Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

23 mm vs. 25 mm Continental Gator Hardshell tires

I am participating in a Coast to Coast bike tour next year using my 2007 Specialized Ruby Pro 50/34. I had a bike mechanic change my gearing from a 11-27 to a 10-32 to help me climb hills a bit better. He replaced my 23 mm tires with 23 mm Continental Gator Hardshell tires. My friends have 25 mm. When I surf new bikes, most have 25 mm as well. Will my 23 mm be alright or should I switch them out to 25 mm? What is the advantage and disadvantage of both sizes? Any advice and input is appreciated.

I used to have 23mm Gatorskins, then switched to 25mm. I never really noticed much of a difference. In general wider tires are supposed to be faster and more comfortable, I think, because they have a larger contact patch and absorb vertical movement better so you don't lose forward energy when you hit bumps or uneven pavement. But I don't think 2mm makes that much of a difference. And the air pressure in the tires also has an effect. Many people put more air in than is necessary.

I recently replaced 25mm Mavic tires with 25mm Conti Grand Prix 4000, and I notice more road buzz from the new tires than the old ones. I dropped the psi a bit and that has made a difference.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Agree. For that use, the quality of the tire is more important than 2mm of size difference and Continentals are about as good as it gets. If you were packing a heavy load, as in a full blown touring setup, I'd opt for wider tires for the sake of stability, but then we're talking bigger tires than even 25s and that really calls for a different bike, anyway. Good move on the gearing, though. You'll use it. Sounds like a fun trip.

I moved to 25s, Gatorskins a couple of years ago. I don't see any difference. My bike has the same gearing, too.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

If your bike can take a 28 mm, go 28. Even the pro racers are seeing the light and riding wider tires. Agree the higher the TPI the nicer the roll and wider tires can roll quite well. Plus your wouldn't ride a bucking bronco in a cattle drive. Riding a narrower tire means picking up quite a bit more of road vibration into your body and being bucked around. The wider tire will help with that and your arms and shoulders will thank you. (This of course from someone who rides a 26 X 40) Also research a better quality tire than the Continental Gator Hardshell. Do some research on Jan Heine's blog https://janheine.wordpress.com/
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Just curious, Sky King, what do you mean by better quality?

FWIW, I've tried to read the research from Bicycling Quarterly (edited by Jan Heine) but it just makes my eyes glaze over. Also from what I've seen they don't seem to really be targeting folks with racing style road bikes. I know someone who buys tires based on their recommendations -- much wider than would fit on my bike -- and he loves them because they give a super smooth ride. But they're also so thin that they puncture if you just look at them funny. Personally I'd rather have road buzz with a tire that is more puncture resistant. But that's me, obviously my friend has a different preference.

On my bike (Trek Madone), 25mm tires are the widest that can be used. I would look into 28s if they would work but until I get a different bike they're not an option. I think the main thing with 23s vs 25s is that the 23s don't offer any advantage for racing, not that they are a significantly worse choice. Though I'm no expert on tires so I could be wrong.

One thing I've noticed with the Conti Grand Prix 25s is that they are a bit wider than the Mavic tires were, and possibly also a bit wider than the Gatorskins I used to use. When I take the front wheel off, the Grand Prix tires don't clear the brake pads freely, I have to push the tire through them. I've never had this issue before putting these tires on my bike. I had read that different brands of tire can vary in their actual dimensions even when they are labeled the same size, and apparently I now have real world evidence of this. It's not a real problem, though, at least not for my bike.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

And for what its worth - I often ride solo so if I get a flat I have to change it myself. I find it easier to change the more supple tires, and I've always struggled with gatorskins -- even with the help of a tire bead jack or whatever they're called (a tool too big to carry with me while biking). So if I'm going to ride something like that, they better not go flat or I'm screwed on the road!

I her what you're saying, Aromig. I'm really the glass if half full type, but I DO remember just about every flat I've had out on the road. Yuk!

I live in fear of flats. I can do the tire part, but I have great difficulty getting the back wheel back on, the derailleur, etc. and remembering how to use the CO2 cartridge/inflator. I know all of the tricks, but the fear was paralyzing me. I got Gatorskins 3 years ago and I have not had a flat since then. I feel more confident about riding alone now.
    I used to have the Conti 4000s, which were super easy to get off and on.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I live in fear of flats. I can do the tire part, but I have great difficulty getting the back wheel back on, the derailleur, etc. and remembering how to use the CO2 cartridge/inflator. I know all of the tricks, but the fear was paralyzing me. I got Gatorskins 3 years ago and I have not had a flat since then. I feel more confident about riding alone now.
    I used to have the Conti 4000s, which were super easy to get off and on.
    It's funny, I do fine with changing my tires at home, but I don't like to do it out on the road. In fact, changing tires sometimes makes me feel empowered (look! I can take care of myself!) and unless I have to be somewhere at a certain time it's almost relaxing. I've done it several times while out and about, and I'm fine if I'm by myself. But when I'm with a group I feel rushed and like everyone is looking at me. OR I'm taking long enough that guys jump in and offer to help. Or even when I'm by myself motorists will stop and offer to help, but then when I decline just sit and stare at me to make sure its ok. I appreciate the kindness and concern, but no clue why it makes me nervous to change tires when strangers are watching!

I'm better at home with no time constraints. I get so nervous, I have trouble remembering the steps to take. I am like this with anything mechanical, that isn't verbally mediated.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura