Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Taking breaks

Taking breaks

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have been road cycling for 9 years and ride RAGBRAI with my hubby. I try to train as much as I can but I don't seem to get in enough miles before hand. My issue is with the stops/breaks we take during the ride. Each day is about 50-60 miles. In the morning my legs "warm" up after about 2 to 3 miles. My hubby likes to take 15 to 20 minute stops every 12 to 15 miles with a longer stop maybe at noontime. Each time we stop I struggle to get my legs back. I do very well with much shorter stops, my legs can go all day then. I need help keeping my leg strength during our stops. My hubby needs them for his health issues. We are not "kids". Thank you in advance for any advice you all may offer.

Hi judithlsm and welcome to TE!

I totally get your dilemma. Those long stops can be killer on the legs. My DH (dear husband) hates them, and I like them less and less as I get older (I'm 55). If your DH is dead-set on long stops, have you considered splitting up and riding separately for at least part of the day's miles? When DH and I did Bike Virginia, we'd split up as needed, and we both found others to ride with. He's faster than me and preferred shorter stops, so this worked out well for us. We also made some fun road friends along the way. Of course we'd meet up at the end of the day.

In your case, if your DH happens to be a faster rider than you, like mine, he could get to the rest stops earlier and stay longer, then you could join him for the last 5-10 minutes of the stop when you rolled up. If you're about the same pace, you'd finish first, taking more stops, and you could just wait for him at the end each day. I can guarantee you'd find plenty of people to chat with before he rolled up on a big event like RAGBRAI.

Sometimes due to differing riding styles and preferences, it's just not practical to stay together all the time, and you will probably both have more fun if you aren't having to do something you dislike wrt stops.

Good luck, whatever you end up doing!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Stretching can help. On breaks I’ll stretch, especially quad/hip flexor/hamstring ones when doing climbs. A quick walk around the town you stop in while you wait for him can help too
    ….and I LUV ragbrai!!!!..and PIE!!!! One of the best rides I’ve done for seeing a state. wishing i was doing it this year!!

Personally I’d ride ahead at some point and get a massage at the end while waiting

have a great time this year!!!!!!!!!!!! and +1 on welcome!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I get what you're saying about the stops and I'm no spring chicken, either. For me, a stop is one just long enough to water up, make an adjustment on the bike, take a pic and so on. Anything longer and it takes a few miles for me to loosen back up.

I like Rebecca's idea of stretching, massaging or just taking a walk to prevent getting too stiff. I'm going to try it next time I take a long break.

Best of luck and enjoy your ride.

Thanks for the nice welcome. I don't know how I did not find this forum earlier. Lots and lots of good info. Hubby is faster, but I am gaining!! In the beginning he would stick to/with me like glue since I was inexperienced. Now that I am not I will suggest your suggestion to split up some. Great idea especially for RAGBRAI.

Not very experienced with this - Thanks to Emily.
    To Rebecca - Do you have a good stretch you could recommend? Please come back to RAGBRAI, tried Mr. Pork Chop?

Quote Originally Posted by judithlsm View Post
    Thanks for the nice welcome. I don't know how I did not find this forum earlier. Lots and lots of good info. Hubby is faster, but I am gaining!! In the beginning he would stick to/with me like glue since I was inexperienced. Now that I am not I will suggest your suggestion to split up some. Great idea especially for RAGBRAI.
    You'll have to let us know how it works out. Hope you have a great ride!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

(Here) are some good ones for on the bike while doing long rides and off the bike while using the bike for balance

i do these (yoga poses) and others for stretching after a long climb.

i'm mostly vegetarian so no matter how good they looked i passed on the pork chops ....but PIE is a different subject matter all together and is why i gained weight that week
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    You'll have to let us know how it works out. Hope you have a great ride!
    I sure will!

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    (Here) are some good ones for on the bike while doing long rides and off the bike while using the bike for balance

i do these (yoga poses) and others for stretching after a long climb.

i'm mostly vegetarian so no matter how good they looked i passed on the pork chops ....but PIE is a different subject matter all together and is why i gained weight that week
    The stretch website is awesome. I will need to practice them a bunch so I can remember. Thank you! Yep, Iowa Church Ladies make the best pie in the country.