Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

How Mobile is too Mobile? cell phone use on bicycle rde?

To disable ads, please log-in.

kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD
    2012 Specialized Ruby WSD
    2004 Schwinn (I think that is the year)

Very interesting. I could not dare looking at my phone while cycling. Especially in a city. Seriously though, I walk a lot downtown Montreal and I rarely saw someone looking at a phone while cycling vs a motorist with his phone in hand and sending texts while driving (although the law bans this!). Way too many distractions nowadays, in every type of motion vehicle!
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

I carry a cell phone for safety's sake, since all my riding is solo. Use it while riding, though? I am way too much of a klutz to pull that one off.

Cyclists must stay seated at all times???

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

The article is not totally correct

Our Quebec Highway Safety code says : C477 - The driver of a motorcycle or moped must remain seated on the seat and keep hold of the handlebars. A person riding a bicycle must sit astride the bicycle and keep hold of the handlebars
    Last edited by Helene2013; 07-04-2016 at 10:58 AM.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Quote Originally Posted by Helene2013 View Post
    The article is not totally correct

Our Quebec Highway Safety code says : C477 - The driver of a motorcycle or moped must remain seated on the seat and keep hold of the handlebars. A person riding a bicycle must sit astride the bicycle and keep hold of the handlebars
    Makes more sense -- even here in Flatlandia people get out of the seat if it's stomp and sprint time.
    You still don't have people getting killed by texting cyclists so it's more of "danger to your self" issue... I honestly think we shouldn't have tickets and laws for quite so many things. Let's actually learn that some things are just foolish!

Unfortunately some people don't think it's foolish, just as many don't think texting while driving is a bad idea.

I think the danger level of distracted cycling depends on where you are. In a crowded urban area, the chance of hurting others is much higher. It is possible for a pedestrian to be seriously injured or killed in a crash with a cyclist.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Unfortunately the greater reliance on mobile phones which does become merely just a tool/communication extension leads a lot of people to believe it can been integrated with car driving activities.

I might have mentioned a few months ago here but there was a younger, petite cyclist (probably in her 20's) who was quite agile and competent in her cycling skills: she was able to trackstand for over 1 min. at several different traffic lights ahead me....PLUS also read her iPhone with one hand gripping on handlebar. She had several gymnastic-like dance hoops tied to the back of her knapsack. Maybe she could do simple circus tricks...

We were in a separated cycle track, by the way.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Geonz View Post
    Let's actually learn that some things are just foolish!
    ...and take personal responsibility for the consequences of our actions. i only use my iPhone when stopped whether in a car, on a bike etc. because i don't want a phone distracting me. common sense
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

whenever i ride my bike, motobike or even drive car, i put my phone in my wallet. No phone calls could be more important to your life. Missed calls? Calling back.
    Some friends blame me for this habbit but i think it' a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindacan View Post
    whenever i ride my bike, motobike or even drive car, i put my phone in my wallet. No phone calls could be more important to your life. Missed calls? Calling back.
    Some friends blame me for this habbit but i think it' a good one.
    I got pulled over by a policeman for driving with outdated tabs (I thought we had put them on). When I pulled over he asked me for my driver's license and insurance. I told him that my wallet and phone were in the trunk. I told him I keep them there so I can't hear the phone ring when I am driving because that way I won't get distracted. I also don't have to lie when I tell people I never heard the phone ring. (I don't keep them in the trunk so often anymore. It seems no one wants to call me anyway. I just can't figure out why??)

I still wonder if the poor policeman was afraid of what I may have had in the trunk
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD
    2012 Specialized Ruby WSD
    2004 Schwinn (I think that is the year)