Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Carbon post in carbon frame

Good morning..... I just purchased a new Ruby and for the first few days to adjust my seat post, I would loose the bolt and easily move the seat to where I wanted it. Now it feels like it is seized. I took it back to my LBS and they applied more carbon paste and said I might have to pound on the seat a bit to get it to move. I brought the bike home but it is no better and I don't think I should have to pound on it, that doesn't make sense to me but I am inexperienced so not really confident that I am right. From what I have read, the carbon paste is supposed to make things grippier and keep the post from sliding so I don't know why he would have applied more when the issue was that the post is stuck. I'm thinking of going back there this afternoon (an hour drive) but would like to have a better understanding of what should happen here. I have to move my post often to get bike in the car and I'm scared that pounding on the seat will cause damage to post or frame. anyone have any experience in this?

Carbon paste increases friction when under pressure, like clamping, and acts as a lube when not under pressure.

You could try warming up the seat tube/post area with a hair dryer to expand it and then discharge an entire CO2 cartridge with an inflator at the joint of the seat post and the seat collar to cool and shrink that area. Personally I wouldn’t want to do any damage to the frame so I’d have someone who has done it a number of times at an lbs do it and take the responsibility. Also ask them or call Specialized about your moving it often to get in your car.
    Roof/Hitch mount racks ftw.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Sorry that I can't suggest a fix for your problem, but I would suggest that frequent lowering/raising a carbon fiber seatpost in a carbon fiber frame is probably not a good practice. Also, in order to prevent damage to the carbon fiber, tightening the seatpost collar should be done with a torque wrench.

How small is the back of your car that you are needing to remove your saddle? I drive a compact and have never had to do this -- granted, it's a hatchback. Perhaps the same size car with a regular trunk would make matters difficult.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

What Jean said. It needs to be set appropriately to you correct saddle height, and left alone.

Are you removing the front wheel when you put it in the car? Lying the seats down? If that is not enough, remove the rear wheel as well, and have some rags, even packing material, to put it in your car to protect the chain stays from a rattling chain, and to hold the bike in place.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

+1 on previous comments. I never change my saddle position once it's been set correctly. And I was also advised by the LBS to use a torque wrench if I did want to move and re-tighten the collar.

I used to be able to get either my road bike or my mountain bike into the trunk of my old Camry by putting the rear seats down (there was an opening in the back wall of the trunk behind the seats, not the full width of the car but wide enough). I removed the front wheel, turned the handlebar and put the bike in front-first so the front fork went through the opening. I could also fit the whole bike in the trunk without putting the seats down if I took off both wheels. Either way the saddle never got in the way. Now I have a hatchback (Prius) with rear seats that fold flat so it's even easier.

Is your saddle very high when you ride? Mine is about even with the handlebars, so not too high. Maybe that makes it easier.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles