I've recently gotten into walking (not running), but I've been doing decent distances, 4-6 miles most days, and yesterday I did 11.5 miles. I usually walk on a paved trail. It's clear my *cough*11*cough* year-old tennis shoes are not going to cut it. They are physically in ok shape, not splitting or falling apart, but I'm feeling every pound of pavement against the pad of my foot after a couple miles.

I started reading about running/walking shoes and WOW the level of information! I don't know if I pronate or not, whether I need cushion or stability more, or what. I just want something that doesn't leave me feeling like a hammer's been taken to my feet when I get done!

I don't want something that comes high up and gets near my ankle bones. I must be particularly bony or something, because higher-topped shoes always rub and cause pain. Other than that, my feet are on the narrow side, size 6.5-7 depending on the shoe (though I usually wear a 6 in dress sandals, I usually need bigger in a tennis shoe), and somewhat high arches.

Where do you start looking? Most shoes feel comfortable just standing around, how do I know they're still going to feel comfortable after several miles on pavement?