Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fall Color

Fall Color

To disable ads, please log-in.

Got back from Florida and immediately caught a nasty cold, so very little riding, this week. Still have the cold, but just not like me to sit inside, so hopped on the bike, anyway, for a short 15 mile ride on a beautiful fall day. Here it is, the first week of October, and we are still not at full color. In fact, it's just getting started. Very unusual, as most years the color is gone and all the leaves are down, by now. Could have something to do with our very wet summer. Just don't know.

Anyway, will post more as the color comes on. Post your fall color shots when you get them, too. Such a wonderful time of year to ride. Welcome to my neighborhood.

Last edited by north woods gal; 10-03-2016 at 02:07 PM.

Nice, Northwood. The peak for fall color in greater Boston is usually the week after Columbus Day weekend. Today is the first day I actually noticed some trees that were changing outside my office. Nothing in the wetlands behid my house, except for some dull yellow leaves that have fallen. This is the peak time for northern New England and the Berkshires, and for once, I am glad I will not be traveling with all of the busloads of peepers in those areas. On our flight home from LA, there was a huge group of them going on a bus tour. Ugh. I know everyone should enjoy this wonderful natural occurrence, but it really clogs up a lot of areas I like to ride in!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Never thought of that, Crankin', but, yeah, I can see that it would be an issue. We do get some of that traffic in our area, but very little, given that we are a long way from any metropolitan area and that there is so much forest, up here. Hope you can get out and ride, though, if just for the weather.

Love seeing the fall colors! My pics are from a couple of weeks ago. We've already had the first snow on the mountain peaks.

2016.09.20-264-P1040870-Pano-BigCottonwoodCanyon by DutchRosie, on Flickr

2016.09.20-264-P1040853-BigCottonwoodCanyon by DutchRosie, on Flickr

2016.09.20-264-P1040822-Pano-BigCottonwoodCanyon by DutchRosie, on Flickr

Thank-you so much, Dutchess. I was hoping someone would post some pics of the Aspens in the mountains. Great memories for me. Of course, we have birch and aspen, here, but just not the same as being in the high country. Thanks, again.

Similar to Crankin's situation, fall colors = traffic in the places around here that are the least bit scenic. So far we have leaves going straight from green to brown and falling off, due to a long period without rain that ended last week. I actually do not like seeing the leaves turn colors because it means the trees will soon be bare and it will be cold and then I will be trapped at home by snow and ice and it will be too cold to even open the curtains. I want the green to last as long as possible and then I will eagerly await the new buds of spring, pollen be damned.

These are the colors I love.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pinktree1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	18206

Name:	pinktree2.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	18207

(BTW does anyone know what kind of tree this is?)

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Sorry, NY, didn't mean to get you down. Hope you can get a bit more riding in before winter.

That look like some kind of fruit tree with those blossoms, I think. Not sure what fruit, though.

We witnessed amazing fall color in Colorado as we drove from Rabbit Ears Pass down to Grand Lake, near Rocky Mountain National Park. Two weeks ago, but in the higher elevations, much more leaf peeping than where we are now (Ohio):

http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com/t...-grand-lake-co

Amazing photos, BikeDutchess!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

NY Biker, not sure, but that looks like some variety of ornamental cherry.

I <3 the spring flowering trees too! Redbuds, dogwoods, cherries... all faves of mine. I love fall but do appreciate your feelings about it, and spring is my favorite season as well.
    Emily

Such beautiful photos, thank you! I love the lake shots, North Woods. BikeDutchess - those mountain shots are just outstanding! Both of you live in a beautiful part of the country.

I believe that's a dogwood tree. We had a couple of them in my yard growing up in PA.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Wow, Emily, gorgeous photos of the Colorado leaves!

Catrin, yes, I love living here most of the time (other than during the worst of the pollution in the winter and the worst of the heat of summer). So much beauty so close!

Those pink blossoms don't look like typical Dogwood blossoms to me, which have flatter leaves. But I don't know what it is either.

Definitely not dogwoods -- they are the state tree in NC, my home state and don't have the puffy, double blossoms like that. Here's what a pink dogwood looks like, up close:

Name:	download.jpeg 
Views:	91 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	18208
    Emily

Oh Emily,

I can't - just can't show those pics of Colorado to hubby. We traveled there in our little trailer (then - as we now have a class A) and I remember waking up to wildlife like this too). I loved every minute in this area. If there is one State I'd move in a heartbeat if I was allowed to stay in the USA year round it would be Colorado. I don't care about the cold - we'd just move down some in the winter. hihi I fell in love with this state. When we retire (in a couple of years), we plan on visiting this state more thoroughly.

But just to "torture" him, I think I will show him the pics. He'll be reminiscing about the good old time we miss. With our Cdn $ dropped to about $1.35, it becomes a bit too much to travel, especially in a motorhome. So we stay in Canada... but we'll be back for sure.

Thanks for sharing.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Quote Originally Posted by BikeDutchess View Post
    Love seeing the fall colors! My pics are from a couple of weeks ago. We've already had the first snow on the mountain peaks.

2016.09.20-264-P1040870-Pano-BigCottonwoodCanyon by DutchRosie, on Flickr
    luv
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron