Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Dress code still, veneer of western (cowboy, biz) exclusivity

To disable ads, please log-in.

There is a "business" club in town, 125 years old that still requires a dress code at any time. No jeans. Honest it was where the local politicians, businessmen congregated. Except they allow jeans and regalia for 10 days during annual local stampede event, which includes all sorts of cowboy/rodeo events.

I can't believe how backward this is. There's going to be a public info. session for a local historical society this wk.

I do have a pair of dress pants, except the inner lining is starting to rip from the waistband. This is another reason why I don't wish to wear good business wear biking to work. It will mean plunking down $90.00 to $100.00 for a new pair of dress pants. This is why I do wear simple tights which are more durable when cycling around for commuting.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Yeah good old Boy’s Clubs and there customs….to go further and more important than dress codes for me...Kirsten Gillibrand’s “Off the Sidelines: Raise Your Voice, Change the World” and Tali Mendelberg’s “The Silent Sex: Gender, Deliberation and Institutions” are both good reads about the disempowerment of women and sexism that can be in male dominated groups. Mendelberg did studies on the patterns of interaction in different business group contexts. Not surprisingly showing male dominated groups with majority rule can be more adversarial to women with more negative interruptions and competitive behavior. Showing female dominated groups can be more inclusive of the minority male members and with much less male negativity.....

Ellie talks about this at the company…..about the company not just being diverse, which it is, but more importantly being anti-inequality....and in her and my thinking with sensible intelligent people with a good work ethic that's more important than what someone is wearing. Personally I like looking professional for certain meetings but that's me and I also look at more important things than what someone is wearing in my interactions with them. Ellie also gave me those two books I mentioned to read.

Btw..I wear dresses, dress pants and jeans occasionally on my milano commuter….a step through frame, a chain guard and either a skirt guard (lots of interesting ones on esty), rear baskets or panniers ftw. Now, with a short light flowy dress you need to think about wind.
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 04-26-2016 at 04:56 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Part of me thinks this is BS, and I do think all male clubs should be abolished. There are a few left here, at Harvard.
    But, another part of me, the old fashioned part, likes the idea of a dress code at certain establishments. In this case, the dress code issue is intertwined with a sexist issue. What would you think if it was some other type of place that had a dress code? Of course, I was the parent that made my kids dress up for religious school until finally, they wore me down after 5-6 years. But, it paid off, when another mom told me that my then 15 year old son was the only male student who came to a night time performance of a Shakespeare play in Boston, wearing a sports coat and tie...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I decided not to go. And instead sort of clean up my place because I've invited a friend tomorrow evening.

I think this is partially to justify the membership fees for this club and give the aura of specialness. There's even a restaurant that only members can go to. Now that is not a good business model in revenue generation.

I'm certain at the expensive yacht clubs in Vancouver, they allow jeans and sneakers...since Vancouver is a little more laid back. The city after all, with one of the most expensive homes on real estate market in North America.

To me these days, as long as a person is clean, organized in their attire and not revealing in buttcrack, décolletage at a group meeting, fine by me. I used to be fussier. But a great charismatic, conscientious and dynamic worker shines through. Yes, I prefer to wear a skirt or dress pants when at group meetings or presenting/training. Last wk., I bought and wore my first business dress in the last 8 yrs: it was a jean material full dress with a soft waist sash. So, I guess, still not dressy enough. I procrastinated when reduced to $90.00., then at $60.00 I couldn't resist. It's a timeless piece I could wear for next few years.

When 8 yrs. from retirement, it's hard for me to justify spending $150.00 on a business dress.

I agree Rebecca in female dominant groups, there's less male negativity and certainly in my opinion, how the guy behaves professionally amongst many female professionals/co-workers, is more important than looking too formal.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Guess I'm a Luddite in this regard... I dress way more casually than I used to, but I've always felt that dressing up a bit gives me confidence and also gives a certain amount of respect. This has nothing to do with men/women, just a general way I feel. I wore a suit to work, to teach high school all through the 80s and into the 90s, when I started teaching middle school. I wore more business casual clothing after that. In the job I have now, I generally dress up (skirt or dress/dress pants) 2 days a week and a little more casual on Thursday, which is the end of the week for me. I've always worn classic type clothing, so it's nothing crazy.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I've always had a touch of the anti-establishment in me and my choosing to bike when everyone else is using a car is one way I express it, I guess. Now that I'm retired, I have a whole closet full of professional career clothes, but I do like to dress up, now and then, so I can't bring myself to let them go, just yet, even though this is hardcore blue jeans country, up here in the north, almost regardless of the function. Hey, we can get snow any month of the year.

When I was a career gal, down in the big cities, I packed my work clothes in a double pannier on the bike, because my commute was just too long and too rough and oftentimes in bad weather. Got to work a half hour early and changed and cleaned up. Small price to pay, though, for being able to commute on the bike.

I do the same, or I bring my clothing in on the days I don't ride there.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Whether its right or its wrong -- I'm taken more seriously when I dress for the occasion. Suits (usually skirt suits, sometimes pant suits) if I'm in an important presentation, court, or a meeting. Likely the same if I'm meeting new clients. I can dress more casually for normal days at work (but I always have a suit in my office in case something comes up). I know that I should not judge people based upon how they're dressed -- but I admit that if I don't already know them I often judge them by their appearance. It's a natural human reaction and I know others do it too. When things are important I don't want to have to fight a bad first impression. Throw in being a woman in a *formerly, may still be in certain situations* typically male -dominated area and, well, what I'm wearing is often the least of my worries so it's easier to dress as expected.

Rebecca -- thank you for the reading suggestions. Those sound interesting.