Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

riding through May....National Bike Month!!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

...and Bike to Work Week May 16-20 and Bike to Work Day May 20th

Staying in Hawaii for a few days doing a retreat to plan out the work we need to do on a large contract and a grant the company got…and to just relax in the clear warm Hawaiian air. Went to Lanai this morning, got mountain bikes in Manele Bay to ride the Munro Trail and then back through Lanai City to Manele. A good 34 mile ride with some great island and ocean views. A good way for the group to spend some time together while getting some good exercise….oh yeah…and sunset yoga on the beach ftw

“I thought that spring must last forevermore;
    For I was young and loved, and it was May.”
    ...Vera Brittain
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Sounds wonderful. Send some of that weather our way. We're going on almost two weeks of north winds and highs barely into the 50s. Hasn't stopped me from riding, of course. but would be nice to work on my tan.

i just tried sending some....don't know if it's going to work though
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I'll be watching for it. Thanks.

Wow, that sounds incredible! Ftw, indeed.

Kicked off National Bike Month with a fun overnight trip with our Wandering Wheels group. Mix of pavement, dirt and gravel. We had permission to stay in a "closed" campground so was just our group and I swear a million birds - no need for alarm clocks. Fierce headwind on Saturday but we weren't in any hurry. Found ourselves in the midst of a bike race on Sunday that ended on the hill we happened to be climbing - was funny as we were all on wide tire bikes with our bike packing gear. Here are a couple of photos. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13082689_211906229195703_3516072626365121068_n.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	18015Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13087770_211906232529036_6302608707206576676_n.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	18016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1096.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	18017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Montourbunch.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	18018
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I forced myself, but I did do a 26 mile group ride today, despite it being 48 degrees and spritzing when I left to drive to the start. It's just a bit too far for me to ride to the starting place we had today (14 miles), when the weather is not great, but it didn't rain, the group was compatible, and it was on familiar roads in Bedford, Westford, and Carlisle. A couple of leaders from AMC, who don't usually come on this ride were there, so that was nice.
    The lunch was at an Indian restaurant, which I passed on. I was starving, but eating that is an automatic 5 pounds for me. Had a nice lunch when I got home, and now, finally, after 2 phone calls, and other stuff, I am ready to shower.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

What is that blue stuff in Sky King's photos? I have vague memories of something like that here, but it seems long ago. Now it's just gray, gray, more gray, drizzle, heavy rain, gray. In the 50s. Seriously is this what it's like in the Pacific northwest, and if so how are you sane??

My first May ride was in my living room last night. It was so humid, I had to force myself to do 45 minutes. It was my tapering ride before the Tour de Cure on Saturday, which is only 62 miles -- a distance I rode last weekend -- but is hillier than what I'm used to and definitely more ambitious than my usual riding for early May. So I just wanted to spin a bit without wearing myself out.

And now the indoor trainer goes into storage for the summer.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Enjoy your ride! Worry that our blue sky will turn to dry & hot with range land and forest fires by end of June ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    What is that blue stuff in Sky King's photos? I have vague memories of something like that here, but it seems long ago. Now it's just gray, gray, more gray, drizzle, heavy rain, gray. In the 50s. Seriously is this what it's like in the Pacific northwest, and if so how are you sane??

My first May ride was in my living room last night. It was so humid, I had to force myself to do 45 minutes. It was my tapering ride before the Tour de Cure on Saturday, which is only 62 miles -- a distance I rode last weekend -- but is hillier than what I'm used to and definitely more ambitious than my usual riding for early May. So I just wanted to spin a bit without wearing myself out.

