Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: September rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

Cranking', I do understand. I'm widely known for breaking down at such events, myself. Have had people tell me I could make a good living as a professional cryer at funerals. Oh, yeah, I do understand.

Emily, our family once had a reunion in Park City and I was very impressed with the bicycling in the area. Didn't get a chance to actually do any riding, but would love to return to the area and give it a try. My only issue would be needing a day or two to adapt to the elevation. We flew into Salt Lake and drove up from there. Only at 1500 feet, here, so noticed the change, right away. With you working your way west, I imagine you've acclimated as you go.

Back, here, at home, another inch of rain, last night on top of the four inches we've had this last week and all of that on top of an unusually wet summer. Some of my homemade trails around the house are way too wet and mushy to ride, some even under water. Thank heavens for the fat bike. On the trails that I can ride, those huge tires make all the difference. Standard 2" or 2.2" tires dig way too deep into the mushy stuff. I can understand why some locals in the area use fat bikes for all their mountain biking, all year long.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 09-10-2016 at 07:20 AM.

We barely made it to the meeting place to go to the ghost bike service... not like us at all, but about 12 of us left from a guys's house, about a mile from the spot. It was lovely and moving, and while sad, I didn't really cry. I felt like it a few times, but I come from a religious tradition which doesn't really have the hysterical crying at funerals, so not a problem. There were probably 200 people there! There were 3 ministers, 2 from the man's church, and one woman who is involved in cycling advocacy and rides, and is a minister. They changed some traditional prayers to a cycling theme, and gave examples that were relevant to the situation, from gospel, which was interesting to me, as I know nothing about the New Testament. At the end, they sang Amazing Grace and gave out white roses to leave by the ghost bike. I think i read it's only going to be up for awhile, but it was nice, and the police were friendly to us and did a good job blocking the road and redirecting traffic that was surprised, as this was on a main road.
    The hardest thing for me was to see the man's son, a young marine, in full dress uniform, who reminded me of my son. He was in boot camp when it happened, and couldn't come home, so this is why the service was today. I hope i never go to one of these again.
    We decided to ride home the long way, and actually got in a 17 mile ride, enough before the charity ride tomorrow, which has been changed, and is now closer in miles to a metric, than 50.
    Last edited by Crankin; 09-10-2016 at 10:51 AM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

beautiful riding area Emily, thanks for taking us there!!!

After a night of being social we had a short slow wake-up ride on one of our favorite roads before breakfast…just 12 miles but such a good way to start the day. Now I have work research and writing to do the rest of the day
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Makes me warm and cozy to see those pics, rebecca. Already having to wear a coat and leggings to ride, now, and it's going to only get colder and colder, up here in the north woods of Wisconsin. Been a great summer riding season for me, though.

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Makes me warm and cozy to see those pics, rebecca. Already having to wear a coat and leggings to ride, now, and it's going to only get colder and colder, up here in the north woods of Wisconsin. Been a great summer riding season for me, though.
    Yikes. We've been having a September heat wave. Usually when I ride on such a hot day I take breaks in the shade while everyone else rides without stopping. Today many people stopped to cool down during the last 10 miles whenever we found a tree. Many ran out of water, but the ride organizers did a good job of sending SAG drivers out to hand out cold bottles of water.

Most of the ride was great. Lots of friendly people, beautiful scenery and amazing locally grown fruit at the rest stops. I passed a farm with lots of ducks and turkeys. Also passed a field covered with large spider webs that glistened with dew. And the views of the Catoctin Mountains are like visual prozac, beautiful and calming.

My cell phone camera does not do it justice. One photo shows the view from the Gettysburg battlefield. The others show a neat historical marker I found while doing some exploring off the official route.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160910_121152_181.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	18154 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160910_103928_863.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	18153 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160910_103820_463.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	18155

Here are some photos from the same area, taken last fall.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151121_125024_796.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	18156 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151121_125049_439.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	18157
    Last edited by ny biker; 09-10-2016 at 05:26 PM.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    beautiful riding area Emily, thanks for taking us there!!!

After a night of being social we had a short slow wake-up ride on one of our favorite roads before breakfast…just 12 miles but such a good way to start the day. Now I have work research and writing to do the rest of the day

I love photos of roads like this. They're so inviting...

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Well, we had an adventure today, and it was not the metric we planned.
    Had a great dinner in Amherst last night, and then went right to bed. Got up at 5:30 to DH and our friend saying the weather looked horrible. So, at 7:30 we went out to do a 25 mile ride, before it hit... we didn't even attempt the charity ride.
    Had a lovely time traveling the roads of the "Happy Valley," including one difficult climb. When we were 6 miles from his house, the skies opened, thunder and wind. Bad. DH and I had our rain jackets and helmet covers, but our friend did not. After almost getting blown off of the road, we made it to Belchertown center, where we hid out under the overhang of the town hall for about an hour +. After hypothermia almost setting in, we thankfully had a 3 mile slog up Rt 202 back to the house.
    It was fun, but I am glad we did not do the metric. Heading out to lunch and then home.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

NWG….There’s something about having a home in a place that's usually like an endless mild summer that I like …and being close enough to area’s where I can experience the seasons when wanted. Enjoy your fall rides through woods that look like stained-glass windows!!!!!

Thanks NY…. Your photos remind me of friends who do long rural rides going north out of D.C. Beautiful country. Even with the heat I'm glad your ride gave you some “beautiful and calming” feelings!!!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by BikeDutchess View Post
    Wonderful photos of your ride, Emily! That is a nice trail, especially starting & ending in Coalville to catch the downhill coming back. It's so nice to see all the signs of fall.
    Thanks BD! Where in Utah are you? We are in Dinosaur Nat'l Monument now. More excellent cycling!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Cranking', I do understand. I'm widely known for breaking down at such events, myself. Have had people tell me I could make a good living as a professional cryer at funerals. Oh, yeah, I do understand.

Emily, our family once had a reunion in Park City and I was very impressed with the bicycling in the area. Didn't get a chance to actually do any riding, but would love to return to the area and give it a try. My only issue would be needing a day or two to adapt to the elevation. We flew into Salt Lake and drove up from there. Only at 1500 feet, here, so noticed the change, right away. With you working your way west, I imagine you've acclimated as you go.
    Yes, after riding in Yellowstone, it's been all downhill from there (elevation-wise!)
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Thanks BD! Where in Utah are you? We are in Dinosaur Nat'l Monument now. More excellent cycling!
    I'm in SLC. The weather is just perfect right now - glad you're having fun!

Yesterday we did a beautiful ride in and outside of Dinosaur National Monument. We are in the Utah section, near Jensen. The climb out of the campground (Green River, by the river!) is steep and arduous, but once you get up higher, it's not so bad. Here are a few shots.

Attachment 18158 Attachment 18159 Attachment 18160

Ended up with around 32 miles. Today was a hike, and tomorrow will be more cycling.
    Emily

My rides have not been as exciting as some of yours, although Sunday's thunderstorm was exciting in a not good way!
    Today, I rode exactly 20 miles, just some of my favorite local roads in my old town, and back along Rt. 117, which while busy, is flat. DH pushed the pace and I ended up with an average over 15. This is good for me, these days.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

15 would be good for me any day.

Working frantically to get all my trail work done before freeze up, but take time at the end of each day to ride on my homemade trails. Work of love, though, and some of these trails will make terrific cross country ski trails.