Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

We've also been hit by that temperature surge, but nowhere near as bad as you folks seem to be getting it. It's staying in the 70s, here, after a long spell of 40sand 50s, so I am not complaining, at all. Doing my usual daily 20 mile ride on our beautiful rural country roads, with some commuting into town (5 miles), just for an excuse to do some more riding. Our little town of 8000, though, has horrible streets for bike riding as far as the pavement. Lots of construction underway to fix that and that's good, but right now, I'm almost tempted to use my fat bike for town runs. Ouch!

My friend Alexandra spent the weekend at my place. After a great dinner, some clubs, good music and dancing last night we did one of my favorite rides into the Santa Monica Mountains today. Rode the beach bike path to its end then PCH to Las Flores Canyon Rd to Piuma Rd to Malibu Canyon Rd and back down to PCH and then the last miles again on the beach bike path to home. The bike path keeps us away from some of the busier PCH traffic coming into Santa Monica. Ended with 54 miles, high 60’s most of the ride with some clouding towards the top of the Las Flores climb and part of Piuma.

Las Flores is one solid hard climb. The beginning is a 8+% climb and there is a one mile 13% section. The last 2.5 miles averages 11+% with a couple 20% sections that we were down to a barely moving mph on and had Alex questioning our sanity. Most of Piuma was a descent but the first section was a 7+% climb that seemed flat after Las Flores. Piuma has some incredible views towards the eastern part of the mountains, which makes it a beautiful descent. May wildflower blooms also made for a delicate counterpoint to the mountain landscape. Good climbing, great views and good company made for a great ride/day.

….…and more importantly on the way home after the great descent on PCH from Pepperdine University was a stop at the Sunday Malibu farmers market for peach green tea boba and chocolate croissants made with unicorn butter and rainbows and whatever's closest to the purist form of happiness one can find….when we got back and showered we spent time relaxing in the Jacuzzi on my buildings pool deck. Alex didn’t want to leave and I didn’t want her to.

I’ve known Alex for 8 months now (I’m not a u-haul type girl…for those who know what that is) and we have so much in common and what isn’t still compliments/improves our relationship….thinking I’ve fallen in love

The view from our stretching/fluid/nutrient break.

‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Wow! Now that is some serious stretch of climbing. Makes what we call hills in northern Wisconsin look pretty tame. Thanks for the pics. Very nice.

Well, our ride yesterday was not the best. Normally Sunday mornings are the best time to ride, with lighter traffic, but since we are in a recreation area, the road (highway) was busy with boaters, RVs, and general traffic. At times, the shoulder was very wide, so we were fine, but other times it got narrow. There was also one dog that chased us in both directions -- scary. We have to take this road, as it's the only way to get to the post office here, and we have some mail to pick up. Hoping that during the week, the traffic will be less AND that the dog will be inside. Ended up with 20 miles, including a couple of loops inside the campground itself.

We did find an unpaved forest road today when we were hiking, and DH investigated how to get there on google maps. Should be fun to check out on the mountain bikes. Looks like we can access it after just a few miles on the icky highway, and then hopefully not have traffic or dogs to deal with!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Emily…you should be writing an article/book on the best places to stay in an RV for bicycling!!!!...with ride maps

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Wow! Now that is some serious stretch of climbing. Makes what we call hills in northern Wisconsin look pretty tame. Thanks for the pics. Very nice.
    I see it as the harder the climb the more nerve cells firing, helping my brain through the production of neurons and releasing neurotransmitters for better brain functioning in the dorsal region and a calming in the ventral region…. Any hard climb for a person whether it be a 3% gradient or 15% (I agree with Alex on the insanity of 20% ) will help in doing it.

So…..just ride….for a better functioning brain!!
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 05-24-2016 at 01:16 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to

Hope you find some better roads, Emily.
    I commuted yesterday. It was quite cloudy when I left the clinic at 5:45 PM, felt a drop or two of rain, but it was nice. Not looking forward to my office moving; it's actually just as close, but there's 2 places where traffic backs up, kind of merging back ups into each other. I have chosen an alternate, which might get my one way commute up to almost 3.5 miles!
    Planned to ride at 5 AM, woke up to pouring rain. Bleh. I decided to go to spin class, since I was up and I live .99 mile from the gym. Worked up a good sweat, but I can barely stand to do spin at this time of year.
    Doing a group ride along the north shore tomorrow. There's a 68 mile version at a moderate pace, but I am being good and only dong the 30 mile ride, since I need to be on point for leading on Thursday night.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Nice warm sunny long weekend for us here.

Hubby got the ok without restrictions from surgeon to ride as much as he wants. I'm ok to cycle, as long as I don't abuse the knees. So we did 2 - 44km rides (Saturday and Monday). Sunday we did campground loops as they have many roads, nice grass/rock trails, etc.

So it is a late start to our bike season but happy to find out we have not lost so much on our cardio/musle. yeah
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Did a pre-ride of what we are leading tomorrow night, as DH convinced me to wait and not go to the group ride. It was like 85 degrees out... rode to the start, 3 miles, did the ride, and I complained the whole way. I felt really anxious, not sure why. Anyway, got back to the start, at Verrill Farm, had a late lunch, and took the long way home. I was fine by then. Most of the ride is shady, but I was uncomfortable. I really hate heat. By the end, there was a stiff breeze (headwind, of course). A total of 26 miles.
    I know it will be cooler and hopefully, a bit cloudy when we start at 6 PM tomorrow, but there are a couple of traffic things and rr tracks that are making me nervous about bringing people on this ride.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Crankin, do you create the cue sheet for the ride or does someone else do it? I always try to mark potential issues like rr tracks or high traffic areas and also mention them in the pre-ride discussion when I am leading a ride.

I rode on Wednesday after work. I didn't do it on purpose but with shortcuts and alterations for variety I ended up making it slightly easier/less hilly. Nonetheless it was my slowest average speed ever for my post-work rides. I was very preoccupied with work problems. Usually I stop once during the ride and have a quick snack, just standing up on the side of the road. This time I noticed some picnic tables next to a school and decided to sit there, but it was too muddy from recent rains so I sat on the curb next to them. And I sat there for long time. It was quiet. I have no guarantee of quiet when I go home thanks to the elephant neighbor upstairs and his lack of area rugs. So I just sat there in the dark and enjoyed the peace. Still was very preoccupied when I got back on the bike -- I need to find a way to get these problems out of my head. Cycling used to do it for me but it's not working anymore. Anyway the ride itself went well. It felt strange to just put on a short sleeved jersey and shorts and be able to go without needing to think about tights or arm warmers or jackets.

Tomorrow I'm leading a club ride. I don't know if anyone else will be there. Many folks will have holiday plans and others will do a different ride that is a tradition here on Memorial Day weekend. I used to do the the big traditional ride but it's grown too big -- hundreds of people -- and I have come up with my own routes in the same area that I like better, so I can go back any day and ride there on my own. In fact I do ride in that area quite often, so this Memorial Day tradition is not special for me. So I planned a different ride in a different county that I think will appeal more to the club members that I like to ride with. If no one shows up I'll be content to do it my myself.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

leaving this afternoon for Calistoga in the Napa Ca. area to end May with a long weekend of riding in one of my favorite areas, my favorite spa for after the rides, great food and being with friends!!!! Hoping everyone has a good memorial day weekend full of whatever makes you happy!!!!!!!

DH and I plan the ride with Ride with GPS. It generates a cue sheet, but at this point, unless it's one of the 2 big rides we lead (one is already done and the other is next Saturday), we are at the point where for show and go rides like last night, we assume they either download the file to their gps or phone, or print out the cue sheet. For weekend rides where I screen people I bring a few. We have to keep our group fairly together, as in between me and DH, so in the pre-ride talk, we go over the issues like the tracks. Since it was only 17 miles, they can remember the name of the street it's on, or the area. We do put stuff like this on cue sheets for bigger rides where there are a higher proportion of people from outside the area.
    It actually was pleasant out by the time the ride started. There were no incidents and everyone seemed happy, but I was annoyed the whole time. I felt great, as opposed to Wednesday, but there was a guy on DH's azz, which drove the pace up a bit. DH is good at controlling this, saying "it's a group ride," and re-iterating why we stay together, but, it puts pressure on me as the sweep in a couple of ways. Last night, the slower people weren't terribly slower, which was good, but I am the one who gets the line of cars behind me, afraid to pass 12 people. And the guy who was behind DH had a friend, who went out fast then ended up in front of me, after a bit of humble bragging. They both were jerks, but we just smile. Everyone else were people we knew, except the 2, who of course, came late.
    Next one of these we do, will start from Acton, just 5 miles west, but far enough so people who live in the city won't attempt to get here by 5:45, in horrible traffic, for a 17 mile ride.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

The kind of behavior from those two guys is similar to my reason for not doing the huge traditional Memorial Day ride. With that many people it's hard to avoid some sort of jerk behavior. And drivers will have their patience tested with so many cyclists on the roads, which can be an issue for slower folks like me.

I love Ride with GPS overall, I think their site is fantastic and has revolutionized ride planning. But I hate the format of their printed cue sheets. The layout wastes paper and you end up having to stop and turn it over at inconvenient times. Luckily someone in our bike club shared a scripting tool that makes it easy to copy and paste all the cues into a spreadsheet, which allows you to add notes and change the formatting, font, margins, etc. so that you can set it up to be flipped when you're stopped at a rest stop. (One thing that ticks me off with large organized rides, like centuries and charity rides, is that they all use the RWGPS cue sheets now. So I end up plotting the ride myself and creating my own cue sheet. I feel like this should not be necessary when I'm paying a registration fee.)

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle

Gone but not forgotten:

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    leaving this afternoon for Calistoga in the Napa Ca. area to end May with a long weekend of riding in one of my favorite areas, my favorite spa for after the rides, great food and being with friends!!!! Hoping everyone has a good memorial day weekend full of whatever makes you happy!!!!!!!

Thanks Rebecca!! Have a great weekend everyone!!

Gone but not forgotten:

If you have the premium ride with gps membership, not the free one, there are all different things you can do to the cue sheets. I am not the tech person here, but for longer rides (like 50 miles), DH puts the cues into blocks, has all kinds of comments, uses shading, etc. So, the font is bigger, it's broken up into parts, and it only needs 2 sides of a page, not several pages.
    We pay for the premium membership, because they provide excellent service, and feel like we want to support them. It's 80.00 a year.
    Both clubs we belong to have semi-upgraded membership to ride with gps, that does most of the premium features, but not all of them. It's helped other leaders, though. I have found in the last 2 years even if people ask for a cue sheet, they don't have a proper holder, and it's kind of useless. Most people seem to be using their phones, which I will never do, since I have a great fear of draining the battery down and then not being able to make a call. The other club we belong to has more typical serious roadies, where most people have a gps.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Yesterday I did one of the hottest/humid rides I've ever done. It was about 11 when we went out and about 80, went up to 85 or so. It was breezy, a hot humid breeze that made it just feel horrible. But, out we went, to do a 20 mile shady loop, that used to be a go to after work short ride of 14 miles from the house. Now, we get in 6 extra miles, flat ones, too. It was the perfect ride for temperatures, but when I got home, I dumped my extra water bottle contents over my head!
    Today, exact opposite. It was 61 when we left, with the intention of doing a 50 mile mystery, not far from home ride. Did the first 23 miles, and stopped for lunch at Idylwilde Farm in Acton. I had taken my arm warmers off, still had the vest on. Did i say it was cloudy, with a cool breeze? We were contemplating several routes we could do to get the next 30 miles, when DH started complaining, he was cold, and of course, the temperature was now 57 (it was predicted to go up to 75), and we felt rain drops. Home we went, with an average of over 16 for the last 7 miles.
    So, I didn't get my 50 mile ride, but at least I had a ride.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura