Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

IKEA now offering bikes?

To disable ads, please log-in.

"The city-oriented assemble-at-home belt-drive Sladda bike will retail for £450."

Ars technica reports that IKEA is planning to offer a 'flat-pack' bike this summer in Europe. Or maybe just in the UK. There's a pic. Belt drive, front disc brake, back coaster. Aluminium frame. Automatic gear shifting? In the comments is a picture. Trailer is an add-on, not sure if the basket and rack are also add-ons, but probably: "The bike uses a 'click system' that will allow you to easily add accessories like bags or baskets."

It looks a bit expensive for what you get (unassembled bike in a box), but I don't know what comparable bikes go for in that part of the world. Probably due to the auto-shift and belt. Also looks like the buyer is limited to going back to Ikea for accessories.

But I am encouraged to see a mainstream thing-supplier putting out a bike and trailer combo for sale, if it signals increasing numbers of regular people (as opposed to enthusiasts) using bikes for ordinary activities.

I saw something about this recently, don't remember where, something I was reading on the internet. So I think they're also selling it in the US.

You might have to go back to Ikea for accessories, but where do you go where you need repairs on the brakes or automatic shifting? Also it's clearly not as easy to assemble as a dresser or bookcase, and there's potential for injury if you don't assemble it right. So I understand the concept behind it, but I have questions about the implementation.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

A little googling says you're right -- it will be in the US as well, about the same time, for around $800. Not much I can see about what to do if it needs attention; they seem to be banking on it being very low maintenance.

I am very much not the intended market for this, but I rather hope it works out for those whom such a thing would suit.

Well it might not be an enthusiast's ride but you have to admit it's kind of cute.
    2008 Specialized Globe Sport
    2009 Specialized Sequoia Elite