Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Trackstanding, hanging onto 1 handlebar, while iphone scrolling with other

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm sure the young woman cyclist (probably in her 20's or early 30's), was cheekily just showing off abit:

Today she and I were both cycling in a separate cycle track downtown in light car traffic. At red traffic light, she balanced trackstanding on her bike (which had a few gears, not just a fixie), then dropped left hand off her handlebar and reached in her knapsack side pocket for her iPhone. While still trackstanding and hanging onto bike on only 1 handlebar, she was scrolling up and down her thumb on the iPhone screen with left hand.

I noticed she carried 2 small hula hoops on her knapsack that looked acrobatic, colourful ....a clue that maybe she was already athletic in another sport. She was small under 5 ft. and petite with strong leg muscles.

For once, I thought it was fun she showed off abit. You don't see women commuters showing off lightly in that way. Excellent balance.

The traffic light was over 1 min. long.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

is cirque du soleil in town?

a good sense of equilibrium and especially being relaxed ftw. You can control the front wheel and a brake with one hand easily enough. Did the road have even a slight upward incline where she was? That makes it easier with a freewheel. It’s easier on my fixie ….I just instinctually shift a little pressure between pedals and use the front wheel to stay balanced and upright. I can feel the moments that would allow me to let go of the handlebars and stand/sit upright for a moment but I don’t feel the need to do that very often at all...even for fun! I do track stands mostly at just stop signs and when I want to feel that concentration on my fixie. There’s a lot of fixie riders here so maybe the influence to do track stands is higher.
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 05-19-2016 at 06:00 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I'm old, but not too old to try new tricks. Been mostly a roadie all my life, but may give it a try on the fat bike.