Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

So sorry I missed your post, NY, that just stinks, hope you're feeling better now.

We had wrath of god wind and rain yesterday, it must've stirred something up because I'm tight and gasping again today. Must say, it's getting really tiresome. So glad we have a trip home to IL planned in a couple of weeks.

Electra Townie 7D

Hey Pax, there's no chance you could have mold in your home, is there? Just thinking that mold-induced illness can present as asthma and other respiratory issues, and in Florida, mold is a real possibility. Who knows what's hidden behind the walls and vents, sometimes. Are your symptoms worse indoors or out? Just a thought....
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Emily, I expect there's mold in the walls here, and from what I've gathered from talking to my doc and even the HVAC guy, that is the norm rather than the exception. Not out of control black mold, just run of the mill household mold from condensation caused by the AC running nine months out of the year. I breathe best when I'm at the icebox (work), they keep it very cold and it's a newer building with better filtration.

Electra Townie 7D

Did you consider getting HEPA room filter? It may help collect pollen and spores floating in the room. Here https://smile.amazon.com/Honeywell-1...om+HEPA+filter

We have two of these. they are bit noisy at the high speed.

Hi SC! We do have one, got it about a month after this started, I credit it with my ability to sleep several hours in a row without waking up gasping.

We go home next weekend (the 17th), seems like options will be much clearer after that. Since the inhalers that are allowing me to breathe are causing my skin to break down (skin tears, small wounds that won't heal), we're now planning for sooner rather than later.

Electra Townie 7D

I hate to hear that your inhalers are making you sicker! But, at least you can be focused when you go to Chicago next week. Hope the trip goes well.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Crankin - I knew it could happen, especially at the dosage levels I'm on, but it is certainly annoying. I enjoy the breathing part, but the open sores become disconcerting, after a time, when they refuse to heal.

I'm hoping we walk into the condo we're looking at and fall in love. It would be the easiest way to make the move and let us get thins show on the road!

Electra Townie 7D

So sorry you've such a reaction to the inhalers Pax

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Thanks, Catrin. It is such a strange thing, the thing that makes life tolerable, also makes it harder. I guess I'm lucky to live in an age where out of control asthma is moderately fixable, even if the cost is a bit extreme.
    Last edited by Pax; 07-09-2016 at 01:53 AM.

Electra Townie 7D

Man, Pax, that really stinks. As if the asthma weren't bad enough! I hope the trip to Illinois is a very successful one and the condo rocks!
    Emily

Hang in there, Pax. Enjoy your trip and good luck with the condo.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Update:

Just got back to FL from our trip home to Illinois, we looked at some apartments and condos that had me mentally screaming "NO WAY IN HELL!!". I mean who puts their place on the market and leaves it so filthy that prospective buyers are afraid to touch the light switch or counter??

So, we rented our old apartment (exact same unit) in the upscale fancier place... it costs a little more but I guess I've become snobby in my older age, I don't want to live in a dump. We'll be moving back to IL by the end of August.

We're going to rent for the first year while our FL condo sells and then make some decisions about a more permanent place. And after owning a condo for the last two years we're putting freestanding houses back on the list of possibles, the drama here is a bit over the top, I'd prefer not to deal with it again.

Electra Townie 7D

Good decision, Pax. Congrats!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

That's wild that you're going to be in your same apartment! I agree, I'd rather pay more for something a little nicer. I'm too old to live in a total dump.

I also get your idea about possibly going for a single-family home instead of a condo this time around. After living in and/or renting several condos over the past few years, we've pretty much come to the conclusion that we are not condo people. It would take a very special place to get us to try again: no one over top of us and an end unit townhouse would be probably the only way we'd even consider it.
    Emily

Thanks, Crankin.

Thats where we're at, Emily. Condos are fine if the involved parties have the same basic viewpoint regarding money and behavior, but so far we're finding that to be rather rare. No, I don't think it's a good idea to spend tens of thousands of our reserves on boat docks used by 15 of 75 units, no I'm not thrilled with people giving out their pool and clubhouse keys to local "friends and family" numbering in the 100's to use the facilities night and day. Mostly I think we should all be polite and respectful, keep an eye on "our" property and help out our elderly neighbors... these points we seem to differ on. *sigh*

Electra Townie 7D