Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Meantime, in my town, a first-offense drunk driver who blew a stop sign and seriously injured two people (including her passenger) was just sentenced to four years. Everyone in that case was in a motor vehicle.

Bet this guy doesn't get half that.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    As Eden syas, it was intentional, but if he had walked out on the street and shot people with a gun, it would have made headline news in every news outlet instead of just being page two material. That, and having lived in the Chicago area, I know full well how some drivers hate bicyclists. It's a very tiny minority of motorists, of course, but they are out there and we need to be aware of it.
    I disagree that this was "page two material". It made the nightly national news (not just local). I was very heartened to see how much coverage it got amidst all the political and other "important" national news. I heard about it on the news for three days running, which is pretty good for any story that doesn't involve a celebrity or politician!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

It made the news in Montréal too and opened a big discussion in French as well.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Well, there you go. I don't watch the news like I probably should and seldom watch TV. Didn't mean to downplay the incident, of course. Apologize if it came off that way.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Meantime, in my town, a first-offense drunk driver who blew a stop sign and seriously injured two people (including her passenger) was just sentenced to four years. Everyone in that case was in a motor vehicle.

Bet this guy doesn't get half that.
    I think this guy is going to be hit relatively hard, actually. 5 counts of 2nd degree MURDER...not the more expected/typical negligent vehicular homicide charges. On top of that the 4 additional reckless driving counts.

I just hope this process moves along with more speed than the conviction of the guy who killed an ODRAM rider, last Aug. (hit and run with a super sleazy defense attorney). That has still not been resolved. And in that case I suspect the driver will be let off lightly, unfortunately. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it will be selecting a jury in this high profile case, though. I don't personally know anyone who would not be struck.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Bicycling's report.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Bicycling's report.
    Thanks for sharing, zoom-zoom. So glad that this horrific tragedy is being taken as seriously as it should be.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow