Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Car Racks

Car Racks

To disable ads, please log-in.

Do any of you put your hitch mounted car rack on and off the car by yourself?

I am looking for a car rack, and thought i wanted one of the tray types. I only need it to hold 1 or 2 bikes. I went to Performance today to look at a few and could barely pick up the Thule T2Pro in the box. i think it is 50lbs. I can't imagine i could get it in the hitch on my own, if i can't even pick up the box. They didn't have any other tray models in the store, except the Transit model, which didn't have great reviews on line. I noticed most of the tray types are around 45-50 lbs.

I'm now going to consider the hanging version, as they seem more manageable for one person to handle, though i was hoping for the tray version. Most of these seem to weigh in around 30-35 lbs.

I usually put my bike in the back of the car, and really only want the rack for the occasional vacation where i'd need the back of the car for luggage, etc. I don't foresee leaving the rack on all the time, and wanted something i could get on and off alone.

Thanks!

We have a Thule Helium rack. I have never put it on to the car myself, but it's much lighter than a lot of the other racks. It holds two bikes.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I had a Saris Freedom 2 tray hitch rack that was pretty light. I could put it on by myself.

I now have a 1UP hitch rack and it is the BEST RACK EVER!!! they are not cheap but, it is very well made and has no plastic parts at all which I really liked about it. I added the fat bike kit to mine and will just keep it on my Jeep 365 days a year since I do Winter riding as well. Holds all styles of bikes and only touches the tires on front and rear so, not worries about damaging frames, paint etc.
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

I have the 1Up USA. I can mount it with no difficulty. I have the single rack with an add-on so I can carry one bike if it's just me or mount the add-on and carry two if I'm with someone else. You can carry up to 4 depending on your hitch. It's pricey but worth it as it's all aluminum (no plastic to break) and mounts in about 15 seconds. I have had every permutation of bike racks and this by far is the easiest and best one I've used. I don't care for hanging racks. It takes me forever to get the bikes loaded and secured so they don't get damaged while on the road and I cannot stand flapping, spinning wheels.

https://www.1upusa.com/
    2008 Specialized Globe Sport
    2009 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Thank you for all of the recommendations. I just got a new to me car, and I hate how the hanging rack fits on it so I was about to buy a Kuat NV based upon a few posts on this site, and then I saw this thread. I googled a lot of "Kuat vs. 1up" threads and decided to go with the 1Up. I usually only carry one bike at a time so I like that it will be lighter. I liked that the Kuat had a built in lock and bike stand for maintenance, but then figured I could probably live without those and the 1Up seemed so simple (and I could buy wheel locks and a hitch lock with the same key). So I just pulled the trigger and bought the 1Up. I'm excited!

You will not be disappointed. They are the best racks out there IMO. I also have the wheel locks and love them as added security
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

Thanks for the feedback all.

AZfiddle, do you like the Helium?