Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Magnetic pedals

Magnetic pedals

To disable ads, please log-in.

Since clip or clipless pedals wouldn't work for me, I've considered getting a pair of magnetic pedals.
    I've seen a few pair come and go, but was wondering if any of you had ever tried magnetic pedals and what was your experience.
    These are the pedals I've seen on market now. http://www.maglockbikepedal.com/
    Bike Friday Petite Crusoe
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike

Have you tried a good pair of platform pedals with pins - BMX style? They look just like the magnetic version you linked to and I used them for most of my riding years until I moved to Frog pedals. You do have to watch out for pedal slap but the pins keep your shoes on the pedals and they are much less expensive. I used these Sun Ringle ZuZu pedals. The pins are adjustable and can be replaced. You need to determine what best fits your needs, but I wanted to mention these. I used them for both road and mountain biking.

What I currently use are flat road pedals without the clips, and they work fine, but I was hoping to try pedals that would provide me the same benefits as clip or clipless while still being very easy to get into and out of.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-21-2016 at 02:54 PM.
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike

Can't help you on the magnetic, but I've recently switched over to quality flat pedals with pins on all my bikes, including my road bikes and have been very pleased with the results. Originally went back to flats because I was getting cramps in my feet with clipless and would have to stop and unclip and massage the foot. Going flats solved the problem because I can now move my foot on the pedal when I feel a cramp developing. No more cramps, now, and no more having to stop.

As for the supposed loss of efficiency or power by going flats, for me it didn't happen. Using shoes that gave me good grip with the flats, testing it many times and keeping records, my average speed over the same stretch of 20 miles of pavement on the road bike, alternating clipless with flat, saw no change in my average speed. Zero. Zip. Nada. Felt a little funny at first with the flats, having gone clipless for so many years and I did have pay more attention to a proper pedal stroke with the flats, but won't go back to clipless, now. Will be selling off my clipless pedals.

I realize this is somewhat controversial and contrary to what so many of us have been told about going clipless to be more efficient and so on, to the point of no one questioning it, so I mention it only as an option. Nice to have choices. Don't want to start an argument with anyone, so I hope no one is offended or upset. (Some people will bite your head off if you tell them flats are as good as clipless - ask me how I know.) Flats work best for me, but that doesn't make them best for everyone.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 08-21-2016 at 10:00 AM.

These are similar to what I use currently
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike

The other day I did a group ride (50 mile road ride) with someone who used the pedals with the pins on a road bike. The pedals were red. He was very happy with them.

I find clipless pedals to be useful on climbs, especially when I'm tired or its very steep. That's when I focus on pulling up through the bottom of the pedal stroke. I also like to keep my shoes as loose as possible, which is not considered ideal for clipless pedals, but that's what's comfortable for me.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

If you get them let us know if you like them Sylvia....and if you'd recommend them. (eta...I’m sure his being a medical mechanical engineer helps in his designing….and the second design seems much better than his first. With more funding and the design evolving a couple more times and especially a lower price point it could be a good fixe pedal for me.)

It’s definitely good to have new choices in pedals for our different needs/wants. It would be interesting to feel if there is much difference in the engagement ease and the release force between Maglocks and the Crank Bros. Eggbeaters, which have been around for quite awhile. The cleats also seem large in the photos on the net and may be more awkward to walk in…..and as Muirenn wrote there are mixed reviews on the net, some being for the first design though….but then it’s the net

I really like MKS touring pedals with strapless toe clips on my commuter.
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 08-22-2016 at 03:31 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I have the Xpedo Spry on a couple of bikes. Very nice, lightweight pedal with pins. Believe it or not, work very well with my Birkenstocks. Holds them like glue.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 08-22-2016 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

I use clips on my spin bike that i have at home, they do a good job of holding my feet in place. But clips don't work for me on my regular bike because due to my disability, I can't easily get my foot into the clip and get going on the bike at the same time. Once I got going on the bike and got my feet in, I'm sure I'd be fine.

With the pedals I use now, they work, but I do have to pay more attention to keeping my feet on the pedal. And I don't have to with the clips, so this combined with getting more power on the upstroke, made me think magnetic might work better. But with magnetic pedals, I'm sure there is a balancing act between, having the magnets strong enough to keep your feet attached and weak enough to allow easy release, which is probably why these pedals allow you to swap magnets in and out to adjust the strength.

I've never tried pedals with pins though.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-22-2016 at 07:56 PM.
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike