Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

October rides...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hoping to get out and ride after work tonight. Anyone else?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Pretty steady rain, at the moment, so probably not me.

Did get out and do some mountain biking, yesterday, though, but careful not to overdo because still have a touch of my lingering cold. Love biking this time of year, as I've said, but now find all my mountain bike trails covered in leaves. Not good. Those leaves make it hard to actually see the trail and some of the sections are very narrow, not to mention the leaves cover some tricky spots. May just drag a rake down my trails around the house, but not much I can do on the backcountry MTB trails other than be extra careful. Oh, well, that's mountain biking.

For those of you on pavement, watch those leaves when wet. Ask me how I know.

*Finally* went out on a longer ride today and it was fabulous. Went with my normal group, my friend was leading and all of the super fast people went out ahead of the group, so it was not too big. Most of this ride was going in an opposite direction than I usually ride these roads and there was one small section of neighborhood streets i had never been on. Basically, the ride went from Bedford, MA, to Billerica, south Chelmsford, a teeny bit in Carlisle, then Concord, and back to the start. The weather started out chilly, but warmed quickly. I was dressed just a bit warm, but I would rather have that than the opposite. I did change to short fingered gloves at the rest, and had my vest and jersey (light thermal) unzipped. However, a lot of the ride was in the shade, so no overheating... until the 2 climbs. The first was going the opposite way than usual on Vose Hill Rd., a climb I did twice this year in close to 90 degree heat. It's a neighborhood street, a loop, and it was easier going this way, but not easy. I could stay with the faster people. Then, lo and behold, the second climb was my old street. I have not ridden up it since March. It is also a loop and we went up the steeper grade side. Couldn't keep up with the fast guys here, but I was not with the slow ones, either. All I can say, is I am glad I don't have to do this every time I ride anymore.
    There are pops of fall color, but not enough to take pictures. We will do some riding this holiday weekend, west of here, where I might get some pics. Today's ride was 33 miles, with 1,719 feet of climbing.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Crankin, does "Bedford" rhyme with "Medford"? (I have a friend whose family is from Medford and he has schooled me in the correct pronunciation. )

It was chilly here last night, in the 60s, when I got home from work. Since then I've been thinking about what I need to wear to ride comfortably tonight. We skipped over short sleeves and shorts weather and are going straight from tank tops to long sleeves, capris and wool socks.

Gone but not forgotten:

Ha, ha. My son lives in Medford, also pronounced as "Meffa" or "Medfa," or "Medfid." The first is the really old Italian townie pronunciation, which is who settled the city. The others are just variations of the Boston accent, which gets stronger as you get closer to the city. So, my answer is, not really, but you probably won't hear Bed-ford, with the last syllable accented and pronounced like the car brand. You probably will hear Bedferd, which is probably what I sound like. I moved away in 1969, came back in 1990, and I still have to force some of the "r" syllables.
    It was 39 here last night and 53 when we started our ride.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

We finally got out for a good long ride today after many days of traveling. We are in western Ohio now and rode on gorgeous rural roads from our campground, out through Amish areas, lovely farms, and over into eastern Indiana, where we picked up the Cardinal Trail. We had ridden this trail a couple of years ago when staying in Richmond, IN, but this time we only did around 8 miles each way into town, grabbed some ice cream, then headed back north. On the way north on the Cardinal, a passing shower caught us by surprise as we thought it was supposed to be sunny and warm all day long, but that's the midwest for you!

Ended up with over 51 miles, so made up for lost time. Even though the terrain was not too bad -- flat to rolling -- my quads were burning on the last 25% of the ride since I hadn't done anything over 30 miles for quite awhile. Fortunately my lungs seem to be doing very well after being in the high-altitude west for so long. No more huffing and puffing to extremes, thank goodness!

Very little fall foliage here; it's like going back in time after being in Colorado!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I decided to go for a walk after work tonight instead of riding. I'm just not ready for the cooler weather and playing the "how many layers" game. Now waiting to see how the weather shapes up for the weekend.

Gone but not forgotten:

What with rain through mid afternoon, wasn't planning on a ride, but the rain stopped, the sun came out and the temp was right at 60 degrees, so couldn't resist. Only did 22 miles, but the gorgeous color and wonderful aroma of the north woods after a rain made for a great ride. Would have done more, but had to be back in time for a dinner date with friends. Yup, just cool enough to wear leggings with the brisk wind, but well worth it.

