Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Rebecca C that looks awesome - thanks for the photos
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Yes, great photos. Thanks, Rebecca.

Unless the weather takes a turn to something unusually warm, probably had my last ride going sleeveless and no leggings, as of last week. A warm day is now in the 50s. Oh, well, that's bicycling in the north country.

Been doing more work on the MTB trails around the house, mostly clearing leaves on the tricky spots. Yeah, raking mountain bike trails. Who would a' thunk it? Darn leaves can hide a multitude of dangers, though.

Finally drying out a bit after a near record wet summer. Will work on some trails that will be rideable once the ground freezes. These swamp trails are fat bike, only, at the moment and given that it means a thorough washing of the bike when done, pretty much have avoided them.

The really good news is that my MTB house trails will get use as cross country ski trails, come snow, but will also fat bike them in the snow. That, too, is part of life in the north country. Home, sweet, home.

Emily, speaking of killer hills, I have about half dozen "steeps" on my MTB trails that take me into the lowest gear on the MTBs and still require me to stand on the pedals. Have one, though, that is impossible to climb, though I've tried many, many times. Hairpin turns at the top and bottom, so no way to build up speed to climb it. Will take another look, today, and maybe re-route it. An hour workout on my trails leaves me huffing and puffing, big time. Sometimes wonder if an old lady like me should have her head examined for pushing herself like this, but would rather crash and burn, so to speak, than just fade away.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 10-10-2016 at 08:56 AM.

Rebecca, those photos were great- the clouds in the second one really wowed me. Where exactly were you?

It's so different from the Sonoran desert....
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Thanks sky and nwg
    Quote Originally Posted by azfiddle View Post
    Rebecca, those photos were great- the clouds in the second one really wowed me. Where exactly were you?

It's so different from the Sonoran desert....
    The second photo is looking towards the western edge of the Panamint mountains.

We do work on the Desert Renewable Energy Conservation Plan and other research grants in the northeastern Mojave between the western edge of the Panamint mountain range in Death Valley and the eastern Sierra Nevada’s. That area of the Mojave also gives me such a wonderful counterpoint to the usual urban/coastal mountain riding i usually do.

The Mojave is drier year round and colder in the winter than the Sonoran so yeah the landscape is different.
    ….and our tortoise’s are cuter than yours and we don’t have all those thorns on the road

here’s one more than I post processed after my last post…and one of my favorite riding roads.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I used to get into that area occasionally. When I did research on Bell's Vireos in the late 1970's there was one little oasis (Shoshone?) that I would go to, plus some recreational birding at other oases.

The Sonoran Desert is lush by comparison with the stark beauty of that part of the Mojave. Beautiful country (but not in the heat of summer!)

Shoshone is on the eastern side of Death Valley and yeah the area has the same kind of ecosystem. Riding in the heat can be done with the right preparations and mindset. I see it as a good challenge when work takes me there during the summer. I usually only do long rides there in the fall/winter months though.

And speaking of birds, there is some productive and needed work being done on solar farms/avian mortality by the Ca. Fish and Wildlife Dept., the Center for Biological Diversity etc. I do worry that a change in U.S. political direction will have a big impact on that though.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    So, a story on the front page of today's Boston Globe answered my question about the cranberry bogs. The lack of color (in the bogs, not on the trees) is related to the drought. Usually, the fields are irrigated, the berries float off the vines, and people or machines use a giant rake to harvest them. Because of the lack of rain, and hence, water to irrigate, a few harvesters have chosen to "dry harvest." This is labor intensive and they lose about 10-15% of the berries when harvesting this way. A few of the smaller farmers have chosen to give it up. While Ocean Spray will not be affected financially (the harvest last year was spectacular and they have been irrigating), the small bog near me is most definitely one of the ones affected by the drought.
    I learned about this when we took the scenic train ride on Cape Cod. Though now I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly. But I think they told us that typically about 75% of the cranberries are wet harvested and these berries are used for processed products like juice and canned cranberry sauce. The dry-harvested berries are sold as is, unprocessed.

