Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I saw more rabbits than usual when I was out riding on Friday night. I got the feeling they were just as happy as we humans were to be able to go outside after so much rain. I like seeing rabbits on my rides because they are smart enough to stay out of the way. Unlike squirrels... don't get me started on the squirrels.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

Your rabbits must be smarter than ours. Last year we seemed to have a bumper crop of baby rabbits -- all of whom would sit very still scared to death on the side of the path/road until RIGHT as you were passing them they'd dart out. This year not so many rabbits. And yes, squirrels are a pain too. I have a friend who had a squirrel run between her spokes and get caught while she was riding downhill. Nasty nasty wreck (for her and the squirrel). When I see either I make loud yelling noises to scare them well before I get close.

Yikes.

Several years ago someone on here swore it was simple, a squirrel is always going to run to the nearest tree. Maybe so, and maybe that's helpful in California, but in the eastern US, it's going to take me longer to figure out which of the 200 trees within 20 feet of the squirrel is the nearest, than it is to just frickin' stop and let the squirrel go where it wants.

But I've got a problem that's beyond my raccoon-fu, now. Last week I assume it was a raccoon that ate the nestful of eastern phoebes under my eave, that were just days away from fledging. Problem is, mama bird is getting started on a new brood right away. Anyone have any ideas for keeping the 'coons out of the nest, without disturbing the broody bird? DH already scared one off the deck underneath this afternoon.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I know that various fish and game departments make wire mesh enclosures around duck nest to keep raccoons from raiding the nest, but not sure how you could build something like that for your Phoebes. Real shame. I love Phoebes. What a neat little bird.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Yikes.

Several years ago someone on here swore it was simple, a squirrel is always going to run to the nearest tree. Maybe so, and maybe that's helpful in California, but in the eastern US, it's going to take me longer to figure out which of the 200 trees within 20 feet of the squirrel is the nearest, than it is to just frickin' stop and let the squirrel go where it wants.

Yesterday I had a squirrel try to race me along a fenceline. That little sucker kept up for a good 50 yards, and passed SEVERAL trees growing along the fenceline while doing it. It was a pretty anxious few seconds, as I waited for him to dart up in front of me because I just KNEW that is what he was going to do! The friend riding with me was laughing (likely because I was between him and the squirrel so he didn't think he was in mortal danger) that the squirrel was actually keeping up with us for so long.

Sorry about your birds -- that's awful.