Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

My kingdom for seams that aren't destroyed almost instantly by my thunder thighs!!

Seriously. I now have 2 different shorts that have trashed seams where the chamois is attached to the short. 2 brands -- my favorite top-of-the-line Sugoi RSE bibs and a pair of Endura bibs. Both pair had visibly worn seams after <6 rides. This is frustrating and $$. I'd love to find something with a chamois similar to Sugoi chamois, but with better/different seam placement. My SMP Drakon is the only saddle I have ever found that I can forget about and that doesn't draw blood, so I can't change that.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I've never been able to wear any Sugoi shorts long enough to decide if I like the chamois. The ones I have seem to be cut for someone who is slimmer than me, even though the size chart says they should fit. A big problem is that they tend to use thread that doesn't stretch when the shorts stretch. The stitching around the chamois on my Sugoi knickers is definitely in the wrong spot and it chafes like a razor after less than an hour.

As for Endura, I've got some jerseys that I really like but have never tried any of their shorts.

My favorite shorts are Gore Oxygen. The stitching does not get in the way but I did notice that they are looking faded and worn from friction along the sides of the saddle. I have three pairs but am thinking I might look for another.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Interesting you say this...I liked the version of my shorts from 2 years ago and those wore like tanks...and were MUCH stretchier. I wore a M in those. In the latest version they use a totally different material and I need a L. Last year's was essentially the same as the short from 2 years ago, but they still seemed to run smaller. And I suspect the chamois is cut just slightly different on this years model, putting the seams right on a friction area with my saddle. So frustrating.

I used to have a pair of Gore bibs and liked their chamois, but they were too small and I now am even larger than when I bought those.

I'd like my Endura shorts more, but the front of the chamois is too bulky/dense and defeats the purpose of the big cut-out on my saddle.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

My Sugoi RS Elite Pros have certainly become smaller in the newest version. I can still fit in the x-smalls, but a bit of muffin top , which I have never had. I am sure the width of the chamois in the smalls would be too big. Still my go to shorts for most of the year.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    My Sugoi RS Elite Pros have certainly become smaller in the newest version. I can still fit in the x-smalls, but a bit of muffin top , which I have never had. I am sure the width of the chamois in the smalls would be too big. Still my go to shorts for most of the year.
    Do they use a different size chamois in different size shorts? Are there other brands with a chamois you like? I have a pair of RS knicks and like that chamois, but not for longer rides (not quite dense enough under the sit bones).

I'm eyeballing a pair of LG bibs, but really don't know how they run. I have a pair of LG tri shorts that I never actually wore...I'm generally a size 8 in bottoms, but these are an XL and STILL too small, WTF?! According to their sizing chart I should fall between a L and XL. I know tri stuff tends to run small, but these are ridiculous. I wonder if their bibs are similar, or if they are cut more generously.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I'd like my Endura shorts more, but the front of the chamois is too bulky/dense and defeats the purpose of the big cut-out on my saddle.
    Someone really needs to take the concept of the saddle cutout and apply it to chamois design -- make the padding very thin in front.

I know that the chamois in Shebeest's shorts is wider for L and XL sizes than for XS-M. (Which is the reason I don't wear Shebeest shorts -- the size M is just a bit to small, the size L fits perfectly but the chamois is so wide that it bunches up. Fortunately I noticed this in the fitting room, thus avoiding certain torture on the bike.) After I discovered that I noticed that TE used to provide information on multiple chamois sizes for the shorts that they sold, and Shebeest was the only brand that I recall doing it. But I could be wrong about that.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Someone really needs to take the concept of the saddle cutout and apply it to chamois design -- make the padding very thin in front.

I know that the chamois in Shebeest's shorts is wider for L and XL sizes than for XS-M. (Which is the reason I don't wear Shebeest shorts -- the size M is just a bit to small, the size L fits perfectly but the chamois is so wide that it bunches up. Fortunately I noticed this in the fitting room, thus avoiding certain torture on the bike.) After I discovered that I noticed that TE used to provide information on multiple chamois sizes for the shorts that they sold, and Shebeest was the only brand that I recall doing it. But I could be wrong about that.
    It's a bummer that the Endura shorts don't work better -- they have 3 chamois width options for EVERY size of their top end shorts. They match the chamois to a rider's favorite saddle (I want to say my shorts were L with a narrow chamois to match my SMP saddle). And the chamois fit was great, except for that bulky front. DH and one of our other cycling buddies are shocked that I don't love the Endura bibs as much as they do (they have the men's version), but neither of them has female anatomy or need for cut-out saddles.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

The other shorts I love are the Terry Bellas, but the chamois is very narrow and not dense. I mostly love them because of the high compression factor, bu they are too heavy to wear in very hot weather and the Sugoi chamois is better for long rides. I found this outon the first day of my trip to Spain, when it was 100 degrees.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport