Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Panty Line Chafing

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi everyone

I am experiencing chafing in my upper leg area (crotch) and also under my butt cheeks. It's around the outside where my panty line is (I do not wear panties under my shorts). I have no sit bone pressure and no soft tissue pressure so very happy in those areas. I have tried Chamois Butt'r but it doesn't seem to help.

From my searches on this site I'm getting that I may require a T shaped seat instead of a pear shaped seat. I currently have 2 seats in my possession, a Specialized Lithia Gel and the Ruby Gel. Both are 155 and I was measured at 131. I am having the issue with both seats. Is it likely that I need a different shaped seat or could it be something else?

It could be that a 155 saddle is too wide. The 143mm width might work better with either saddle. It could also be that a different shape would be better -- I think someone here has found the Specialized Oura to be most comfortable.

Another thing to consider is the shorts. For example, if they are old, is the chamois wearing out? Or is it bunching up or causing chafing for another reason? Or are the shorts too big?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Another thing to consider is the shorts. For example, if they are old, is the chamois wearing out? Or is it bunching up or causing chafing for another reason? Or are the shorts too big?
    How can you tell if a chamois is wearing out? Shorts #1 might be too big but I think shorts #2 are ok. I do have a third pair which are a liner and they are definitely tighter than 1 and 2 Perhaps I will try shorts #3 next time out and see if there is a difference.

I had a specialized Oura 168 that I bought in part because of the saddle that I got during a fitting (it seemed extra wide) and it did fine, except on extra long rides I'd get chafing where you are. I bought a Oura 155 and now its fine. So I agree with NY Biker, the 155 might be too wide. Then again, it could be shape too. The only way to tell is to try a different saddle. If you do try the Oura - keep in mind I think it takes a little getting used to. My lower back hurt for the first two or three rides, but then it was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by gingergirl View Post
    How can you tell if a chamois is wearing out? Shorts #1 might be too big but I think shorts #2 are ok. I do have a third pair which are a liner and they are definitely tighter than 1 and 2 Perhaps I will try shorts #3 next time out and see if there is a difference.
    Sometimes you can just tell by looking at the chamois that it's causing a problem -- I have a pair of shorts that recently started chafing, and when I looked at them I could see the fabric had started to bunch up on one side. I think it was heat-fused into place at that point rather than stitched the old fashioned way, and after too much movement and stretching of the fabric something gave way. But sometimes you just start to have problems with shorts that used to be fine and still look okay, because the padding has compressed.

Gone but not forgotten:

Thanks ny biker

I have had this on rides over 25 miles since the beginning. I have tried every kind/shape of saddle and bike short to no avail. My chafing is just under the butt cheek in a fairly small area, so I finally just resorted to using either Nu-skin (liquid bandaid) or a heavy duty band aid to cover that spot. Not ideal, but it does the trick. Hope you have better luck in finding a saddle that doesn't chafe.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Quote Originally Posted by Grits View Post
    I have had this on rides over 25 miles since the beginning. I have tried every kind/shape of saddle and bike short to no avail. My chafing is just under the butt cheek in a fairly small area, so I finally just resorted to using either Nu-skin (liquid bandaid) or a heavy duty band aid to cover that spot. Not ideal, but it does the trick. Hope you have better luck in finding a saddle that doesn't chafe.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Like you I'm ok on the shorter rides but I'm doing a longer one tomorrow so I may try one of your tips or just apply a ton of butt'r and see if that helps. Oh, the things we do to ride!!

I also have one spot that gets irritated no matter what I do. Since it's only one one side I figure it's due to a leg length discrepancy or something about the way that foot is angled -- my feet are not symmetrical due to surgery on the right ankle back in the '90s. But I don't feel like dealing with the trial and error of trying to address it and potentially causing other problems as a result. I do find that the right shorts make a difference, as does lots of chamois cream for longer rides. Then I use the chamois cream as a moisturizer for a few days after a long ride to help the skin heal.

I usually only ride my bike a couple of times each week. I supposed if I wanted to ride every day I'd need a better solution.

I'm curious about using Nu-skin, which I remember using once or twice on cuts or blisters when I was younger. I would worry that a band-aid would come loose and cause worse chafing.

Since last winter I've been having problems with chafed skin around the armpits. At first it only happened after bike rides and I hoped it would go away when summer arrived and I was wearing sleeveless jerseys instead of long or short sleeves. But this summer some of the sweaters and t-shirts that I wear to work have caused it, too -- large seams or scratchy fabric are a problem. I've been okay lately by using lots of Aveeno lotion twice a day but am concerned about what will happen when I have to start wearing sleeves again. Chamois cream on my skin and on the fabric under my arms helps a bit but I was thinking of trying something like large band aids or first aid tape to cover the skin. Maybe I will try Nu-skin and see if that helps.

Gone but not forgotten:

NY, I have always had issues with "itchy seams," waistbands, anything that touches more than lightly. I think it's got something to do with allergies. When I was struggling with asthma and hives in the late 80s, both my pulmonologist and allergist noticed that the hives were always around where my tights/leotard/shorts (aerobics days) were seamed. As a kid, I complained bitterly, and I remember making my mom so mad, she ripped a pair of pants off of my legs (she really was not a horrible violent mom). If certain tops touch me the wrong way on my left shoulder, I get red blotches. About 8-9 years ago, I got obsessed with merino wool. I always wore wool as a kid, but then came 23 years in the sunbelt. Merino never bothered me, but in the last 3 years, I have developed sensitivity, to the point where I had to take Claritin to wear my Ibex. It wasn't so bad last winter, but I think maybe because it was so warm, I didn't wear it as much.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Yes I have all sorts of skin problems when the ideopathic-possibly-autoimmune hives flare up. Tight clothes or anything pressed against my skin, like a wrinkle in a sheet or in my pjs that I'm lying on in my sleep, can cause inflammation and itching. I think it's a form of dermatographia. And the hives have been flaring up quite a bit, last winter and again this summer after the bad allergy problems I had in June when we were in Massachusetts. So it is possible that the underarm chafing will subside as the current flare up subsides.

Gone but not forgotten:

Hey, why can't I post here??

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Yes I have all sorts of skin problems when the ideopathic-possibly-autoimmune hives flare up. Tight clothes or anything pressed against my skin, like a wrinkle in a sheet or in my pjs that I'm lying on in my sleep, can cause inflammation and itching. I think it's a form of dermatographia. And the hives have been flaring up quite a bit, last winter and again this summer after the bad allergy problems I had in June when we were in Massachusetts. So it is possible that the underarm chafing will subside as the current flare up subsides.
    No solution for you NY Biker, just wanted to say "that sucks." I'm sometimes have itchy issues in my underarm area (and will spread all over if I don't get it under control) when I'm super stressed. Lotions and Benadryl usually helps. Mine only flares once every few years, I can't imagine dealing with it all summer. I'm sorry.

Thanks Aromig. I did find cortisone cream to be helpful but try not to use it too much. The thing with the hives does suck but at least it's just annoying, not life-threatening.

Quote Originally Posted by katey View Post
    Hey, why can't I post here??
    Well this one came through -- I think there can be a delay for posts from new members.

Gone but not forgotten:

I get hives as well and don't know the cause but interesting to hear that others have the same issue with things touching the skin. There are days I can scratch my name lightly with my fingernail on my arm and it swells up a bit so it's readable. I take Reactine every second day to keep it under control.