Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2005

    The things you didn't want to know...

    To disable ads, please log-in.

    Lots of you know that I'm a medical student. You may also know that I'm hypothyroid. There is a very, very good reason we don't do routine ultrasounds on patients without a good reason (we just do them on each other to learn how). The very, very good reason is that you may find things. Things that have a greater than 95% chance of being nothing. But once you find them, you have to investigate them because there's a 5% chance they might be very bad - and much more easily treated if found early.

    So...I'm off to an endocrinologist since I now know I have a thyroid nodule. I also know (based on my lab values) that the only way to diagnose the darned thing will be needle biopsy. For something I didn't know (or really want to know) I had, that is almost certainly nothing.

    Oh, the fun of being a medical student.

    (Yes, I know the odds. I also know that I need to know - as most people do. No, I'm not overly concerned - mostly just not looking forward to an unpleasant procedure and the time/money that accompany that during what is already a stressful period).
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Bummer bb, sorry you have to do that.

    Electra Townie 7D

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Traveling Nomad
    Gag...I hope everything turns out okay!

    I completely understand. When I fractured my pelvis in a cycling accident back in '05, I got to read the CT scan findings in my medical records. There were several things in there completely unrelated to the pelvis that worried me! I took it to my PCP to check out, and she was reassuring, but still...you are right that there are things we just don't want to know.

    Thinking of you....

    2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Concord, MA
    Yup, I had a CT scan about 10 years ago, that showed I had a nodule on my adrenal gland. The CT scan was for back/lung pain, which it did not help with, and after being freaked out for a good part of a vacation with DH and my dad in Hilton Head after getting this phone call, I rarely think of it.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

    2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Boise Idaho
    Just read this and it reminded me of my first ultra sound when I was expecting my first child and they said "wow" you have quite a bit of scar tissue on your kidney (a bad tumble in college where I landed on a metal pipe) that child just turned 30 and my kidney is still going strong.
    Sky King
    Gilles Berthoud "Bernard"
    Surly ECR "Eazi"
    Empowering the Bicycle Traveler



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts