Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Sorry the shoulder is still causing problems. Walking has been my go-to cardio exercise since college -- 30 years now. All it really takes it good shoes and comfortable clothes. I increase the effort with hills, which are plentiful around here. And walking on a treadmill can be quite a workout if you increase the incline enough. Walking up and down stairs can also get your heart rate up if you knees are okay with it.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I agree, Catrin. I've always been a walker, through the time I was teaching aerobics right up to now. While it's not my go to cardio and has never been, it's a consistent activity, for over 30 years. Like today, I didn't have the will to get ready for a cold weather ride, but I could force myself out the door for a 3 mile fast walk. I can walk at a 4 mph pace when I want, which is pretty good. DH and I often take short walks on the days we don't do other stuff. And, I used to walk with my mom when she would visit, or I would go to San Diego. Before she got sick, she was often asked if she was a runner when she went for her physicals, she was in such good shape from walking.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thanks NY Biker! Sadly my shoulders are just plain...shot. One with torn tendons and the other an arthritic hot mess for which there is no fix unless it eventually gets bad enough for a shoulder replacement. As bad as it is now, it will have to get MUCH worse before I even consider that. Then there is the jacked neck and the...you get the picture.

I've always been a fast walker, my usual walking space is roughly 4 mph on the terrain around here. Tempted to fire up the gym membership again, but what would I do there? Only 2 machines that don't hurt on good days and the non-machine work just isn't possible. Why spend the money? Planet Fitness has the only fee structure I could justify, but I am very much against their philosophy. I simply refuse to belong to a gym that has free bagel and pizza nights, and for a couple other reasons.

So I'm trying to sell my kettlebell herd to reduce the temptation. While it's sad, it's also true that even light swing workouts have been causing sacrum and SI joint pain, probably lower back arthritis as well. Why not? It's everywhere else.... sigh.

But I can do Tai Chi, hike, and walk. I will take it! There may be other things that turn up that I can also do.
    Last edited by Catrin; 01-20-2017 at 02:09 PM.

Oh Catrin, I am so bummed to hear this. I know how much you enjoyed your kettlebells. Dang if it's not always something!

I do think fast walking, tai chi, and hiking are good, but it's also good to have at least a little upper body strength, just for daily living. Not sure how you could achieve that without kettlebells and with your bad shoulders. Sigh...
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Oh Catrin, I am so bummed to hear this. I know how much you enjoyed your kettlebells. Dang if it's not always something!

I do think fast walking, tai chi, and hiking are good, but it's also good to have at least a little upper body strength, just for daily living. Not sure how you could achieve that without kettlebells and with your bad shoulders. Sigh...
    Oh I had to to give up the upper body part of it more than a year ago because of shoulders and neck, we just kept discovering more and more about the pathologies underlying all of it. In the last year I could only use kettlebells for swings - which, if done properly, is NOT an upper-body exercise but uses the hips and legs for a good cardiovascular workout. There are many other kettlebell lifts for the upper body, such as the single-arm snatch, jerk, and Long Cycle (the last one was my chosen competition lift - it's a clean and jerk with a KB). And yes, it's not good for my upper body strength but what can I do? Isometric hold exercises IS an option, still researching if it could adversely impact my torn tendons in the one shoulder. It's is good for muscle strengthening, so it COULD be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Isometric hold exercises IS an option, still researching if it could adversely impact my torn tendons in the one shoulder. It's is good for muscle strengthening, so it COULD be an option.
    I see. I knew you'd had to cut back on your kettlebelling and couldn't do the overhead stuff, but assumed the swings were also somewhat upper body impacting. Hoping you can figure out something!
    Emily

I see. I knew you'd had to cut back on your kettlebelling and couldn't do the overhead stuff, but assumed the swings were also somewhat upper body impacting. Hoping you can figure out something!
    Working on it. Unless the shoulders are as jacked as mine, proper swings don't impact the arms as the hands are just holding them - it's a hip exercise. I'm not referring to the thing that crossfitters call swings...

