Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Summer Running Thread

Happy Solstice and Strawberry Moon!!!

And so starts the season of BLECH running for me. I hate running in summer heat. Blech. Fortunately we are spending lots of time in the mountains this summer,so hopefully it will mean cooler weather and glorious single track. Until then it will just be the same report. see below:

I ran today and it was a million degrees with 1000% humidity

But the good news is school is out and the LONGEST year ever is over. ( my bosses boss went a bit cuckoo this year and really made for a toughie) SO glad to be done.

Agreed on the summer heat and humidity! Biking is so much easier than running when it's like that. We've hardly had any hot weather here yet. Lots of 50s & 60s, a few 70s, and maybe 2 or 3 days tha were 80-90°. Plenty of bugs.

Totally agree. I've been a running slug for long enough now that I think I'll just declare myself officially on hiatus until fall!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I just have to power through. Get up early, get out and get it done. And dream of winter running!!!!

The bugs have been bad here too. Strawberry flies. They take a chunk. Some people call them deer flies. Not to be confused with a green head, which I grew up calling a horse fly.

We called them horse flies, too.
    Yes, riding is easier in the heat, but not by much. During my short forays into running, it definitely was a late fall through June activity for me. Trail running is a bit easier in the heat, but then, I'd be freaking out about Lyme Disease and getting annoyed by gnats.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I got out of my car about half an hour ago and within seconds I had a deerfly bite on my arm. Running they're not so bad, but there is about a quarter mile near a pond and cattle pasture, where they will chase me down. For gardening, Bite Blocker keeps them off, plus I have a mesh hoodie, but I'm not going to put on repellent to go places in the car, dangit! They're just awful here. Our neighbor has horses ... There are a few horseflies around, but they're not terribly aggressive, and unlike the deerflies, you can see, hear and feel them coming before they bite.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler