Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: September rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

Emily that looks wonderful. I am giddy as we are doing a backroads S24O this weekend to Atlanta, Id. - Hot Springs soak is on the list.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

That sounds great, Sky King. Do enjoy!

I don't think I ever posted about our last ride in Dinosaur NM. It was actually a full day of bike-hike-bike-hike-bike. We took our mountain bikes since we knew part of the way was on an unpaved road. We rode down to Josie's cabin at the end of the road, a truly fascinating look back at a homesteader's environment. On the way we stopped to see some amazing petroglyphs. At Josie's Cabin, we parked the bikes and took a short hike into Box Canyon before heading back down the unpaved, then paved road to the visitor's center. There, we again locked the bikes and took a hike on the Fossil Discovery Trail up to the Dinosaur Quarry, where we were astonished to see and touch actual dinosaur bones. SO AMAZING!

Finally, we pedaled back to the campground. I think the ride was only about 22 miles (but on knobby tires felt a lot longer), and the hiking around 3.5 miles total, but we were totally spent. An awesome last day!

If you ever get a chance to go to Dinosaur National Monument, near Jensen, Utah, DO IT. There are other parts of the park in Colorado as well, but we only explored the Utah portion. That's the only part of the park where you can see dinosaur bones, btw. And the cycling is great!

Attachment 18161 Attachment 18162 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9036_01.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	18163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9054_01.jpg 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	18164 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9072_01.jpg 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	18165
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Emily, you are an inspiration for me to get back out west for a visit. I really don't know of anyone that has biked so many spots out there. You could write a book on it. Hmmm?

As for me, 31 miles, today, on the Salsa Warbird 700x35 gravel road bike. 12 miles were gravel and that was the destination. All the paved miles were getting there and back, though riding pavement with this bike is equally satisfying. The gravel was in excellent shape, thanks to recent wet weather, so actually had to work to find spots where I could have a little fun fishtailing and chugging though soft stuff. Guess that makes me a hard core gravel rider. Too easy, so did 4 more miles on my homegrown mountain bike trails on our property when I got home. What's happening to the cautious road bike girl that used to be me?

Heading to Florida for a week for a conference in St. Pete that my husband will attend. Not looking forward to it. Too many darn people for a country girl like me. Not my kind of place at all. Might as well be a different planet. My stress levels are way up there. Might survive if I can find a bike shop and rent a bike, though.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 09-17-2016 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Emily, you are an inspiration for me to get back out west for a visit. I really don't know of anyone that has biked so many spots out there. You could write a book on it. Hmmm?
    Absolutely no interest. Just writing a blog is enough for me -- I can hardly keep up as it is! But thank you; we have been very fortunate to travel to so many different spots and ride in so many gorgeous places!

Your ride sounds great -- you are an animal! After 31 miles, I am quite sure I would have been happy to put up my feet and rest, but not you...tough singletrack!

I have to admit that I love Florida. Not the crazy busy spots, but there are plenty of less developed places that are still beautiful. We spent last winter in Winter Garden and enjoyed the paved bike paths there. We rode as often as we could. We will do the same this year. There are actually some decent hills in Lake County -- I had no idea. The path goes out into less developed areas and is very pretty. On weekdays, there are only a few other retired old farts like us riding, so it doesn't feel like busy, hectic Florida at all.

I think the key to Florida is not to drive. Once our motorhome is parked and all we do is bike and walk, we can enjoy it almost as much as any other place. Good luck surviving your time there!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

[QUOTE=north woods gal;714262]wnyrider, that's a Banjo Brothers bag. They're a small outfit out of Minneapolis. Very good bags at very affordable prices. Just happened to notice them at a local bike shop, this summer, and thought I would give one a try. Liked it so much went back and bought another. Amazing bag for just $30.QUOTE]

Late thanks for reply!

I swear I posted this earlier, but obviously, no I didn't.
    We had a busy weekend, and i am now recovering. Cycling was a good part of it. Late Friday afternoon our friends came in from Amherst and off we went for our first night of theatre and dinner in Bston, this season. A brilliant late summer New England day, we walked about 1.5 miles to a Mexican restaurant, tucked away in an alley. It's not new and was outstanding and authentic. After eating outside, we hiked back to the theatre, amid people mostly looking 30 years younger than me! The play was "interesting," but we had an early wake up call. Our friends spent the night and we were up at 6:30 to eat and then head out for a ride in Little Compton and Tiverton, RI/Westport, MA This is a less traveled part of both states, often called the farm coast. DH and I were leading with another guy. We had a beautiful day. Of course, the usual characters, including 2 women who came on the ride, but didn't want to be on the ride, as they were slower than most. They were a bit rude to DH at the beginning when one made a left from the right side of the road (they told him they don't need his instructions), but after losing people (we were sweeping) who did not read the leaders' email and downloaded or printed an old route, we were all mellowed out by lunch. DH and the other leader switched positions and I was sweeping DH's faster group, of which I could barely keep up with. But, the end of this ride is a 2 mile false flat, and it did go by quickly, as did the climbing near the end. 42 miles of fun.
    Then, the 4 of us changed in the car, while the others went off to eat at a seafood place, we went to a winery, where we drank a bottle of wine and had appetizers, outside. Perfect. We then hurried off to our luxurious Hampton Inn (there aren't many good options to stay around here), change, shower and head to dinner at one the most fabulous places I've been to recently. We came back this morning and i am wiped. Fast riding, good food and wine, great weather. One day of work, then off to CA to see grandchild #2 (who cares about her parents...)
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

As expected, our ride to Atlanta Idaho was beautiful. Overall we rode 100 miles - all on dirt roads- still tired ~. Some of it was really wash boarded so sure glad I took the ECR with the 3" wide tires. We drove to a campground Friday night - full moon and the young people in the site next to us stayed up ALL NIGHT - OMG, we were all bleary eyed Sat. am. Atlanta has 1 bar/cafe and they serve Burgers - period. Even our mostly vegetarian buddy decided a burger and a brew was easier than firing up the alcohol stove (we can be so lazy) Plus the bar has Stone IPA - a great beer. Camp was about 2 miles from town but ended up being free and the hot springs were exactly what my tired body needed. We did have unexpected rain but was during the night. Continuing with our effort to support the local economy, the cafe/bar agreed to open and serve us breakfast - pretty nice folks in this small mining town. As the road follows the middle fork of the Boise river it is mostly a gradual climb to Atlanta and thus a lovely return trip on Sunday. The DH decided he was in the mood to pedal so he made it to Twin Springs (a developed hot springs spot) well ahead of most of us but we were all fine doing our own Private Idaho ride. Fall colors and the quiet more than made up for the noisy Friday night. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	atlanta2016.jpg 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	18177
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Emily, by coincidence I find myself in Lake County, Florida, since my hubby has cousins, here.

Two days without riding to get here was driving me nuts, so found rental place at the beginning of a paved R-T, the West Orange Bike Trail and off I went in the 90 degree plus heat and humidity. WAY underestimated what I was up against. The trail was a breeze, but by the time I hit mile 12, the heat and humidity had me bonking.

Really a triple whammy. Had been eating light because of the heat and, as result, could feel the signs oh low blood sugar setting in. Being diabetic, l know how dangerous this could be. Also could feel dehydration setting in to the danger level. Had already finished the single bottle of water I had brought. Lastly, new area, so my allergies were going nuts. Honestly as close to crashing and shutting down on the trail as I've been in my life. VERY dangerous. Was all I could do not to pass out.

Thank the goddess that I managed to limp back three miles to another bike station. Guzzled down three quarts of water and gobbled down two candy bars, then waited half hour for my system to recover.

Back to normal, now, and made good time the last 9 miles to the trail head.

For sure, will do more biking while down, here - lovely country - but lesson learned.

Doing an organized International Peace Day ride today that ends at the beach sunset and a concert in Santa Monica. For us only 3 miles of the 10 mile ride but a good 3 miles of being with kindred spirits.

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other." - Mother Teresa
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Emily, by coincidence I find myself in Lake County, Florida, since my hubby has cousins, here.

Two days without riding to get here was driving me nuts, so found rental place at the beginning of a paved R-T, the West Orange Bike Trail and off I went in the 90 degree plus heat and humidity. WAY underestimated what I was up against. The trail was a breeze, but by the time I hit mile 12, the heat and humidity had me bonking.

Really a triple whammy. Had been eating light because of the heat and, as result, could feel the signs oh low blood sugar setting in. Being diabetic, l know how dangerous this could be. Also could feel dehydration setting in to the danger level. Had already finished the single bottle of water I had brought. Lastly, new area, so my allergies were going nuts. Honestly as close to crashing and shutting down on the trail as I've been in my life. VERY dangerous. Was all I could do not to pass out.

Thank the goddess that I managed to limp back three miles to another bike station. Guzzled down three quarts of water and gobbled down two candy bars, then waited half hour for my system to recover.

Back to normal, now, and made good time the last 9 miles to the trail head.

For sure, will do more biking while down, here - lovely country - but lesson learned.
    I'm glad it ended well -- too bad it was such an uncomfortable lesson!

Enjoy the ride and concert, Rebecca, it sounds lovely.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Glad it turned out OK, Northwoods. I think we all learn lessons like this at least once!
    I am in CA, no riding for me. Going to be posting in the hiking thread.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

So many interesting rides and stories this month.
    I've been riding but have been pretty busy and distracted with work, so I haven't been on the forum lately.

