Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    I have a question. Do walks count, or only other fitness activities. For instance, today I took a bike ride plus two walks (granted, one was to the liquor store and back...lol!) When I walk with DH, we go pretty fast, so I am thinking it counts, but not sure. Waiting until I put in my time just in case!
    It's entirely up to you I would count it myself. I've found that this type of log helps me to look at a broader range of what exercise means to me, that's what makes it valuable to me.

I count walks, hikes, rides, indoor rides, tabata, power class, yoga, snow shoeing, and nordic skiing. I even count stretching if it's for at least 15 minutes.
    That pretty much covers anything I might do in the winter.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Nice range of winter activities Crankin! Sadly I don't have so many, for me it's walking/hiking/KB swings/Tai Chi/stretching and that's about it. 15 minutes is a good threshold. I'm SO glad that I'm finally feeling well enough to get back to my usual exercise, no headaches now for almost 18 hours!!!! Carefully, yes, but normal exercise activities.

While researching DVDs for a client, I came across one that is supposed to be great for beginners at Tai Chi. I might buy it for myself. Seems like a good way to work on balance and for those winter days I don't want to even walk or drive the one mile to the gym.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

It's been strongly expressed to me that it's really difficult to learn it properly from a DVD. There is a DVD on Amazon that is said to be an exception to that rule - Tai Chi for Arthritis. Apparently it breaks things down really well for a true beginner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I don't think it's the same one, but this one clearly states it's easy to follow and for beginners. It might not be totally real Tai Chi, but is led
    by a well known martial arts guy. The pictures were definitely older people! I am not looking to really master this discipline, just do something different.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Cool, enjoy! My free class I attend is currently teaching a new form, I guess it will take some time to learn it. I think you will enjoy it and if you like the DVD send me the name 😎

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I don't think I will count walking from my office to get lunch. But sometimes, especially in winter, I will go out for a walk in the evening expressly for exercise, so those would definitely count. And occasionally I will take a long walk to the grocery store or to run errands, and I would count them too. And walks to and from the gym always count because they replace cardio at the gym.

Speaking of -- last night I did strength training at the gym and walked there and back, with a detour on the way home to make the walk a bit longer. 50 minutes at the gym and 50 minutes walking. Now I will have to convert that to decimals/fractions of an hour -- ugh it's too early for math!

====

Okay I can't edit the spreadsheet from my tablet. Yet another thing the tablet can't do... and I can't access it from this pc right now. Will have to update it later.
    Last edited by ny biker; 12-02-2016 at 06:18 AM.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Okay, great. I will definitely count faster/longer walks as well as bike rides and my home-based mixed workouts (yoga, light weights, core work, etc.) Here we go!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I just realized that I'm forgetting to update the log -- not in the habit yet, I guess. Had a bike ride on Sunday and a gym workout on Monday.

Looking at the long range forecast, I think it's time to get the indoor trainer out of storage. This is going to be a long winter.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I am liking the way the log works, Catrin. I didn't understand (when you first posted it) that it would automatically accumulate our hours. I thought we had to keep our own logs until the end of the month, then put in the total. As long as I remember to update it daily, it's working well for me. And from my time so far, you can tell I am in Florida. Getting about four longer rides (2.5 hours) in per week really helps, plus not having a car so I have to walk everywhere! I feel so lucky not to be suffering in the cold that is gripping so much of the US, though even here we are going to feel it this weekend. But nothing like most anywhere else. Lows in the 40s and highs in the 60s for a couple of days is about it!
    Emily

Glad to hear that it's working for you Emily! It's difficult to describe how it works. It's evolved a bit over the last 3 years.

As for me I've been doing some kettlebell swing workouts and some mobility and flexibilty sessions at home. No TaiChi class for 2 more weeks, I missed the last one due to concussion recovery (it was just 3 days afterwards and my dr voted against it). Looking forward to the next one AND learning more of it so I can do more of it at home. I guess winter is really coming so I don't know that I will be able to walk this weekend but really hope to be able to do so.

It's so cold out that even I don't feel like an outdoor activity! I think it's mostly because I don't feel that well, though, because I've gone nordic skiing and snow shoeing at much colder than the 21 degrees it is now. I went to tabata this morning. Dragging DH with me, so he does something other than riding!
    I've had this sorta sick/headache/ears feeling full, sinuses off thing for 3 weeks. It's not enough to get me to go to the doctor, but I may be giving in, if it doesn't resolve. No fever and no achy feeling, so it's not like what I had last winter.
    I don't want to be sick for when my son is here.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Crankin - I hope you're feeling well soon!

I've been moderating my activities during my concussion recovery (for once). There hasn't been any problems, but yesterday during my 15 minute kettlebell swing interval section of my workout I noticed that my headache was not only returning, but increasing during the swings. I suspect sinus stuff, as this wasn't a problem even just a couple days after the concussion. I DID, however, cap the swing intervals at 10 rounds rather than 15 when it became apparent that it wasn't easing.

I would LOVE to go walking today, assuming the wintry mix misses us this afternoon. Ugh...I'm spoiled!

Sorry you aren't feeling 100%, Crankin. That would be frustrating!

And Catrin, you are smart to moderate your workouts. Concussions aren't worth playing around with, as you well know.

I feel bad for those of you suffering with the cold. I know not everyone likes Florida, but I sure do feel fortunate to be here this time of year! So far our chilliest night was 49F, and that felt seriously cold with stiff north wind. We're moderating today after the cold front, and the next 9-10 days show highs in the 70s and low 80s and lows around 60-65. I can deal!
    Emily