Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

A failed experiment... possibly

Haven't said much about it other than the occasional complaint, but it looks as if our relocation to Florida is rapidly becoming a failed experiment. We could live with the lack of culture and rude people, the beach was an excellent trade off... but a double whammy is hitting us now.

The lack of expanded medicaid (ACA accessibility), is squashing our early retirement dreams. And completely unexpectedly, my asthma is out of control here. I'm on five different asthma meds but it can't control the breathing issues. Since February I've been spending part of every single day gasping for breath, it is so very tiring, both physically and mentally.

We're trying to decide what's next and first and foremost on the list is to return to our hometown in Illinois. It would put us back into the best healthcare plan I've ever seen, slow the asthma issues, and my wife will just stop telecommuting and go back to her office to work.

We would still get a van to convert for travel (my beloved is now 100% on board with this and excited about it), maybe it wouldn't be so bad? We could still get away from winter once we retire.

So, we plan.

Electra Townie 7D

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I'm sorry to hear this, Pax. Of course, health is number on for daily enjoyment and just living.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Ugh, Pax. There's not much worse than not being able to breathe. I'm sorry it doesn't seem to be working out for you, I know how much you were looking forward to the move.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I remember a science teacher once saying there is no such thing as a "failed experiment". Sometimes we just end up with unexpected or unwanted results, so I'm sorry it's not working out as you had planned and hoped for. It sounds as if you have good options, and the van sounds like fun!

While I am sorry it didn't work out, you are taking the right attitude. Be flexible. Your health is #1, and I can certainly identify with that. While my main reason for moving away from AZ was not health, the added plus of it ended up being both myself and my older son were incredibly healthier, and no longer needed asthma meds every 4 hours.
    Sometimes the allure of the beach is enough. Sometimes, though, it blinds us to other stuff. There are a lot of people around here who think all will be perfect if they move to Florida. Lately, I have read a considerable number of articles about how when retirees get down there, they realize they miss their medical care, their families, their friends, and their favorite haunts. Like you, I want to be able to travel when we are fully retired, but moving somewhere else permanently is not going to happen. We have divested ourselves of a lot of the expenses we used to have, so we will be able to do this in a couple of years.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thanks so much for commiseration, it helps just to lay it out there and look at it objectively.

I'll try the allergist one more time before I throw in the towel, see if he's got anything else up his sleeve. But I'm just so exhausted all the time from trying to breathe, I'm not holding out a lot of hope.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by IBrakeforPastry View Post
    I remember a science teacher once saying there is no such thing as a "failed experiment". Sometimes we just end up with unexpected or unwanted results, so I'm sorry it's not working out as you had planned and hoped for. It sounds as if you have good options, and the van sounds like fun!
    I think this is so true. Over the years I've found that even bad experiences can be useful. And sometimes an unexpected plan B can turn out to be a good thing. Breathing certainly is very important, as is not going broke trying to stay healthy.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

reminds us who are healthy to feel blessed and grateful!!! hoping the allergist finds a workable solution for you!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Why would anyone want to see mugshots in their daily paper, unless they're really dangerous people at loose?? What an absurd and cruel idea. Wishing you the best with your move, Pax. I truly believe one can be happy anywhere, some places make it easier, but it mostly depends on other things than location, like friends, family, activities, adaptation.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Thanks, lph, I'm trying to approach this with kindness and love. View it as an opportunity to reconnect with friends and family back home. I've been beating myself up about it, first my leg now my lungs; been doing a lot of "woe is me". But I need to look at it with new eyes and an open heart... I don't hate home, I just wanted to get away from winter.

My one regret will be giving up my job, it was so hard to get and I love the library and students. But something decent will come up back home.

Electra Townie 7D

Little late on this, but my heartfelt wish that you find some comfort, too.

In my life, I have lived in many places and have learned that the perfect place does not really exist, but the right place is something I've found a couple of times, though that right place can only be right if your health says it is so. Have visited Florida several times and, frankly, it would not be healthy for me, either. No, it's not the heat and humidity - I can handle that well enough - but that insane air conditioning every one uses to the max, down there, drives me nuts. Just when I'm getting used to the heat outdoors on a bike ride or a walk, I step into a building and get blasted by the AC. Last trip, down there, I actually had to go buy a sweater for use, indoors. That's just nuts. That can't be healthy. Best of luck to you.

The insane AC is really the only thing keeping me breathing right now, but I surely don't like it. The library where I work is kept so cold I wear a thick fleece all evening and the other day I had my sleeves pulled over my hands with just my fingertips poking out so I could type.

Electra Townie 7D

I am sorry to hear this, Pax! I know how much you were looking forward to your new life in Florida. BUT, health is #1, and then all the cultural things you've mentioned before are quite important too. Some places just aren't the right fit, and sometimes, it doesn't take all that long to figure that out.

We've been through this several times ourselves: our move to Belize, which we thought would last "forever" -- it soon became apparent that it was not the right fit for us, and we had some health issues as well (not as serious as yours, tho). Mexico, more recently -- we went into that with our eyes wide open after Belize, did not expect it to last forever, and when it started to become un-fun, we knew the time was right to move back to the US. We still love Mexico, and I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't try it again (but a different area) one day, but not right away. And long before either of these expat experiences, we briefly moved to Wisconsin and to Florida during our 31-year marriage. In both cases, my DH decided he was not happy (though I actually was, especially with our situation in Florida, because I loved my job), and we moved back to NC. And in those cases, that worked out well for us with work and everything else (friends, family, etc.)

In every case, we try to look at these experiences as things we learned from. They just added to the pool of life experiences and hopefully helped us to choose better the next time (though we are very slow learners, it appears!) In our case, I think we learned that we need variety, and that is why we are currently nomadic. We get bored and itchy staying in one place for too long. I suspect eventually we'll settle down, but we're in no hurry. I think your Florida experience taught you a lot as well; and I can certainly, completely relate to the desire to get away from winter -- that was one of the main drivers for us in both Belize and Mexico, and why we spent most of this past winter in Florida.

I wish you only the best -- in health and in life! Keep us posted!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thanks, Emily. I knew you'd get it, you've been on this road of trying new places and being willing to walk if it was a poor fit. Today was a very bad day breathing wise, I've got a doc appt. on June 2nd so I'm hoping there's some magic pill available... if not we'll make the necessary arrangements to go home. And I will job hunt and seek out the things I loved about the place before; and when we quit working we can get that van and wander from that home base.

Electra Townie 7D

Sorry to read all of this!
    I have something to say about the asthma. I have a friend who relocated in another city and he started to have asthma problems but when he comes back - everything is ok. I really haven't studied or something what are the pollution level in Florida's air but would advise you to relocate yourself or at least surely go back in your hometown! There is nothing worse than not being able to breathe so I wish you with all of my heart fast recovery!