Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

3 things in 9 days...

So the unexpected events train that started 9 days ago continue...and yes, I'm complaining a bit. The new front brake rotors are great, though if I had known this would turn up I wouldn't have bought the new computer when the old one died. Did I mention that I DO have a timing belt (I was previously told that I had a timing CHAIN, which doesn't need replacing, but my information was wrong), and it will be time soon to replace mine. Better replaced before it breaks....

So to add to that mix I saw my podiatrist today. He is good, and considered conservative, and brought up the question of surgery for my Hallux Rigidis - bone spurs and stiffening of my 1st metatarsal joint (apparently my high arches really aren't helping as my feet became more arthritic). NOT ANOTHER FOOT SURGERY, and hopefully not another surgery of any kind. We will go the orthotic route again. He made the case for having it sooner rather than later but no. Just...no.

There was no doubt I had a problem with my foot, I just didn't expect him to start with surgery instead of the conservative approach - which certainly says something. At least I understand now why shoes have become such a problem, which is why I went.

Hopefully things will calm now, that's been three things in 9 days and my savings account is going the wrong direction. Better than the alternative though!
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-21-2016 at 02:00 PM.

Ugh, Catrin, it's the old "when it rains it pours" syndrome. Seems to happen all the time.

I feel your (foot) pain. I have arthritic big toes and am pretty sure I have hallux limitus, though I've never been to a podiatrist, but I've had pain and less range of motion in that joint for years, much more on the right but occasionally on the left as well. It goes through periods of flaring up and then calming down; thankfully, lately has been a calm period. I would hate having to have surgery for it and hope I never have to. Hope you can postpone doing so for as along as possible also. I know how much you enjoy your hiking so would hate for you to be out of commission for any length of time!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thanks Emily! Even if I were to allow them to "fix" it, it would only be a temporary fix as it would return since it's a progressive arthritic condition. Earlier surgery would help keep my cartilage longer, but we aren't talking about a "simple" cleaning out of the joint. I've had one foot (heel) osteotomy and am not about to go there again unless things get so bad that I've no choice. I had no choice in 2004 but it it isn't THAT bad yet, and hopefully won't get there.

Hopefully the custom orthotics will make it easier to find shoes that don't hurt. The recent experiment to try and find shoes for pavement walking was an eye-opener - I went through 4 pairs (thankfully REI accepts returns) and my final choice isn't perfect but wearable. Hiking and kettlebell swings are my two main choices right now for exercise and it would be bad if I had to stop either.

I swear, this whole aging body thing is really annoying, isn't it? I want my 25 year old body and my current mind... is that too much to ask?

Electra Townie 7D

I think that would be the perfect solution! I told one of my sisters last night that I've enough arthritis at 56 for all three of us, so they shouldn't have to worry about it. Thankfully they've been unable to find some underlying cause connecting it all, for which I'm thankful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    I swear, this whole aging body thing is really annoying, isn't it? I want my 25 year old body and my current mind... is that too much to ask?
    I dunno, I think I want my 25-year old body AND mind. I'm not as sharp as I was back then. Wiser, perhaps, but as sharp at learning new things? Nope.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Hope the orthopedic, shoe way or non-surgery way helps, Catrin.
    I'm still working on getting full night's sleep back..
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    I dunno, I think I want my 25-year old body AND mind. I'm not as sharp as I was back then. Wiser, perhaps, but as sharp at learning new things? Nope.
    I find being forgetful to be handy, much less angst, I realize I forgot why I got up and walked out of the room... so just shrug and go get some wine.

Electra Townie 7D