Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hang in there, Sheila. Glad to see you back. Hope it all turns out okay.

Panic attack is completely natural under the circumstances, as is PTSD afterward, so keep taking care of yourself emotionally, and don't brush off the experience, regardless of how it turns out.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Gee, did I sound panicked?

Still don't have an appointment for an ultrasound. Guess I'll call back Monday.

Do you take any medications for the removed thyroid, Catrin?
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Thyroid hormones control so much and can have a profound effect on so much, sometimes more than would seem obvious. I had out of control Graves Disease that, well, I found out just how much the thyroid can mess up.

Yes, I've taken a daily replacement since my body no longer can produce it. Unsure if I still have my parathyroids, I suspect they no longer work if I do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Unsure if I still have my parathyroids, I suspect they no longer work if I do.
    You would know if you didn't have them or they didn't work. You would have to take Vit D and Calcium in extended release forms at extremely high doses by prescription. Otherwise, you get all kinds of nasty symptoms.

If you don't have a thyroid at all, you do have to take thyroid hormone. Lots of different options out there (I have hypothyroid and take a small replacement dose). Most people take it in the early AM - has to be taken on an empty stomach and you have to wait 30-60 minutes to eat. Some people do take it at night (and have had great results).
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Thanks Blueberry, it's good to know that I've missed SOMETHING, the Graves was bad enough. It's sobering to consider that the surgery happened literally more than half my lifetime ago

I've gone back and forth about when I take it. My only problem with taking it at night is I tend to forget to take it...so I take it as literally the first thing I do when I wake. By the time I've done all I do before breakfast enough time has passed. Personally I've found the brand matters as my body seems to be able to tell the difference. Unsure why/how as it's all supposed to be the same but I've had doctors tell me that it isn't the first time they have seen this. It HAS gotten much better since I lost all of my weight 6 years ago and was able to actually drop my dose.

I've read that we shouldn't take calcium supplements at the same time as thyroid replacement as it makes it more difficult (the calcium) to absorb the hormone replacement. Unsure how true that is but figure it can't hurt to keep them separate - when I TAKE extra calcium which isn't often.
    Last edited by Catrin; 08-08-2016 at 02:05 PM.

You might only have 1 of the 4, but you definitely have something still working. They are pretty careful to spare them when removing the thyroid.

Yep - lots of things interfere with absorption of thyroid hormone. I still take birth control pills (tried getting off them, didn't go well) - I have to take those at night and then the thyroid in the AM. By the time I shower and have made tea/breakfast, I can eat. Some days it's annoying (like when I officiated RAAM and getting up meant finding somewhere for a bathroom), camping, overnight flights (I just didn't take it), and (I expect) when I start having hospital overnights. Otherwise, not such a big deal in my daily life.

Brands definitely matter for thyroid replacement. I had to get blood tests done when my mail order company (mandatory with my insurance) changed brands. Annoying, but necessary. Weight loss/gain and diet can definitely change the require dose as well.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

My father takes something for his thyroid in addition to various other meds and vitamins. He and my mother have a routine every morning so that she has breakfast ready at the appropriate time. But it's definitely harder when they're traveling.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

They prescribed 325 mg of iron, 3'x per day for the anemia! Sounds like a lot. Almost worried that pharmacy made a mistake. The doctor's office didn't tell me how much they'd prescribed. Just called it in. I filled a script for my dog from Rite Aid recently where they mistakenly doubled the recommended amount on the directions, but I knew how much she was supposed to take. This is CVS. Hopefully, they did it right.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    They prescribed 325 mg of iron, 3'x per day for the anemia! Sounds like a lot. Almost worried that pharmacy made a mistake. The doctor's office didn't tell me how much they'd prescribed. Just called it in. I filled a script for my dog from Rite Aid recently where they mistakenly doubled the recommended amount on the directions, but I knew how much she was supposed to take. This is CVS. Hopefully, they did it right.
    Can't hurt to call the doctor's office and doublecheck, just so you get to feel a little safer.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I checked with Dr. Google, using "normal dose of iron for anemia" for the search parameter. Found this on Drugs.com:

Usual Adult Dose for Iron Deficiency Anemia
    Initial: 300 to 325 mg of regular-release ferrous sulfate orally once a day.

Maintenance:
    Regular-release ferrous sulfate: 325 mg orally 3 times a day. Alternatively, 300 mg orally 4 times a day may be given.
    Extended-release ferrous sulfate: 160 mg orally 1 to 2 times a day.

Resolution of iron deficiency anemia may require ferrous sulfate supplementation for several weeks or months, depending on the duration and severity of the anemia.

Looks like you're on a maintenance dose?

Electra Townie 7D

Get the time released! My body couldn't handle the higher amount all at once but time released was fine.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    Get the time released! My body couldn't handle the higher amount all at once but time released was fine.
    Maybe I'll call next week. They are closed on Fridays. At least it sounds like I'm not OD-ing.

What do you mean your body couldn't handle the dose?

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

There are some common side effects. One of my friends was prescribed iron supplements a few years ago and was not able to take the full dose; I think her problem was constipation.

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/ferrous-su...e-effects.html

You could try calling the pharmacist - they should be able to confirm that the dose you have is within the realm of normal and possibly advise on how best to take it to minimize side effects. Sometimes pharmacists know more than doctors do when it comes to meds.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

Little update: had the ultrasound 2 days ago, and the technician measured the cysts and said they hadn't changed size, which is good. My follow-up appointment with the doctor was supposed to be today, but they called an hour ago and said he had to do an emergency surgery, so that won't be until next week.

In the meantime, my throat is still painful in general. I think I'm going to follow-up with a different doctor in Charleston, to see what, if anything, might be causing that.

Also, constipation and iron pills. Yep. I did expect it. But wow. Now I'm taking quite a few of those fiber pills per day, increased water intake (I already drank a lot), and have added the orange-flavored metamuesil mixed with orange juice to my meals (because the fiber pills alone weren't enough). Adding in the metamuesil seems to be moving things along, as it were. Thanks for listening, everyone. I kind of despise this whole process.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!