Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: November Rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

So true. My full suspension 27.5" tire bike is listed at 29 pounds and my Salsa fat bike at 32 plus. Neither one is anything approaching light, but with MTBs I think weight, or lack thereof, is not as big a deal as with road bikes. Oh, I like a light MTB with a carbon frame for its handling and responsiveness and have ridden a few, but have yet to convince myself it's worth the extra cost. Now, on a road bike, I do very much appreciate a carbon frame.

I remember my lovely Jamis Dakar (Emily has it now), sweet bike but I think it weighed close to 40 pounds! I never really noticed the weight - well not between crashes

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I remember my lovely Jamis Dakar (Emily has it now), sweet bike but I think it weighed close to 40 pounds! I never really noticed the weight - well not between crashes
    I don't think it is that heavy, Catrin! But I could easily be wrong. Next time I have it off the bike rack, I'll try to remember to weigh it. :-)

It's definitely heavier than either of my roadies, but with the low gearing, I don't notice it much either.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

An hour drive north for a ride into the santa monica mountain’s then a relaxing 28 mile finish on rural farm roads and the pacific coast highway…..ending with the sunset at point mugu state park where we parked the car. High 70’s and 57 miles…..and great wild mushroom soup, yellowtail sashimi with jalapeno and grilled shishito pepper with sweet den miso for dinner over looking the ocean at Nobu’s in Malibu on the way home. Actually the day was designed around the reservations we were able to get at Nobu’s

‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Beautiful!

More awesome pics. You have the gift, Rebecca.

Did the part of my birthday ride I didn't do on my birthday. 28.6 miles of which the first half involved the 4 mile climb up Oak Hill in Littleton and Harvard, MA. I haven't done this climb much this year (once or twice), but DH and I went really slowly, and we enjoyed the lovely 55 degree sunny weather. We ate lunch at the Harvard General Store, where I discovered that my phone seems to have stopped working. DH is trying one last thing and if it doesn't work, we have to go stand in line as a walk in at the Apple Store, to get a new one. It's under warranty, but I really don't want to go sit in the mall for 2 hours.
    Glad I went riding!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Your pictures are stunning, Rebecca!
    Emily

Nothing too exciting to report for November yet. Weather was warm for time of year yesterday, but oh so windy. Too bad. Told hubby we are taking our Crux out (the road bikes are on the trainer already) and we did only 18km ride. But with the wind facing us for almost half the trip, at some point I could not do more than 13km/h. Heart rate was sky rocketing but no pain in legs. yeah

Note that I managed to slip 3 weekends ago on a clear plastic mat (those you buy by the foot on a roll at home depot, etc.) in the basement. Hubby uses it to put a bike stand and clean up our bikes on. I was decluttering the area and never saw the clear plastic. Nasty fall and luckily I did not re-injure the broken knee (ok now) from this past January. I managed to land on the other leg. Painful but no major damage. So I took 2 weeks off yoga, gym, etc to let it heal properly.

So yesterday was 1st day doing something decent - gymwise! Yeah. Tonight yoga class.

Week is looking mild and hoping to get the bikes out next Saturday. Maybe we'll be able to ride on Xmas day like last year. hihi Then the storm hit on the 26th Dec. and we were done for winter outing on road bike.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Glad you didn't hurt yourself too badly, Helene.

I meant to ride after work last Wednesday but it was kind of cold and breezy and the leaves on the ground were still wet from afternoon rain. So I postponed to Thursday and then was just too tired. I got very little sleep on Tuesday night and had to get up earlier than usual for busy days on Wednesday-Friday. So no mid-week hill ride for me. Saturday I got up early again, but it was to do some hiking out in Harpers Ferry. When I got home Saturday night I was so tired that I skipped dinner and just went to bed.

Sunday was another fantastic fall day in terms of the weather. We're starting to have colder nights, and overnight Saturday it was down into the 30s. But during the day the sun is still strong enough to warm things up, so I planned a club ride on Sunday afternoon, 39 miles with options for short cuts. It was in a rural area east of DC, with stops at a wildlife sanctuary and a park on the Patuxent River. I love riding in that area but for various reasons have not been there since June -- in fact the last two rides I did there were very hot days where the ride started out nice but ended as just trying to get back without heat exhaustion. But yesterday we really got lucky, it was in the 60s and very comfortable for the entire ride despite the cold start to the day. The afternoon light this time of year made all the old barns look really nice. We saw lots of horses, some cows, a donkey and two llamas. Overall just a very nice ride. There were five of us at the start; two of us rode the whole route and the other three took various shortcuts.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Still nice weather (for November, anyway), so still riding up a storm on my trails. Added a bypass to one loop because it had a big rock on it that just begged to ridden over. Then found a leftover section of 6" PVC pipe that hubby had used for a project and placed on the trail as my artificial log. Filled with sand and anchored securely, these pipes work very well as logs to cross. The fact that I am now going out of my way to find more objects to ride over rather than avoid, as when I first started making these trails, shows I am making progress. Rain mixed with some snow is forecast for the end of the week, but nothing major headed our way in the way of a big storm or serious cold. Knock on wood, my trails will still be snow free by Thanksgiving.

thanks for the nice photo comments...i sometimes feel i post too many

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Glad you didn't hurt yourself too badly, Helene..
    +1
    and n.y…. if that was the merkle wildlife sanctuary I’ve ridden and hiked in that area during the early fall time of year with friends who live in d.c. ….glad the weather cooperated
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    thanks for the nice photo comments...i sometimes feel i post too many
    Not at all!

I'm not getting to ride at all right now as we are at my mother's and doing projects for her, plus our own RV projects. Just gotta get through this week, which is busy busy, and we will be in Florida by Thanksgiving -- and I can start riding again, yay! From then on, I'm hoping for lots of rides before the end of the year. I had a goal of 3000 miles this year and still have about 300 to go to achieve that. Have not gotten to ride nearly as much this fall as I'd hoped, mostly due to traveling and family stuff.
    Emily

Rebecca, we were at the Merkle Wildlife Sanctuary. I love that area. Soon the migratory geese will be back. I was there once on a solo ride during the winter, sitting at the picnic table in front of the visitors' center, when I realized I heard geese. I looked around behind the building and there they were. It was fun to see the reason that Mr. Merkle founded the place.

North woods, I love that you're going out of your way to ride over stuff.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Thanks, NY. This daredevil stuff is so out of character for me. Here I am, at my age, discovering a side of me I didn't know I had. Go figure.

Rain, yesterday, so just contented myself with a good workout on the indoor trainer. I maybe approaching daredevil status, but I'm not crazy enough to ride for fun - yet - in a cold November rain.