Meanwhile, I have not been on my bike in a couple of weeks now. On Saturday we had rain all day, and I just couldn't get motivated to ride on Sunday because it was very windy. I've gone for a few walks around my neighborhood, though, which is not as good a workout but it does work some different muscles.
    Last edited by ny biker; 10-11-2016 at 03:44 PM.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

After posting that my riding sleeveless and shorts season is over, it actually warmed up enough, today, to at least not have to wear leggings. It also warmed up enough to have hordes of mosquitos on my MTB trails. ??? This is very strange for us, this late in the year. Makes me wonder what kind of winter we will have. Anyone else getting unusual weather for their location?

Although I haven't seen any mosquitos since I came back from my vacation, there have been 3 cases of West Nile Virus in my county in the past 2 weeks. The word is to still protect yourself. Our drought has been so bad, that the last 2 weekends, when we had one day of rain, each, I can't begrudge it. But, since I am so unused to lazy rainy days, I also have not ridden much either, NY. I feel lazy and guilty. On Sunday, I got up, was ready, but just did not want to go out and drive the one mile to the gym. So, I stayed home, ate bagels and lox, and read the paper, like a normal person. I did, for the first time since I moved to the condo, do one of my 30 minute yoga DVDs in the sunroom, which is perfect. Windows surrounded by woods, and peaceful.
    Yesterday we did a 3 mile flat hike in local woods and then went to Cambridge and walked another 3 miles.
    I rested today and tomorrow I am going to ride on a bike trail with a friend, who is being another bad Jew, by not observing Yom Kippor.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Emily, speaking of killer hills, I have about half dozen "steeps" on my MTB trails that take me into the lowest gear on the MTBs and still require me to stand on the pedals. Have one, though, that is impossible to climb, though I've tried many, many times. Hairpin turns at the top and bottom, so no way to build up speed to climb it. Will take another look, today, and maybe re-route it. An hour workout on my trails leaves me huffing and puffing, big time. Sometimes wonder if an old lady like me should have her head examined for pushing herself like this, but would rather crash and burn, so to speak, than just fade away.
    LOL...but I am sure you are in killer shape for doing all that! Wow!

I rode yesterday around the large state park where we were staying (paved but cracked roads; should have taken the fullie MTB and not my roadie, as it was kinda miserable..bump.....bump....bump....ugh!) and a little on roads outside of it. DH has a bum shoulder -- either strained or torn rotator cuff -- and can't ride, and I just didn't feel all that motivated to head out on roads unknown without him. I managed to get in 20 miles, but it was a pretty slow and uncomfortable ride. Today was a travel day.

We had planned to ride over to see his folks tomorrow, but since he's out of commission, that is not going to happen. We have to drive over in our motorhome. This is one of the first times I've wished we had a tow'd vehicle. It's a pain to have to unhook from utilities, bring in the slides, take out the leveling blocks, stow everything away so it won't go flying, just to drive 14 miles down the road and back later (and reverse everything to get settled back into the site). Normally we only stay in campgrounds where we can walk or bicycle to places we need to go, but there was no place closer to their assisted living facility and we didn't count on DH being hurt when we came to visit.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

First day in a while I've ridden with anyone else. (Since the Grand Canyon trip, actually!). I didn't make her stop for birds more than three times, but we did stop for a great look at a Peregrine Falcon. About 28 miles.

Sorry about your DH, Emily. Is he going to get it looked at? Hope it gets better quickly!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Emily, sorry, I missed that about your DH - I hope he's okay.

Me, too, on your DH, Emily. One thing I love about my drop bar bikes with the fatter tires is that those Ouch! Ouch! road cracks turn into more mellow Thump! Thumps!.

AZ, has been many years since I've seen any falcons, save a Kestrel pair the nests and hunts in the little open country we have, up here, via a potato farm on one of my paved bike loops. Just not great falcon country in our thick north woods. The one falcon I miss seeing the most, though, from my prairie days, is the Prairie Falcon. Magnificent birds.

Cranking' and NY, hope you'll be up and pedaling, soon. Yeah, the guilt thing is a real pest. I know it all too well. Just comes with the territory for those of us who ride a lot. Don't let it get you down.

So, my friend and I rode 19.7 miles today, not on the bike path, thankfully. What a gorgeous day. Leaves still not so colorful everywhere, but here's a picture at the South Cemetery in Boxborough, about a mile from where I used to live.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0026.jpeg 
Views:	83 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	18215  
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura