Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Marking routes ??

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know the basics -- at least two before a change, don't put 'em too close...
    ... but what am I going to wish I'd brought along? I have to mark a route an hour away ... in a rental car. So I'm bringing towls and masking tape to put on the passenger side door where we'll be marking from...
    And any body remember how long it takes? Besides a lot longer than I think it will? It'll be 44 miles for the 'short' and a 40 mile loop for the 'extension loop.' (Wish I could do it on the bike but... not enough time to get the car back...)

+1 on the confirmation marking after a turn. Also note reasons for caution like rough pavement or the need to slow down on a downhill prior to a turn.

But I've never actually done route marking so I can't help with anything else. I've wanted to help out with it but my club always does it on weekdays when I have to work. I would bring a cooler for cold drinks and plenty of snacks, because that's something I always bring when I'm going to be the car for a while. Also Wet Ones if needed to clean up along the way. And plenty of good music to play on the car stereo.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

My husband did it once and has sworn it will never happen again. It took hours in the car, for a 50 mile ride.
    He brought a can of black spray paint, to cover over the mistakes he made.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Ugh.

Figure on 5 to 10 miles an hour, depending on how many turns.

Bring nitrile gloves and wear a Hi viz vest. A second person in the car is great for not having to get everything combobulated every time you get in and out, And also for keeping watch for traffic while the other person is painting.

Put an arrow every two to three miles on long straights so they know they haven't missed a turn.

If there are turning lanes, mark appropriately (including if the route goes straight).

If you're using a stencil, have something much bigger and non stick to lay it on, and a putty knife to scrape e paint buildup.

Have that can of black paint in case you need it.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 06-02-2016 at 04:58 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Again never having done this myself, but fwiw I know people who volunteer to do it for two big rides every year, so maybe it's not always an ugh job. And even if it is not fun, it is hugely important.

Another thing is when there are different ride distances to choose from, mark the mile numbers next to the arrows at any points where the routes go from running concurrently to splitting off. The last big ride I did just had different colored arrows but no numbers next to them, so I frequently wondered if I was following the right ones.

Good luck!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Again never having done this myself, but fwiw I know people who volunteer to do it for two big rides every year, so maybe it's not always an ugh job. And even if it is not fun, it is hugely important.
    NY I deleted my post yesterday that included the comment about the importance of a confirmation mark after a turn…sorry for leaving your +1 hanging in the air. Removing uncertainty in a riders mind was one of our goals when i helped mark a couple of rides a few years ago. I enjoyed the days I did it…it’s just what you want to make of it.

Geonz….it took most of the day for us to mark a 200k and that was with some additional but consistent artistic expressions. i found a bookmark this morning that was useful when I did it and helped in thinking through it....there are probably more articles online now that could be helpful...and thanks for doing it!!!!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron