't walk fast down a shopping aisle --the moving colours along the aisles did make me slightly dizzy. I would suggest also seeing a physiotherapist to show you some simple balance exercises that are safe and suitable for your situation, yet keep you relaxed and stretched. Each person's concussion symptoms will vary greatly, depending on nature of accident, etc. I had a physiotherapist who did deal with concussed patients of some who were cyclists also. (She herself was a cyclist.)

I did go walking daily for half hr., always accompanied by someone ie. my partner or friend and this was in snow and ice during winter. It was to build up my endurance and balance. I didn't have much problem with sunlight.

Maybe you can go to the concert and at least wear sunglasses. Seriously. That's what I would do. You can always listen to the music and not look if tired. I found classical music generally relaxing for myself. I"ve never heard loud music as bad for post concussion recovery. Then take a taxi /bus home if can't get to and from by car. It doesn't sound like you should even be even driving at all. It's more the bright lights, etc. That's a concern to physicians. But what do I know.

AFter all, no one is expecting you to dance to the music.

As for work, I don't know your financial situation or if you have short term disability benefit via your employer but it doesn't sound ideal to return to work if your work is heavily computer based. I phased back into work for 3-4 hrs. each day over 4 wks. since my job is over 80% in front of the computer. I do have a short-term disability benefit plan through my employer. I work for govn't. For certain, it covered my physiotherapy, some sleeping pills, etc. also. I went to work via public transit and walking short distance.

Take care. Multiple concussions are cumulative. A person doesn't "toughen" after the lst one. Any emergency medicine doctor or neurologist will tell you this.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 12-04-2016 at 07:34 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Thanks for your comments SS, it's helpful.

I am slowly returning to work, 4ish hours a day right now. It appears to be working for me. I noticed this morning at church that I had some symptoms return - we have excellent acoustics and a beautiful pipe organ and I suspect that's part of it. I probably won't go to the concert Wed night as much as I hate to waste the ticket, but considering how I was feeling this morning am unsure that I would actually enjoy it. TSO will be MUCH louder than our lovely pipe organ and they have an even larger light show than they do sound, sadly I think it would just be too much and I KNOW me. I would watch the (literally) exploding light/fire show. I've been wanting to see them for years...

I did take a full week away from driving, and I don't drive more than I actually need to, but I feel fine. I am not driving at night however. I'm also getting soft tissue work done on my neck - that in itself can cause headaches if things are tight enough - my chiro is concerned about that very thing and is working on me. It's also possible that when I hit my head after passing out that I aggravated my various cervical spine issues and that's whats causing the headaches, but they are better than they were.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I didn't return to work even part-time until after 2 whole months at home with daily short walks. My cycling accident occurred on New Year's Day 2015. About 2.5 wks. after my father died of cancer.

Hope you find someone to gift that ticket soon. It would be a lovely Christmas surprise.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 12-04-2016 at 12:21 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Yes, it would be 😎 I just don't think it's wise. From the sounds of it you had a worse concussion than mine, I'm very thankful my head didn't hit the rocker. That would have really changed things...