Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: November Rides

November Rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

Got out today, for the first time in a week. It is way above average temperature for this time of year, 57 when I left, and 62 when I got back. I thought I was dressed OK, but after 4-5 miles, I started feeling weird and realized I was just hot (and hungry), so I took off my arm warmers. Then, after another couple of miles, I had to stop to eat part of a Lara Bar. Despite feeling bonky for about half the ride, I actually felt "good," which sounds strange. I did a semi-loop of 15 miles, where at the beginning and end I was on the same road. Nothing special, all super familiar roads, mostly in Acton and then back to my house.
    I have noticed that there is just more traffic out during the day now, and it is annoying. Obviously, where I live, it's not city type traffic, but it's noticeable. I think maybe because so many people work at home now, that they are out and about during the day, doing errands. If I had gone just a mile or two further west, I would have gotten into very quiet riding, but I am on a schedule.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Finishing up the trail work by adding some 6" PVC pipe as artificial logs to jump with the bike. Hoping to find some 8" pipe, too, at some point, but any bigger brings on the issue of the chain ring snagging when crossing. Mostly, though, have been putting in one solid hour of climbing and jumping every day and hope to work up to two full hours, this month.

Unusual weather for us. Have only had one night of actual freezing temps, though our daytime highs are in the normal 40s and 50s. A good hard freeze would actually firm up some of the muddy spots on the trail.

Finally got out today for my first ride since riding in Kentucky on October 17! Longest time off this year, I think. We've been busy with family time and travel, so it was great to get on the bike again, especially given the unseasonably warm weather and sunshine. It was around 65F at the start of the ride and 75 at the end, in November! :-)

We rode in our old neighborhood in NC as we are currently in the area for a short visit for some doctor's appointments for DH (routine stuff). Got to see a former neighbor and enjoyed riding many of the rural roads we've ridden hundreds of times. A few new houses, but not too many changes, which is kind of nice. We have not ridden in this area since 2011, before moving to Belize.

I was pleased to note that even though I am surely a bit slower than when we lived here, the ride didn't seem any more difficult (it's rolling hills), so I guess all the tough rides out west this past summer really helped my fitness level. Ended up with a little over 26 miles at a 14 mph pace.

We'll ride again tomorrow, then it gets much cooler, so that may be it for riding for this visit.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

So far, I have two commute rides for November. Yesterday was the first time I had to wear a windbreaker in the morning! Seems like most of my miles are from commuting lately. But 19 miles round trip adds up!
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Emily, that's a great pace for rolling hill country. All that summer riding, for sure.

Az, my best ever year for miles on a bike was one of the years I went bike, only, no car, including a 16 mile round trip for commuting. For sure, those commuting miles really add up.

Thanks, NWG. I was significantly slower on today's ride, but I rode my Bike Friday with rack and trunk pack. We rode some of the same rural route as yesterday but detoured over to the food co-op in town where we used to be members. It has expanded substantially since we left the area! Bought a few things, then rode the same route back to the campground. Ended up with 30 miles today and am going to enjoy a day off tomorrow. I am feeling it now!

Today is the last day of the warm weather. We left in the mid-60s and returned in the mid-70s again. Looks like we may not enjoy this much warmth again until we get down to Florida later in the month. It has been delightful riding in shorts and short-sleeve jerseys as leaves fall all around us, I must say!
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Thanks, NWG. I was significantly slower on today's ride, but I rode my Bike Friday with rack and trunk pack. We rode some of the same rural route as yesterday but detoured over to the food co-op in town where we used to be members. It has expanded substantially since we left the area! Bought a few things, then rode the same route back to the campground. Ended up with 30 miles today and am going to enjoy a day off tomorrow. I am feeling it now!

Today is the last day of the warm weather. We left in the mid-60s and returned in the mid-70s again. Looks like we may not enjoy this much warmth again until we get down to Florida later in the month. It has been delightful riding in shorts and short-sleeve jerseys as leaves fall all around us, I must say!
    Wait - I didn't realize you were in this area now! The weather has definitely been odd - the 40 tomorrow night is going to be a rude awakening. Have fun and happy travels!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Emily…riding roads that have good memories ftw!!....
    nwg...It sounds like your trail building skills are going to give you some good exercise in the coming months!!

Back to Carly rd for the ride after work and before I head home from Oxnard. A pleasant end to a long hard work week of travel, a day at home and today’s work in Oxnard…..and the beginning of a weekend of being adventurous with Alex.

‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

What heavenly roads to ride! Thanks for the pics. Pretty darn good photography skills, too.

Beautiful roads - and great photography!

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    Wait - I didn't realize you were in this area now! The weather has definitely been odd - the 40 tomorrow night is going to be a rude awakening. Have fun and happy travels!
    Yes, just briefly for some doctor's appointments for DH (routine stuff). I haven't announced it publicly on Facebook as I don't want friends whom we just don't have time/energy to see to get their feelings hurt. We are contacting a few folks individually and had a great lunch with a good friend yesterday. As introverts, we have to manage our interactions pretty carefully or we get overwhelmed -- we could easily socialize every single day here if we were so inclined. But we're not.

We are west of Carrboro, and it was in the upper 30s this morning. What a change, and not for the better IMO. Although I love my home state, I can't wait to get to Florida!
    Emily

Gorgeous roads and photography, Rebecca! Thanks, as always, for sharing!
    Emily

It was 29 degrees when I woke up this morning, which meant I was pretty sure we would not be doing a 63 mile ride, for my "ride my age" birthday ride. But, we ended up doing a lovely, very local ride of 33 miles, starting when it was 39 degrees and after 11 AM. We rode a loop we often do when we don't want to do big hills, to start off, and then we thought we would head to Harvard, MA for one climb, lunch, and home. But, it was already after 1:00, and we were hungry, so we ate our snacks and decided based on our slowness today, we would be eating around 2:30. Since we are going out for a really nice dinner tonight, we decided to head into West Acton via the long way and stopped at the local gourmet farm market to buy a sandwich to share. It was a little warmer out, so we sat at the picnic tables outside. We ate pretty quickly and then decided to head home, which was not that far. Ended up riding 33 miles, and noticing that a lot of the trees still have beautiful color, which was very calming. It stayed mostly cloudy, with some sunny breaks, a light wind, and I was also dressed mostly correctly. I did change to a lighter pair of gloves and head cover. I think tomorrow will be a hiking day.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Sounds wonderful Crankin! Glad to hear you still have color and had a relaxing ride. I will be hiking tomorrow myself, just ran out of time to go today but tomorrow is supposed to be just a couple of degrees warmer.

An hour workout on the trails, trying to up my pace, plus more hours working on the trails. How could I not with the temp hitting 70 degrees, this afternoon? This is just nuts. In an average year, our lake has begun to ice up and some snow on the ground. This year, though, have only had one night below freezing and still none in next week's forecast. Makes me a little nervous because when Old Man Winter wakes up and looks at the calendar, we're probably going to get walloped. In the meantime, though, I'm going to ride, ride, ride.