I've done way more bike commuting this month than I ever did in the past. I'm averaging at least 3 times a week. The weather has been reasonable- that is to say pleasant in the morning and not too hot in the afternoons. So a lot of my miles have been from the commute, which is currently 19 miles round trip. When they finished a three mile section of path that cuts through the desert between Davis Monthan AFB and the mountain bike park, Fantasy Island, it made the commute a bit shorter (previously 22 miles round trip) and meant that about 80% of the commute has no cars to worry about. Also, since it includes 2 1/2 miles along a dry river bed, a half mile of little mini-ranches and three miles of open desert, it's interesting watching for birds along the route. I'm up to about 58 species seen while commuting over the last 5 years.

I've gotten inspired to work on "birding by bike" and got a new pair of Zeiss Terra Ed 10x25 binoculars to carry in my jersey pocket. So some of my rides have been focused on adding to my "birding by bike" list.

Aside from that, I've been getting ready for a short bike tour with my son this weekend, so I've been ride the Surly a bit more. I am hoping that sticking with the Brooks saddle is not a mistake. Sit bones are okay but sometimes I have pressure in the front of the saddle. I've been literally pounding it with rock or hammer to try to reshape it! There are a few compromises with riding the Surly because of my height and short torso and it's so heavy compared to the Ruby that I call it the tank. Anyway- I am almost packed. We are driving to Williams, AZ, then riding to the Grand Canyon, staying two days and riding back. My husband put in for the days off to go too but they weren't approved.

I'll post pictures and a report when we get back.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

That's a pretty long commute, AZ, but it sounds like a nice ride! Reminds me of a friend who's retired now but says that she didn't used to commute by bike -- she did a bike ride every morning that ended at her job. Have fun on your trip!

I did my hill ride last night, about 17 miles. I was out of town last weekend so it was my first ride in 8 days. To be honest, I am tired of slowly struggling up the steep hills and wish there was a flatter alternative that is safe after dark. So I thought about that while I rode, and I think the real problem is that it's harder to haul my butt up those hills with the 10 extra pounds that I have gained in the last year. And I am frustrated by that weight gain. I don't know if it's just the looming specter of menopause or if I need to have my thyroid checked, but it seems that one day of over-indulging -- like a piece of cake and a couple of pina coladas at a 90th birthday party -- leads to a 2-3 pound gain that won't go away regardless of how many days I don't overeat. And exercise or lack thereof seems to have no effect either. So yeah, frustrating. And if I don't figure out how to lose at least 5 of those pounds I will have to buy new clothes next summer in a larger size, because only two pairs of summer pants fit me right now.

Meanwhile I am thinking ahead to the weekend and the last few days of warm weather that we will enjoy this year. It will probably be my last bike ride of the year in a sleeveless jersey...

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

[QUOTE=ny biker;714437]To be honest, I am tired of slowly struggling up the steep hills and wish there was a flatter alternative that is safe after dark. So I thought about that while I rode, and I think the real problem is that it's harder to haul my butt up those hills with the 10 extra pounds that I have gained in the last year. And I am frustrated by that weight gain. I don't know if it's just the looming specter of menopause or if I need to have my thyroid checked, but it seems that one day of over-indulging -- like a piece of cake and a couple of pina coladas at a 90th birthday party -- leads to a 2-3 pound gain that won't go away regardless of how many days I don't overeat. And exercise or lack thereof seems to have no effect either. So yeah, frustrating. And if I don't figure out how to lose at least 5 of those pounds I will have to buy new clothes next summer in a larger size, because only two pairs of summer pants fit me right now.

[QUOTE]

Right there with you. I used to be able to maintain weight by being moderate during the week, without worrying at all about what I ate on the weekends. Then it turned into just being able to freely eat/indulge on one weekend day. Now it seems that it takes months and months to lose only a few pounds, and one bad meal undoes it all. (FWIW, I'm 43, so it probably is looming menopause)

I tell myself that hauling this extra weight up hills is making me stronger. If I ever manage to lose the weight I'm going to be a rockstar with this new strength. But I am sad and don't want to give up my favorite jerseys which are just a tad too tight.
    Last edited by Aromig; 09-22-2016 at 12:00 PM.

Az, another lifelong birder, here! Always adds to a ride and gives me a reason (and excuse) to ride a bit slower.

Now in St. Pete, Fl for a few days, so went looking for a bike to rent close to the resort. No one had a road bike, but I did find an old 8 speed cassette Giant MTB with grip shift to rent, instead of all the usual tourist bikes. That old warhorse and I have been getting along, fine, though. Lovely area. Found a nice state park a 5 mile ride from the resort and a coffee shop, so I'm happy. Only 15 miles, today, but pleased to report that this northern girl has been able to handle this Florida heat and humidity, now that I know what it takes to ride in it, safely.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 09-22-2016 at 04:35 PM.