Hoping I can at least do isometric holds, this uses no weight at all but can be highly effective. Good old Jack LeLane (however his last name is spelled) really focused on this method back in the day. Not much is heard of it these days as it requires NO gym equipment at all, hard to make money from it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Hoping I can at least do isometric holds, this uses no weight at all but can be highly effective. Good old Jack LeLane (however his last name is spelled) really focused on this method back in the day. Not much is heard of it these days as it requires NO gym equipment at all, hard to make money from it.
    I remember that! Jack LaLane was in amazing shape. Can you do planks at all? I am guessing no, with your shoulders. But not sure what other isometric hold you are referring to. Enlighten me?
    Emily

I remember that! Jack LaLane was in amazing shape. Can you do planks at all? I am guessing no, with your shoulders. But not sure what other isometric hold you are referring to. Enlighten me?
    Isometric exercises are those exercises that contracts the muscle without changing either angle of the joint or the length of the muscle. There are different approaches to isometric exercises for strength, and at least for my upper body, there is really only one approach that seems safe.

It's simply this. Intentionally contract the muscle and hold it without moving it once it's contracted. Sounds very simple, but I know of someone who lost no muscle tone after enduring a lengthy period in a body cast. All he was capable of doing were these isometric holds (as my trainer calls them)- for his entire body - and focused on that as often as he could. Now I'm not in HIS situation, and I'm weight bearing in other ways fortunately. Other good examples are things like squats, lunges, and push-ups. I can do the first two as much as my knees allow, I won't attempt push-ups (pain) - planks are actually better (no pain) and I think that's because there is no movement.I THINK I can also do this against a wall if I can find the right angle - basically a plank against the wall. That might actually be kinder than doing it on the floor as my entire bodyweight wouldn't be involved.

Good link to a broader discussion of isometric exercise in general. You will note a reference to certain activities that by their nature are isometric - including mountain biking, climbing, and skiing You will also note a discussion on a wider range of isometric exercises than what I mention above, but I'm focusing on options that might at least help me slow down the loss of upper body strength without hurting myself further.

Frankly, if my left shoulder weren't so *&*%^$@% arthritic, I think I would be more likely to allow them to fix the shoulder with the torn tendons. As that isn't the case, I will wait until/unless I lose more function in the torn shoulder because it's STILL more functional than the arthritic one - and I live alone.

Good information, Catrin, thanks. I knew that planks were isometric but couldn't think of too many other examples. It's definitely easier to do them on an angle against a wall. On the floor is hard as it uses a lot of core strength; it's certainly not just an upper body exercise. A side plank uses a lot of upper body but would probably be too tough on your shoulders.
    Emily

Good information, Catrin, thanks. I knew that planks were isometric but couldn't think of too many other examples. It's definitely easier to do them on an angle against a wall. On the floor is hard as it uses a lot of core strength; it's certainly not just an upper body exercise. A side plank uses a lot of upper body but would probably be too tough on your shoulders.
    Yes, no way I can do a side plank. There are many other ways as well - holding a weight in a static position without moving for a period of time, hard to explain but I think you understand. The important thing is the joint doesn't move and the muscle doesn't lengthen - and while some do use weights - body weight is usually enough. I've got to be more careful than many but I won't give up!

Stinks about the shoulders, mine are not as bad but still screwed up enough that I couldn't do a kettle bell thing if my life depended on it.

We have a new Planet Fitness less than a mile form the apt. so we joined. Turns out an elliptical works well on my bum leg, so I do that and lift a lot of weights. Their philosophy is bizarre, but I'm not there when they do their silliness, so I go in and work out and leave, I rarely even go into the locker room... so overall it's handy enough for me that I actually go.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Stinks about the shoulders, mine are not as bad but still screwed up enough that I couldn't do a kettle bell thing if my life depended on it.

We have a new Planet Fitness less than a mile form the apt. so we joined. Turns out an elliptical works well on my bum leg, so I do that and lift a lot of weights. Their philosophy is bizarre, but I'm not there when they do their silliness, so I go in and work out and leave, I rarely even go into the locker room... so overall it's handy enough for me that I actually go.
    Sounds great Pax! I wish that I could do weights of some kind...but such is life. Enjoy!

Pax, what is the silliness? I see their dumb ads, but I've never known anyone who went there (don't seem to be a lot around here), except some of my clients in my first internship.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Pax, what is the silliness? I see their dumb ads, but I've never known anyone who went there (don't seem to be a lot around here), except some of my clients in my first internship.
    Things like free bagel and or pizza nights. Tanning beds, around here at least, and if they think you're workout style makes someone else feel judged they may kick you out. They have large noise mailers if someone grunts too loud, different things like that. Afternall, they are NOT a gym, they are "Planet Fitness"!