Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

To disable ads, please log-in.

I haven't lived in a household with a car for nearly last 35 yrs. I'm 58.

Have summarized what it's been like here. So I've chosen to live near transit, core services, shops, etc.
    Just last weekend we rented a car for 2 days after we took a bus for 170 km. out of town to get to next destinations of 300 km. That's probably going to be the only time we're renting a car for this whole year.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Hi shootingstar,

It's amazing how much you are saving by not having or owning your own car. I think I've given you a rough figure of the savings. One Tesla P85D owner said he tracked the total cost of ownership after one year at somewhere around $17K or so. Recharging of battery to insurance, to monthly payment with interest etc. Granted its not your usual econo box. so after 35 years that adds up to mighty big sum of money!!

I also found out why my friend's Tesla cost over $30,000 to repair the damage to passenger side rear door and rear quarter panel. Regular steel bodied car would have cost somewhere around $3,000-$6,000 for luxury sedan (me think). It was because the repair can only be made at Tesla approved repair shop. They are the only ones who can get the necessary replacement aluminum body parts and sensors from Tesla. There is no third party source.

I'm really hating to drive. Men seems to think its a race course out there. What is the point of having a speed limit when they completely ignore it and drive 10-20-30MPH over the limit. Want to make unsafe and illegal pass since I'm going at the speed limit...And when they see that its a Asian woman driving a car, they get even angrier! I can't wait for level 5 autopilot. Then what are these gorillas going to do? Some of the younger women are worse! I wish I didn't have to depend on a car...

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post
    Hi shootingstar,

It's amazing how much you are saving by not having or owning your own car. I think I've given you a rough figure of the savings. One Tesla P85D owner said he tracked the total cost of ownership after one year at somewhere around $17K or so. Recharging of battery to insurance, to monthly payment with interest etc. Granted its not your usual econo box. so after 35 years that adds up to mighty big sum of money!!

I also found out why my friend's Tesla cost over $30,000 to repair the damage to passenger side rear door and rear quarter panel. Regular steel bodied car would have cost somewhere around $3,000-$6,000 for luxury sedan (me think). It was because the repair can only be made at Tesla approved repair shop. They are the only ones who can get the necessary replacement aluminum body parts and sensors from Tesla. There is no third party source.

I'm really hating to drive. Men seems to think its a race course out there. What is the point of having a speed limit when they completely ignore it and drive 10-20-30MPH over the limit. Want to make unsafe and illegal pass since I'm going at the speed limit...And when they see that its a Asian woman driving a car, they get even angrier! I can't wait for level 5 autopilot. Then what are these gorillas going to do? Some of the younger women are worse! I wish I didn't have to depend on a car...

Hopefully e-cars will have 1-2 support competitors for repair jobs to bring down the price. It might take time. Right now, our city is surveying citizens about e-cars. So novel..
    I have no trust about autonomous cars in our area....lots of people here drive pickup trucks that guzzle a lot of gas. Do I think people will try to game/tinker with an autonomous car. Sure, why not, if they're smart enough one day.

As for the Asian-face woman driver , I would LOVE to see my friend step out of her car to educate speeding drivers and see their facial reactions..: she works for the municipal transportation planning dept. The very dept. that's working on street calming, more sidewalks, more infrastructure for safety of pedestrians and cyclists. And she is Canadian-born Asian (Chinese). Every single car ride I'm in the car with her, we see speeding drivers going over the speed on city roads. We're not travelling on the highways.

As I said, at beginning of this whole thread, it has been a former cycling advocate, long distance commuter who at 79 now is bored with her friends in her age group spiralling down in petty discussions over short transit rides (which she privately finds amusing and bizarre) ...only because they've never had to restructure their life around transit and walking. Now they can't drive... Let's not be a bunch of elderly grumps incapable of restructuring our lives by making these adjustments .now.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.