Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Size up or size down

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello.... I've been lurking on here for quite some time and now that my focus has changed from my hybrid to a desire to own a road bike, I have questions.

I've been researching the Specialized Ruby and am uncertain on sizing. The info below is from their sizing chart:

54cm 5'6" - 5'8" 168 - 173cm
    56/57cm 5'8" - 5'10" 173 - 178cm

I am close to 5' 8.5" which indicates the 57cm frame, but with my height being on the lower end I fear the bike may be too big. I don't have a local bike dealer with these bikes in stock so I can't test drive to see what feels better. I know stems can be swapped out but it would be nice to get a proper fitting bike without doing this if possible. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

I'm not quite 5' 10" and my Domane WSD is a 56cm and fits, perfectly. In my experience, when in doubt, lean towards the smaller of two options. Generally have more options as to making the bike fit. Best of luck.

Does the Specialized Dolce have the same geometry? The dealers may be more likely to have one of those you could try. When I ordered a Madone several years ago, I was sized on an in stock Lexa. Good Luck!

P2
    2018 Trek Silque SLR6 - Selle SMP Glider
    2018 Specialized Dolce EVO Comp - Selle SMP Glider
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD -Selle SMP Glider
    2013 Giant TCX W - Oura 143

Thanks for the replies. The Dolce is another bike I was looking at but again, nothing in my size. I live in a small town. I may have to make a few phone calls to some shops that are several hours away and then take a road trip! And north woods gal, I think you are right. My gut is telling me to size down.

That's the next bike I want, and I'm in the same place you are. I'm 5'9". I ride a 56 cm Trek Domane. I know the 56cm Roubaix fits me (it doesn't come in a 57), and I know the 58 Roubaix is too big. I rented a 57 cm Ruby in Houston on a trip, but then was hurt and couldn't ride it. If you get a chance to try it, I'd love to hear how it works for you.

Where would you buy the Ruby from? If there's an LBS you know you'll be buying from, you might be able to get them to take some measurements (inseam, arm, shoulder) and then help you figure out which will probably fit you best. Ideally they'd have a good fitter to help you. Or talk to them about your options if you order one size and then find that it's not right.

Also +1 on pinson2's suggestion. I have a vague recollection that two of Specialized women's road bikes share the same geometry, though I'm not sure which ones.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

You could also consider finding a shop with a fit cycle. They could replicate the measurements and see which one would fit you best. If I had to choose, I would go small - but a good bike fit is really essential. You may not know if either would work without it.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

All great suggestions. Our local shop doesn't have very much but I will visit there again armed with new suggestions and alternate bikes to try. Also, there are a few more shops that are a several hours away. I'll be on vacation in a few weeks so I may make a few phone calls then to see what they have before making the drive. Thanks ladies!

i've tried replying but it seems that my posts aren't going through, waiting for moderator I guess. Anyway, I'll try again because I know a few of you are around my height and curious about sizing. Today I went back to LBS and they put me on a size 57 Dolce Elite. I had myself convinced that I would be a 54 but the 57 fit like a glove. Being new to biking my Trek 7.3 fx WSD hybrid is all I know and I can't believe how much better this road bike felt. They didn't have a Ruby in my size but had the Roubaix in a 56. I took it out because I had never been on a carbon bike before. All I can say is my 49 year old body really appreciated it. LOL. I had no idea it would make such a big difference!!! The result...... size 57 Ruby on order! She will arrive next week and I don't know if I will be able to sleep until I get her!!!

That's great! Enjoy!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

There's a lot more to bike fit than just that one size number, so glad you found what works. That's what counts.

Thanks ladies. One more sleep!