Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Trying to be patient...

To disable ads, please log-in.

I tend to be on the pragmatic side and to work with what I've been given to work with. I must admit though, to find I've trochanteric bursitis in both hips - though it's much worse on one side (and a tight SI joint as well) - is, well highly frustrating to put it mildly. I actually consider myself quite healthy outside of my musculoskeletal system. Between all of the symmetrical arthritis, my neck and shoulders, previous injuries and surgeries, etc, THAT seems to be conspiring against me. Apparently my 5+ mile walk on pavement on Monday really flared my hips up - and I saw my chiro who knows how to treat it and he gave me some exercises and I see him again in a week before flying to Denver for a conference. Also investigating a new bed (mine is 15 years old), so I am working to address it in as many ways as I can. It's just frustrating, especially since I feel so good otherwise and want to do so many active things. Hopefully a new bed with proper support will help.

So I'm venting - and thanks for letting me do that here. I tried glaring at my apartment wall a few minutes ago but it didn't help Obviously I need to deal with the bursitis so it doesn't impact my hiking activities. My options grow thin.

I am looking for a local Tai Chi class, it's been highly recommended to me as a way to work on all of my movement patterns - and it's standing - unlike yoga and pilates.
    Last edited by Catrin; 04-21-2016 at 04:20 PM.

Hear you about that, Catrin. Stupid body exterior, grumble grumble...

I've got bursitis in my left hip and when I went bed shopping I used http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/ to help me choose one. Hit a home run, I love my bed so much, even after two years I still grin at the thought of snuggling in to it. I can sleep on my sore side without the pressure issues I had on my old bed. Your needs may vary, but my Bed In A Box has been a lifesaver.

Electra Townie 7D

I hope the chiro treatment helps, Catrin.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Tai Chi would be a good movement therapy for hip bursitis. Have you looked into Acupuncture?
    I’ll also just keep saying your attitude about your journey through all this is inspiring!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Oh, Catrin, I feel for you. Hope you get some relief from the treatment and self-care, and that you find t'ai chi beneficial.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I've decided to not order a bed online. I've too many broken bits, and no one to help, to wrestle a "bed in a bag" around and then figure out/find some way to deal with the old one. I tried out a couple Tempurpedics and other beds today. I will keep researching locally owned firms with good reputations (and free delivery/disposal) until my settlement arrives. Pity I can't pay what I did 14 years ago I DID find one today one which all of my broken bits immediately stopped hurting as soon as I lay on it, but we will see how things go.

So sorry to hear about your bursitis, Catrin. You really can't catch a break! I hope the new bed helps. Our new Sealy Posturepedic mattress really helped the perpetually achy lower back I had in Mexico. Although not going to yoga 3x a week any longer may be the real difference. I love yoga, but my back doesn't seem to.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

The interesting thing is some of the mattresses I've tried so far caused new places to hurt. Then I tried some cheaper ones that felt worse than my 14 year old bed on which I can hardly sleep anymore, oh well, my body is not what it used to be. Now I just need that settlement to arrive.
    Last edited by Catrin; 04-23-2016 at 02:05 PM.