Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Good point Crankin! It is a bit frustrating that I've multiple body parts that some would consider needing surgery, but I think surgery is over-prescribed in some cases. My goal is to stay mobile and functional. If I can't keep that goal without surgery then I may reconsider.

I've yet to find a local TaiChi class that isn't in the middle of my workday. There IS a free class held twice a month at a local church that I want to try out as it's on Saturday - and free - but they seem to always coincide with other commitments. I think October may be the month that I will finally get to go and try it out.

A few years ago I was looking for Tai Chi classes in Indy (a work colleague of mine had practiced it on Okinawa and raved about it and would do the classes with me) but found so few options. For awhile Beach Body sold a Tai Chi video program. I bought it, but didn't like it as much as I like in person classes. It did help me identify how I'm so much stronger in balancing on one side and helped me work on evening that out.

Glad you're being cautious, Catrin. Too many people say "sure, okay" whenever a doctor says 'lets cut!' on a shoulder, only to end up with minimal results after rehab.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Aromig View Post
    A few years ago I was looking for Tai Chi classes in Indy (a work colleague of mine had practiced it on Okinawa and raved about it and would do the classes with me) but found so few options. For awhile Beach Body sold a Tai Chi video program. I bought it, but didn't like it as much as I like in person classes. It did help me identify how I'm so much stronger in balancing on one side and helped me work on evening that out.
    Catrin I’ll second Tai Chi!!! (thinking i may have before )....especially for your enjoyment of hiking. Learning/feeling the integration of form and balance without force will help with your body movement and in cultivating an internal awareness of your mental/physical connections. It can give your hiking a feeling of moving with calm intention rather than force, which can also give you more insight into the beauty around you .
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Glad you're being cautious, Catrin. Too many people say "sure, okay" whenever a doctor says 'lets cut!' on a shoulder, only to end up with minimal results after rehab.
    That's what I'm thinking Pax - especially as this is a far-from-new injury and there is already tendon retraction. From what I've read that alone significantly lowers the success rate.

Also, if I decided to allow surgery, which part would I allow them to start with? They also want to "fix" my right metatarsal with a not-small surgery. THEN there is the... no. Just...no. That answer may eventually change, but hopefully all my broken and arthritic parts will hang in there for the rest of my life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    Catrin I’ll second Tai Chi!!! (thinking i may have before )....especially for your enjoyment of hiking. Learning/feeling the integration of form and balance without force will help with your body movement and in cultivating an internal awareness of your mental/physical connections. It can give your hiking a feeling of moving with calm intention rather than force, which can also give you more insight into the beauty around you .
    Thanks for the note Rebecca. From what I've read it Tai Chi really does sound like an important addition to my activities. Yoga just has too much I can't, or shouldn't, do.

If I can't find a local class, can anyone recommend a good intro DVD? That isn't optimal but it may be the only option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

In talking to Alex about this tonight we’d recommended starting with Lam Kam Chuen’s book ‘Step by Step Tai Chi’ to get an introduction/understanding of the principles of Tai Chi and its movements before a class or video. Having that base of understanding would especially allow you to get more out of going to a first class. A good instructor can then offer customized feedback, support and make sure your form is correct and effective. Plus...perhaps you could also have positive interactions with and support from others in a class.

Alex found the (Irvington Wellness Center) in Indianapolis if that’s close to you or perhaps call them and ask about closer classes. Chris Pei’s ‘Tai Chi for Beginners’ is a good video but a second choice to a class. Hoping others can also give you some recommendations too.

and thanks for giving us a good conversation tonight
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Thanks so much Rebecca! I do know about the Irvington Wellness Center - they just don't seem to return calls... I've also asked a former TaiChi instructor who now does something else to see if she has suggestions.

I finally saw my MRI report today. The superspinitis tendon tear is a full-thickness tear, and somehow I've managed to wind up with a longtitudional split tear of the long head of the biceps tendon. How does one even DO that? Leave it to me So....I'm changing and headed to the back room to play with kettlebells. Carefully...

Saw my DO PCP today for a talk and he mentioned something that helped to put things in context. It helped me and thought it might help others.

He said that osteoarthritis isn't a primary cause but the consequences of our body attempting to normalize an abnormality - such as a bone spur trying to close a gap left by torn soft tissue/tendon/whatever. Or my trashed bicep tendon that subluxes and THAT can only happen if a certain very small shoulder ligament that can't be seen in an MRI is torn.

It is a different way of looking at it and, well I've quite a lot OA, it helps to see it from this perspective. Everything happens for a reason and that includes this.
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-30-2016 at 02:12 PM.

My DO told me something similar a few years ago. She let me know that my body is simply responding to what was/is being done to it. Living is hard on the body, no matter how careful we are... I was decidedly NOT careful when I was younger.

Electra Townie 7D

Saw MRI report for OTHER shoulder. Well, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, yes?
    Last edited by Catrin; 10-04-2016 at 04:19 PM.

Thanks for the input here, it's been appreciated. I've decided, for now, to hold off on the tendon and rotator cuff surgery and explore alternatives. There is no real danger the tendon will rupture completely, barring some unforeseen circumstance. It isn't THAT painful, and so what if I can't lift overhead for now? I've had so many surgeries over the years - all of which were quite necessary. I am not convinced that this one is just yet. In the end the tendon may be so shredded that there are no other options, but it won't be this year.

The left shoulder? It's just an arthritic hot mess with all kinds of stuff going on - even the shoulder ortho saw no real point to even cleaning it out, just wait to do something when it's time to replace it. Hopefully it will never reach THAT point

My enforced lack of exercise for almost 2 weeks has been difficult (combo of weather + strained forearm muscle), but am very thankful that I can still hike, do 2-handed KB swings, and elevated/wall pushups

So glad you're waiting. I keep thinking about the millennia of people who figured out how to work through this sort of thing, and kept on. We all jump at surgery no matter the cost or outcome, and sometimes, I truly think, it would be better to wait and see what our bodies really need.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    So glad you're waiting. I keep thinking about the millennia of people who figured out how to work through this sort of thing, and kept on. We all jump at surgery no matter the cost or outcome, and sometimes, I truly think, it would be better to wait and see what our bodies really need.
    Agreed Pax. I did find it interesting that the Ortho didn't consider it worthwhile to clean out my other shoulder - it has large pieces of cartilage floating around, cysts, tendinopathy in all tendons, and other things. There was a time they would have been encouraging that as well - but it is degenerative so it would simply return. So something may be changing out there.
    Last edited by Catrin; 10-06-2016 at 02:20 AM.

Back in vent mode....had a flare in my severely arthritic left shoulder and relented - allowed an injection today to calm it. My ortho has convinced me that even kettlebell swings are bad for me - not just overhead work. Guess I need to find another form of cardio work but right now I don't know what that might be.

Then again, my body is so accustomed to the KB swings that hiking gets my heart rate up much higher than even swinging heavier weight, so perhaps mixing speed walking in with hiking and, of course, continue the Tai Chi. I just thought about adding in speed walking - as long as I've the right shoes where my arthritic feet and knees don't overly complain...

Anyone want to buy a set of kettlebells? Oh, and by "speed walking", I just mean walking fast. A friend told me that real speed walking is something different that my body probably wouldn't like.
    Last edited by Catrin; 01-20-2017 at 10:32 AM.