I've been riding regularly in spite the crash that finished my ride Saturday. (Detailed elsewhere). That was about 35 miles I think- "biking & birding". Tucson weather is great right now- cool in the morning but still pretty warm by late afternoon.

Sunday I took the Surly out on the path just to see if I could keep moving. Monday I did a bunch of errands on the Surly, and picked up the Ruby from the bike shop. Flat tire, a little brake adjustment (the rotor got bent a little and they tightened a couple spokes). That was a relief.

Tuesday- commuted into work for a meeting (even though we're on break), rode to a home visit to see a student, and took a very long way back to check a couple birding spots for 36 miles.

Wednesday- another student home visit, then continued to my classroom to do some clean up and get ready for having a substitute- I'm skipping the first day back after the fall break.

Thursday I drove to the other side of Tucson and did a 47 mile expedition looking for hawks etc through the Avra valley. Very flat- not my usual ride experience.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Rained all night, temps in the 50s and dropping all day with strong gusty winds as a cold front pushes through. For sure frost, tonight. Will ride, today, just around the house on my trails. One thing about riding back in the heavy stuff; wind is not as much a factor as when on the road.

We're looking at rain tomorrow and wind on Sunday. I'm trying to figure out if there's someplace I can ride on Sunday that will offer some protection from the wind. Many of the usual routes through farmland and near the Chesapeake are too exposed.

Gone but not forgotten:

Had originally planned to do a 50 mile ride west of here, but we were not feeling it, to get out of the house by 10:00. We ended up doing 28 miles over to the cranberry bogs in Carlisle, hoping to see the harvest and some fall color. Apparently, they are not harvesting now, and I am not sure if it's due to the drought, or that it's just too early. I know they harvesting down on the Cape.
    However, there were areas of some nice fall color, but I definitely need another week before it's photo worthy. All in all, a nice ride, and I always like it when my DH is feeling slow! It started out at 63, but it was cloudy and humid, and felt warmer. After 7 miles, I took off my arm warmers and vest. The temperature went down a couple of degrees, but not enough for me to put them back on. We will be getting some of the outer bands of the rain from the hurricane, combined with another front tomorrow, so no riding or hiking. I will go to the gym and do a power lifting class, as I am off from work Monday and will not be going then.
    Last edited by Crankin; 10-08-2016 at 01:22 PM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

After doing some work in Colorado I did a couple days of research in the Mojave Desert by the Sierra Nevada’s this past week. The desert always calms me and gives me a perspective of peace and beauty, just what I needed after long days of work and traveling. I’ve found a few favorite roads that I try to ride every time I’m there. Did a couple of morning and evening rides and spent all of yesterday riding into the Sierra’s. Temps in the 50’s in the morning and only in the 70’s in the afternoon. Perfect weather and perfect rides.

‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Had a nice ride yesterday in Ohio: 11 miles on somewhat busy (with no shoulder and high speed limit, not a great combo) road to get over to the Little Miami Scenic Trail, which we've ridden portions of several times and love, rode part of the trail, then rode back to our campground another way including up one killer hill I actually had to walk up it was so so steep. I had hoped to get 50 miles but ended up with 48 and was so glad to be finished as my quads were DONE. The trail was flat but the rest was most definitely not.

Not a lot of fall foliage in southwest Ohio yet either. Wore a sleeveless jersey for probably the last time this fall yesterday; a front came through last night, and today was breezy, brightly sunny, and cool (60s but felt cooler with the north breeze). Did yoga and weights and took a walk instead of a ride today!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

So, a story on the front page of today's Boston Globe answered my question about the cranberry bogs. The lack of color (in the bogs, not on the trees) is related to the drought. Usually, the fields are irrigated, the berries float off the vines, and people or machines use a giant rake to harvest them. Because of the lack of rain, and hence, water to irrigate, a few harvesters have chosen to "dry harvest." This is labor intensive and they lose about 10-15% of the berries when harvesting this way. A few of the smaller farmers have chosen to give it up. While Ocean Spray will not be affected financially (the harvest last year was spectacular and they have been irrigating), the small bog near me is most definitely one of the ones affected by the drought.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura