Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question My old worn out bicycle shorts

To disable ads, please log-in.

After a couple years of riding, my bicycle shorts have lost their compression and have gotten loose. What do you do with your old shorts? It seems so wasteful to just throw them away. After all, these things weren't cheap! These shorts have never been in the dryer and have never been washed in anything but cold water!

Note: If I take them back to REI they will replace them because they supposedly did not hold up, but I am just not that kind of person. If stuff wears out, it wears out!

Kathy
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD
    2012 Specialized Ruby WSD
    2004 Schwinn (I think that is the year)

I think REI changed their policy to only accepting returns up to 1 year after purchase.

Unfortunately I have no advice on what to do with the shorts. I hear you on them not being cheap! But in case the analogy holds, my local running store advised me to replace sports bras after 1 year because they lose their effectiveness. Maybe bike shorts manufacturers have similar expectations? (and no, I don't replace them each year!). How many pairs of shorts do you rotate?

How many miles should biking shorts last????

I have four shorts and two capris. I don't really know how many miles I have worn any of them for. I don't know how many miles I have worn the bike shorts for, but it must be a few seeing as I purchased my Ruby in the spring of 2013. I can't remember if I wore them when I rode the bicycle I had before my Ruby.

The capris are fine because I haven't them that often, but I am wearing them now! I don't worry too much about sports bras . . . I don't have much to put in them so I just buy the cheap ones from Target.
    Last edited by kajero; 05-22-2016 at 07:58 PM.
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD

Quote Originally Posted by kajero View Post
    After a couple years of riding, my bicycle shorts have lost their compression and have gotten loose. What do you do with your old shorts? It seems so wasteful to just throw them away. After all, these things weren't cheap! These shorts have never been in the dryer and have never been washed in anything but cold water!
    I could have written this. I have at least four pairs of very old Shebeest shorts that I have worn a lot, but haven't worn in years. I have a few pairs of LG Neo Power shorts -- one that I wore a lot, one or two others that I hardly wore at all because for some odd reason they started to cause chafing problems. I can't bring myself to throw them away. I was thinking about trying to remove the chamois from the LG shorts and using them for post-ride compression shorts. I might see if one or two of the Shebeests are wearable for indoor training. For the time being, though, I put them in storage as I've been cleaning out closets in preparation for the installation of new floors in my condo.

I've also reached the point where I can barely close the drawer where I keep my short sleeved jerseys. I have way more than I need. But the ones that I never wear anymore and really should give away are from events that I did years ago that were meaningful.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Can you use them on a trainer...if you have one? North Face has their clothes the loop recycle program...i've dropped off clean worn out shorts (loss of elasticity means that to me) at the store here. I'd be thinking i lost weight and not that it's a loss of elasticity
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I find that either the chamois starts degrading in some way, the waist gets funky, or, for some styles, they become kind of see-through in places where you don't want that!
    I don't expect shorts will last forever. Nothing does. Some last 2 years, some last 4-5. I wore Terry Bellas exclusively, until when I went on my trip to Spain and they were too hot for the desert climate. Now I wear Sugoi RS Pro shorts most of the time, saving the Bellas for only shorter or colder rides, with my leg warmers (they have more compression). These shorts cost around 100.00, sometimes I can get them on sale. So, not the most expensive, not the cheapest. All I know, is that I don't fool around with shorts and comfort. I had to search to find 2 brands that worked for me, and at that each only work in certain conditions.
    I also have some liner shorts, mtb shorts, skorts, cycling pants/dresses, and capris, so I can rotate what I wear. I don't wear my regular shorts for my short commute to work, instead wearing the other things in above sentence.
    I also throw out at least one jersey a year, sometimes 2. I usually buy one new one a year. Last year, I through out a bunchI had had since 2005.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    North Face has their clothes the loop recycle program...i've dropped off clean worn out shorts
    Thanks you so much for the information. I can't ride my bicycle to any of the stores because I don't ride on heavily trafficked roads, but I sure can take my shorts there and drop them off!

P.S. Me - lose weight???? Yeah, sure.
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD

Quote Originally Posted by BikeDutchess View Post
    I think REI changed their policy to only accepting returns up to 1 year after purchase.

Unfortunately I have no advice on what to do with the shorts. I hear you on them not being cheap! But in case the analogy holds, my local running store advised me to replace sports bras after 1 year because they lose their effectiveness. Maybe bike shorts manufacturers have similar expectations? (and no, I don't replace them each year!). How many pairs of shorts do you rotate?
    Correct about REI. THE policy was totally abused by members. Something wearing out at the end of its useful is not a defect. Synthetics do degrade and other thN recycling them I don't know what to do.

As for old jerseys..... People make quilts out of loft shirts, why not jerseys?
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Thanks you so much for the information.
    The best part, besides the recycling, is all proceeds from the program go to the Conservation Alliance and they also give me a $10 coupon to use anytime in the store. Much better than just throwing something away!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Well, REI was way overdue in changing that policy! Kohl's need to learn that lesson, too! I may be unaware that they have changed it.
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD

Well, REI was way overdue in changing that policy! Kohl's need to learn that lesson, too! I may be unaware that they have changed it.
    Ugh Kohl's...once my favorite place for office clothing. Sadly, 3 of the last tops I've purchased from them have had seams rip - or even the material itself away from the seam, rip on the first couple of wearings, and they fit properly. Sadly, no more Kohls for outer wear... meh

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    Can you use them on a trainer...if you have one? North Face has their clothes the loop recycle program...i've dropped off clean worn out shorts (loss of elasticity means that to me) at the store here. I'd be thinking i lost weight and not that it's a loss of elasticity
    This is awesome!! It's easier for me to get rid of things (overcome the pack rat tendency) when I know they can be used by someone else or recycled. Thanks!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles