Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

5 dead, 4 injured after truck plows into bicyclists in Michigan

To disable ads, please log-in.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/08/us/kal...ead/index.html

You can see in the pics in the link below the damages to bikes. ouch.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/...nk_when_h.html

Deepest sympathies to family and friends of the victims.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

I saw this last night. Gee, I wonder if the guy will actually get convicted.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

How horrible.

Crankin, I saw this and my second thought was "toss up, drunk or malicious" and "bet he walks away scot free".

Electra Townie 7D

Saw this on the news last night. SO tragic! I just hate it for all of the families.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

This is semi-local to me...<90 minutes away. I am bittersweetly relieved to not know any of the victims, but people I know are familiar with some.

The initial reports were that the guy was drunk and fled, but a more recent statement was that he didn't run, but didn't render aid. And also that he didn't "appear" to be drunk. Still awaiting toxicology reports. He was reported to be driving erratically by several sources 30 minutes before running down the group of riders.

I've seen his FB page. It made me ill. He's quite clearly a racist, sexist cretin. I would not be the least bit surprised to learn that he was sober and purposefully targeted the cyclists.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    This is semi-local to me...<90 minutes away. I am bittersweetly relieved to not know any of the victims, but people I know are familiar with some.

The initial reports were that the guy was drunk and fled, but a more recent statement was that he didn't run, but didn't render aid. And also that he didn't "appear" to be drunk. Still awaiting toxicology reports. He was reported to be driving erratically by several sources 30 minutes before running down the group of riders.

I've seen his FB page. It made me ill. He's quite clearly a racist, sexist cretin. I would not be the least bit surprised to learn that he was sober and purposefully targeted the cyclists.
    Seems in rural areas there's a proliferation of the rolling coal, I-hate-cyclists crowd. It was common in certain areas out in farm country to have young men in huge pickups try to clip you with their mirrors and then "roll coal".

Electra Townie 7D

I thought the name of the truck driver was not out yet!

So far in my area it's not that bad. Worst are always pickups and motorcycles. I'm not a huge fan or road cycling because there is so much I can do to protect myself. They do not roll coal at least.

Not that it would have changed anything but wonder if any of the cyclists had a cam on to see how this driver was before hitting them.

I have enough long cycling paths that I can use in many areas so I feel safer and not as stressed. But I wished I could ride on "real" roads more often and remain safe.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

that is one disgusting Facebook page.....the good part is it certainly won't serve his character well when it can influence his 'hopefully' loooong sentence. somethings make me think for awhile about my strong death penalty opposition....and also the vast disparity in state sentences for negligent homicide in cases like this.

My prayers for the families, friends and others affected by the loss of five people just out for a good ride...
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 06-09-2016 at 07:08 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

He'll hopefully be going away for a long time. 5 counts of 2nd degree murder...plus 4 counts of reckless driving causing serious impairment. This guy now has a wiki page, too.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

He'll hopefully be going away for a long time. 5 counts of 2nd degree murder...plus 4 counts of reckless driving causing serious impairment. This guy now has a wiki page, too.
    'with intent' has to make coping with this even harder. sad....
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    'with intent' has to make coping with this even harder. sad....
    The thing that should scare all of us is the knowledge that there are some who see no issue with what he did...apparently without intoxicants.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I prefer to focus on those grieving but I do hope it’s the life sentence that's possible with those charges and that then has some influence on others like Pickett.....i'm going to follow this as i want to see how it plays out....thanks for the wwmt link!

This is so unfortunate - on both sides as no one's lives will be the same. I try to steer clear of the roads and ride rails to trails most of the time - and with a group we are very cautious crossing roadways with "look them in the eye" mandate for all. We are lucky - plus we all check each other for helmets before heading out - once or twice someone forgot to put on or buckle the strap. Safe travels for those of us who try to keep fit and exercise with cycling.....
    It is a good day when you wake up - better if the sun is shining!

2015 Specialized Vita Elite Carbon disc 18 speed
    2016 KUAT Sherpa 2.0 2" - luv this baby!
    1985 Raleigh Marathon 12 speed is history as of 2017

Not an accident

Angel - this was not an accident, it was a willful act of malice. It was murder. No amount of caution on the part of the cyclists could have prevented it because it was done intentionally. I am very glad the prosecutor is treating it as such. It's no different than if he'd walked out onto the street and shot 9 people.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

As Eden syas, it was intentional, but if he had walked out on the street and shot people with a gun, it would have made headline news in every news outlet instead of just being page two material. That, and having lived in the Chicago area, I know full well how some drivers hate bicyclists. It's a very tiny minority of motorists, of course, but they are out there and we need to be aware of it.