And now the indoor trainer goes into storage for the summer.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Just went out with DH for a little 14.5 mile ride. He said short and slow. It was short, but not that slow.
    Best thing was, I saw a glimpse of the sun, for about 5 seconds.
    Tomorrow is an AMC leaders' ride and party. I did not volunteer to sweep, as last year I was behind with the woman known as the dreaded "red pannier lady." She should have been on the shorter ride, to put it nicely. Hoping it does not rain for this event.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Just went out with DH for a little 14.5 mile ride. He said short and slow. It was short, but not that slow.
    Best thing was, I saw a glimpse of the sun, for about 5 seconds.
    Tomorrow is an AMC leaders' ride and party. I did not volunteer to sweep, as last year I was behind with the woman known as the dreaded "red pannier lady." She should have been on the shorter ride, to put it nicely. Hoping it does not rain for this event.
    Congrats on the glimpse of sun! It is pouring rain here.

There is a part of me that believes it's important to be the sweep, to help the people who are slower or having a bad day and need encouragement, as a cosmic thank you to those who rode sweep and helped and encouraged me when I needed it. But on the other hand, there's only so much you can take -- you can't do it all the time, not if you want to be patient and truly helpful.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Well, I am always the sweep when DH and I lead, and when I lead with my friend Jack on rides for members. However, this is a ride for other leaders. There is a 15 and a 25 mile ride, but Jack (he leads the 25 and his wife leads the 15) didn't post any average speeds, so it wasn't entirely her fault. The thing is, this woman has been leading a lot longer than me; I would ask! He didn't post speeds this year, either, so hence, I want a decent ride. I can be patient with people who are within the range for a group (this is why we screen people on weekend day rides and longer trips, but not for weekly series, which are at night and very well described in terms of average speed), but no joke, I think my average was <10 on this ride last year. Some of it was the constant stopping for her to take pictures... in the town I live in, I was not amused, since it's a very popular route and can't believe she needed to take a picture of a place she's probably been a million times. I actually like being the sweep with DH, because we have a good system going, but I guess my expectations were different for a group of peers. Our liability rules require we keep the group together, and if someone wants to go ahead, or fall behind the sweep, we have to tell them they are off the ride. It sucks, but it makes being the sweep easier and people tend to be more honest about their ability. The point is to have fun.
    Last edited by Crankin; 05-06-2016 at 01:11 PM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

So, the weather forecast kept the group smaller yesterday. Perhaps they were smart. I wore my rain jacket and brought my helmet cover. The above woman in question came, was going to do the shorter ride, but didn't "hear" the insructions that the leader would be starting a few minutes later, so she came with us. We stopped and regrouped at turns for much of the ride, but after awhile, a couple of the others stayed back with her. It was misty and lightly raining, no biggie for most of the ride. When we were about 2/3 done, the sky opened up. We stopped, I put the helmet cover on, and we went forward. The cloudburst did not last too long, but by then my legs were wet from it all. We had one more cloudburst, shortly thereafter, but were on the home stretch. Hey, some of the others had shorts or knickers on, short gloves, no rain jacket. Some of these people have interesting get ups, to begin with.... after all, they are AMC leaders. At the end, we picked up the speed, and all of a sudden, I felt horrible, bonky, etc. But, I sprinted back to Jack's house, and got inside to change. I have been feeling somewhat off the past few days, sinuses, stomach, so I think it was just that and the fact I was a little hungry. A good 27 miles, despite the rain.
    We had a great party, food and drinks, so it was worth it. I think i need to rest today, though.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

As always, I enjoy the ride reports from here and there.

No rides last week- I took some students camping last Saturday and came home with a cold that just knocked me out of commission until about Weds. Then it was hot (high 90's) and super windy (like 40 mph gusts) on Thursday and Friday. So finally, Saturday arrived with a cold front and much cooler temps (yesterday). I got out the door at 9 and it was still in the 60's! I rode about 30 miles and managed to meet up with the group that had left at 7 am!

Today I'm doing a mom's day breakfast ride with my son - up to Sabino Canyon and hopefully my husband (who ran 20 miles up and down mountains yesterday and refused to do anything active today) will be up to meet us afterward. He's still asleep...
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Commuted today, 3.1 miles there and 2.9 miles home. It was about 55 when I went in and 70 when I came home. Very nice, except my front light fell off the holder on the way there, and I had to stop to retrieve it. I use the same holder for both lights I have and there is never an issue with the bigger one.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura