Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

What should I bring with me?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi, my name is Nancy.

Next weekend I am going to change the atmosphere and I'll start my training for mountain biking. I have few questions about this. First of all, what bike do you prefer for mountain climbing? What is the gear which I need to bring with me? And also if you are familiar, what are the best mountain trails in Austin, TX? I am asking the last question because... you know... everyone is saying different It will be awesome if I start from an easier trail of course!

Make sure you have water. A hydration pack IMO is essential. I carry a spare tube, patch kit, multi tool, small pump and a few granola bars at minimum. I have a fat bike and a dual suspension mountain bike and love both. Depending on the trail conditions, I chose one or the other. I am not a great climber but, the more practice I get, the better I become at it.
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

+1 on the hydration pack -- water bottles on the bike frame tend to get dirty.

In the "just in case" category, you should always have ID and your health insurance information. And a cell phone with a charged battery, though it's possible you'll be in an area with limited coverage. If you're riding alone, make sure someone knows where you'll be. I always keep some adhesive bandages in my bike bag, too, including some large ones.

Have fun!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

That covers the things I always pack.

So much depends on what kind of trails or single track you'll be riding and how hilly, how sandy or firm and so on when it comes to your choice of MTB. Local knowledge on the trails in your area is gold. Best way to get that info is to visit with your local bike shops.

I would have saved myself a lot of headaches, money on the wrong these of bikes, not to mention bumps and bruises, had I taken a good MTB riding class, but there were no such things, back in the day. In your area, though, with that many people riding, I'lll bet you could find one. If you could find one for gals, that would be ideal. Even with all my riding, no way can I keep up with the guys on our nastiest trails. Just don't have the strength for it.

This last week, I've been doing all MTB riding with my various MTBs. Really amazing how the different kinds of MTBs vary as to how they do on specific types of trails. Love the fat bike for handling any surface under it, but on some of the very twisty single track I've been riding this week, makes for slow riding. Not a great climber, either, with those big heavy wheels. At the other extreme, my conventional 26" Trek with front suspension and 2" tires, accelerates and climbs well, but is an accident waiting to happen with all nasty ruts and rocks on my favorite trail, not to mention those skinny 2" tires are dead in the water the I hit one of our many sand traps.

So far, the one MTB that comes closest to doing it all for me is my Trek Stashe 29er plus with its 3" wide tires. It's fast and agile and have yet to bury it in sand or mud. Keep in mind, though, that this wheel format is not suited for small riders. I'm almost 5' 10". If you're shorter, the new 27.5' plus bikes might be a better choice.

Guess if I had to give one piece of advice, it's that the softer, the bumpier, the more ruts, the wider the tires you will want. Wider is definitely the trend in mountain bikes.