Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Sidi half-sizes

Sidi half-sizes

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello!

I was looking for a new pair of shoes since my old size 38 Shimano R300 fell apart inside their box this winter.

I had my eyes set on a pair of Sidi Wires and I went to the only LBS that stocks them to try them on. They only had a pair of Genius 5 size 38 that I could try. They fitted me like a glove, but couldn't buy Wires in my size there, so I ordered a pair from Wiggle. Sadly, the Wires don't have the same fit. They feel amazing when dangling my feet from a chair or when pedaling relaxed on the trainer, but my toes touch the end when standing or when I really put the hammer down. Clearly, they are too small. I'd love to test them on a 20-30 mile ride, but I want to be able to still return them if they really don't fit.

The question is: do I replace them with size 38.5 or 39? The Sidi website says that the half sizes are 3 mm larger and the full sizes 5 mm larger. People on forums say that half sizes have the same sole length as the full size below, but the uppers have more volume.

Has anyone owned/tried these sizes? I know we all have slightly different feet and preferences, but any general idea would help.

Thanks!

I had some Sidi half size shoes years ago; I had to stop wearing them, as Sidis are just too narrow in the toe box and generally overall. I had never considered wearing another brand at that point, but after years of hot spots and foot pain, switching to Shimano shoes has been a big help. Sidis look cool, but even the half size didn't help me.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I can see how Sidi width can be a problem, but I have very narrow feet and toes, so I actually prefer them. I'always found the Shimanos to be too wide around the ball of the foot (although it was never a big issue for me) The problem is the length. Officially, the insoles from the Wires should be 2 mm longer than the Shimanos in size 38, but I've just measured the inside of the shoes and the Shimanos are actually 5 mm longer. I'm guessing the Sidi measuring is technically correct, since the insoles also go a bit up on the heel cup, but that didn't help when ordering.

I also stopped wearing Sidis because they were too narrow in the toebox for my feet. If the difference is only 2mm I'd be inclined to go up a whole size. But that's partially based on my experience during long summer rides when my feet tend to swell, so I wear fairly loose shoes to account for that.

Is there any way you could go back to the LBS to measure different sizes of the shoes they have there? Either that or contact Sidi directly and ask them for more information on half sizing.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    If the difference is only 2mm I'd be inclined to go up a whole size.
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Is there any way you could go back to the LBS to measure different sizes of the shoes they have there? Either that or contact Sidi directly and ask them for more information on half sizing.
    No, they sold the 38 Geniuses and the rest are 41 and up.

Ironically, if I hadn't tested the Geniuses, I would've ordered the size 39 Wires without even thinking.

According to the Sidi 2015 catalog the full size difference is 6mm, for half size it’s 3mm and both with proportionate volume.

text messages to a friend at my lbs ftw

eta...probably some women's sidi vs shimano size comparison charts on the net.
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 04-13-2016 at 05:59 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Well, I sent them back and ordered the 39. If these don't fit either, I'll look for a pair of Genius, I really liked those. Or maybe I'll look into another brand.