Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Specialized Vita Comp Carbon vs Giant Thrive Comax 2 or ????

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Everybody,

I'm not a newbie, been riding my steel 2009 Jamis Coda Comp very happily to work, errands, camping, you name it, it carries everything. And without any packs on it with its current setup it weighs in at 31 lbs (OK, there was half a water bottle). And it is tough to keep up with my buddies on the long weekend rides.

So I'm thinking it's time to pull on my big girl bike shorts, master clipless pedals (ack!) and get a different bike for those longer group rides. Anybody have any thoughts on the

Specialized Vita Comp Carbon

or

the Giant (from their Liv line) Thrive Comax 2

I'm open to other ideas as well. Thanks in advance for any input!

Marcy

Hi Marcy

Are you set on staying with a flat bar bike or would you consider a drop bar bike? For long rides on pavement, I use drop bar bikes, exclusively. Drop bars offer a lot of advantages, one being all the various hand positions possible. By alternating between all the available positions, really helps me to reduce fatigue on long rides, not just in my hands and arms, but my back and so on. Another is being able to drop down and reduce my silhouette when fighting the wind. This can save me a couple of gears compared to a flat bar bike. Really noticeable in a stiff headwind. Being upright with a flat bar bike is comfy, for sure, but if you'e trying to keep up with a bunch of hardcore roadies on their fast drop bar bikes, you'll be at a disadvantage. Drop bar road bikes are more efficient for long miles on pavement. Not a deal breaker, by any means, but something to consider.

I do like the lower gearing on the Specialized if you'll be fighting some tough hills. Also like the slightly wider tires when you hit some rough pavement spots. Both bikes have the new Tiagra components which are actually pretty darn good. Bought a new Tiagra equipped bike this year and had no complaints.

Best of luck.

Joanie
    Last edited by north woods gal; 08-27-2016 at 04:58 PM.

Hi Joanie,

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. Yeah, I'd have to say I really do want the flat bar with some allowances for adjusting hand positions, and I definitely prefer a slightly more upright position. I mean I'm not the Wicked Witch of the West upright, but the racer, in the drops position is not for me, I'm not comfortable there. I'd say my friends, while much stronger/faster than I am, are not what I would call hard core roadies.

Yep, definitely have some tough hills here in Colorado, so appreciate the comments on the gearing. As I like to be prepared for a variety of surfaces, your tire remarks are definitely welcome! I have Schwalbe Marathons on my Jamis. Glad to hear you like the Tiagras

Marcy

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Hi Marcy

Are you set on staying with a flat bar bike or would you consider a drop bar bike? For long rides on pavement, I use drop bar bikes, exclusively. Drop bars offer a lot of advantages, one being all the various hand positions possible. By alternating between all the available positions, really helps me to reduce fatigue on long rides, not just in my hands and arms, but my back and so on. Another is being able to drop down and reduce my silhouette when fighting the wind. This can save me a couple of gears compared to a flat bar bike. Really noticeable in a stiff headwind. Being upright with a flat bar bike is comfy, for sure, but if you'e trying to keep up with a bunch of hardcore roadies on their fast drop bar bikes, you'll be at a disadvantage. Drop bar road bikes are more efficient for long miles on pavement. Not a deal breaker, by any means, but something to consider.

I do like the lower gearing on the Specialized if you'll be fighting some tough hills. Also like the slightly wider tires when you hit some rough pavement spots. Both bikes have the new Tiagra components which are actually pretty darn good. Bought a new Tiagra equipped bike this year and had no complaints.

Best of luck.

Joanie
    +1

Have you had a chance to ride either of them? Fit is the most important thing.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Hi Marcy,

Those are the same two bikes I looked at a couple of years ago, although I was looking at the aluminum versions. I don't want to click on the links and be tempted to get the carbon What I remember was the Thrive seemed to be priced better for comparable components. I ended up with the Vita simply because it fit better. I'm short, and I just couldn't get the Thrive to fit right. You're probably taller than me, so there should be more options for finding the right size.

They're both nice bikes. Have fun and good luck!