Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: August Rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    The risk is that I'll be alone with no one to help if something goes wrong,
    nah i know nothings going to go too wrong ....have a ride that makes you happy and satisfied!!!!

stopped on my commute this morning and on my early afternoon return to take some photos. Off to some longer rides on peaceful wine valley and shaded mountain roads up north…..and massages…

safe rides for everyone....

‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Went out to do a 47 mile ride and realized we hadn't downloaded the route...
    So we just explored some quiet roads in Lincoln, Sudbury, Stow, and back through Acton to home. Saw people blueberry picking at one farm, but it was just before a climb, so we didn't stop; I wanted to get that over with.
    I had an embarrassing moment that hasn't happened in a long time. We rode up a new street, a short, steep hill. It flattened out where the street intersected with a main road. DH turned left, I heard cars, and I guess my pedal was in a slightly awkward position as i stopped. My cleat slid on the pavement and I couln't unclip my other foot, as I was already falling! I was not in the middle of the main road, but cars stopped, and I waved them on. Took me a bit to unclip and get up! Oy. No injuries to me or my bike, but I am sure i will be sore.
    A decent 35 mile ride, though.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Went on a nice long ride by myself Wednesday evening after work (20+ miles). Today I went on a longer ride with a good friend. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to keep up. She was on a road bike, but the Rove is no slouch. I'm ridiculously happy to find a bike that is comfortable for me.
    2016 Kona Rove ST (M/L 54) WTB Volt
    Camp Stove Green Surly Karate Monkey (M) WTB Volt
    Kona Dew Deluxe (54cm) Brooks B67-S

Quote Originally Posted by blackhillsbiker View Post
    I'm ridiculously happy to find a bike that is comfortable for me.
    that IS such a good feeling ....glad you are enjoying the Rove....it's a well designed bike!!!

We did a nice 46 mile ride from Calistoga to Yountville and back on mostly quiet roads with beautiful Napa Valley scenery. A pleasant stop at the Bouchon Bakery in Yountville for heirloom tomato and brie sandwiches, iced tea and a BIG bag of oatmeal, pecan and pouched raisin cookies and a box of French macaron’s to go. Tomorrow we are doing a longer 80+ mile ride with some good climbing over Howell mountain into the Pope Valley then to Lake Berryessa and back through Rutherford.
    Temps in the high 70's in the afternoons. Low clouds this morning made for a cooler ride.
    Solage Spa ftw!!!!!....well, and now eating cookies on our very private large patio. Feeling relaxed………
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to

Continue to work on MTB trails our 7acres and an adjoining undeveloped 3 acres. Now at almost a mile of trails, all loops and all interconnecting. With my AWOL sense of direction, I wouldn't be surprised if I managed to get turned around and lost on my own property at some point.

I do finish each day, though, with an hour of riding the trails, which nets me about 5 total miles. Good workout, too, because some very steep climbs right the limit of what I can handle and not stall out, though I do have to hit them just right. Leaves me panting and short of breath in a way that I never experience with my road biking.

I do miss my roadwork, though. The open road is calling to me, as always. Love the challenge and variety of MTB riding, but I am ever so addicted to the rapture that comes with flying down a beautiful paved road. Oh, well, preaching to the choir, here, but nice to be on a forum where everyone understands.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 08-27-2016 at 04:20 PM.

Great 4 days of riding, relaxing, eating and spa pampering in the Napa Valley. Longest ride was 84 miles on Sunday with the rest of the days being 32 to 56. Got into the high 80's today but we rode in the morning and did some shopping in the afternoon. Alex doesn’t want to leave tomorrow. She’s outside on the patio looking at property for sale on her computer at the moment.
    Solage resort in Calistoga ftw!!!!!!!

Just popping in to say hi. I have been doing a lot of commuting, and rode two 25-ish mile rides on the weekend, so nothing super long (it's still summer in the desert here so not so fun to be out midday). I had a record 4 commutes last week.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I commuted yesterday.
    Today, I went to the funeral of my best friend's mom from my hometown (it was actually a joyous occasion, she was 90) and then went to see my granddaughter.
    I don't feel guilty about not riding.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

SO EXCITED, 3 day weekend, forecast for low 70's - We're heading to the Owyhee Wilderness area for some bike exploration! Yahoooooo (you can tell I am not an August rider, 100 degree weather & smoke filled air really gets me down)
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Enjoy, Sky. That's some mighty rugged and and remote territory, beautiful in its own harsh and desolate way, though. Lived in Boise for a time, back in the 70s and did some exploring, there.

Finished the month, WAY down on miles, thanks to all my mountain biking, but also because of all the time and effort I put in making MTB trails on our property. In terms of hours biking, still at least a fair month of bicycling for me. Wish there was an accurate way of translating MTB miles into road bike miles, because I'm passionate about both, but the two types of biking are just too different, I guess.

Oh, well, on to September.

I've been away for a couple of weeks with zero internet (but worth it to be in Bighorn Canyon NRA and Yellowstone NP!) My blog is about three weeks behind real time as a result, but I finally got this post on bicycling Bismarck, ND up. It seems like months ago since we have been so many places since then!

http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com/t...round-the-city

We have done some really wonderful rides in the past few weeks: through Little Bighorn National Monument and Bighorn Canyon Nat'l Recreation Area (the latter being one of the prettiest places we have ever ridden), a couple of rides in Yellowstone (not very conducive to cyclists), and a couple now here in the amazing Grand Teton National Park, which is as cyclist friendly as Yellowstone is not! And the scenery is simply breathtaking. This place should be on every road cyclist's bucket list. I had no idea!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8573_01.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	18135 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8582_01.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	18136
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8600_01.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	18137 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8615_01.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	18138

Hope everyone has been well...it will take me awhile to get caught up on the posts here. We have excellent Verizon signal here in Grand Teton, fortunately, so when I'm not riding, I'm getting caught up online.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Keep those pics coming, Emily. Really enjoying them. What was the problem with Yellowstone biking? Just curious.

I live in a flat area and to see the mountains in your photos...wow...stunning. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Keep those pics coming, Emily. Really enjoying them. What was the problem with Yellowstone biking? Just curious.
    Well, there are no bike paths, and the shoulders are quite narrow. On some of the roads, there are no shoulders at all. And there is a LOT of traffic, including many large RVs and tour buses. I can only imagine how much worse it would have been mid-summer since we were actually there in what is considered the shoulder season for this part of the country. We did do a couple of rides, but we were disappointed. Just not much thought given to cycling infrastructure there; in Yellowstone, cars rule.

Contrast that to Grand Teton, just one park south, where there are much wider shoulders on the roads, paved bike paths through much of the park, and some paved "back" roads that have almost zero traffic. Less hilly besides. And the views are much more dramatic with the mountains. In Yellowstone, you mostly see lodgepole pines. The lake was beautiful, and there were certainly other gorgeous areas here and there, but we had to take a bus tour to really see the park.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow