Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

One of our own, in the news!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Way to go Geonz (Sue)!!
    http://www.news-gazette.com/living/2...ike-month.html

Great emphasis on all the positives of riding, about time you got some recognition for all you do for the community!

Electra Townie 7D

Great article! Nice to see you featured, Geonz/Sue!

a great national bike month story!!!

"I say, 'Every day.' People who like camping and nature — if you're riding your bike every day, you're in nature," she said. "You get to figure out what the weather's going to be like, and if you're commuting, you get urban nature, which is every bit as interesting as the mountains and the prairie."

……Indeed!!!!! and truth Sue!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Awesome Sue! Wonderful article. Love that you have cargo bikes -- they are so cool. I'd love to have one one day. I am enamoured with the Bike Friday Haul-a-day.

And you are lucky that you don't sweat much. I am a sweater, big time. So for me, commuting (if I still worked) would be tougher. But I still love the idea of a car-free life. Although we have a motorhome so are obviously not car-free, we travel with six bicycles (a roadie, a MTB, and a folder each for DH and me), and we have no towed vehicle, so once we're parked in a campsite (and we've stayed as long as 2 months in one place), we might as well be car-free, because we're not going to unhook our motorhome to drive down to the store. We walk or bike, or take the bus!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Nice!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I loved the article, even more when people said it made them want to get on their bikes.
    I get recognized all the time ... everybody knows my funky Xtracycle Now, a slight correction is that the cool thing about hte Xtracycle and helping the lady with her groceries was that putting your stuff *in* somebody else's bike bag is not something most folks will do, but the Xtracycle has the back deck and I told her "You can just put it up here -- you don't even have to let go." Well, actually she *couldn't* let go of it -- it was heavy enough it took two of us to lift it and she had to keep a hand on it to keep it stable.
    I had seen her putting the bags on her shoulders when I went by going West, and thought "is there a story here..." wasn't suitcases ... now, since my entire intent and purpose going down that road was to get my mileage over 2.5 miles on my errand and to see what the "one lane ahead" was referring to, I turned around in a few hundred feet. The road construction was pothole repair -- bus damage.
    So, I saw that she'd gone about 75 feet and was stopped again. I popped the bike onto the sidewalk, and dismounted.

“How far are you going?” …
    “to the corner (bout a quarter mile), where the bus *usually* stops.”

See, it was such a nice day that she'd walked the mile and a half to Meijer and done major shopping, and got the bus... which was re-routed because of the construction. She lived right there on the bus stop corner so humping the bags that far would have just been a chore-to-the-door ... but the walk from the other corner was at least a quarter mile. (I know, I was counting :P )

I reckon she'd have made it stopping about 10 more times, but it would have sucked. It was really nice to be able to make somebody's day Not Suck without complicating anything, with five minutes walk

Sue, you're becoming an institution, you know? I love that look on some young guys face when he realizes it a WOMAN on that bike in icy temps, then the double take when they realize you're a "mature" woman. I watched it more than once while I was waiting for the bus as you rode by, it was hilarious!

Electra Townie 7D