Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Replacing an older worn out Specialized saddle on my Surly LHT...Brooks? or ??

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi everyone-

Another saddle question... I've tried to ferret out info from older threads but my question might be more "specialized" (pardon the the pun) and I haven't seen what I'm looking for exactly.

I have been successfully riding on Specialized saddles for most of the last 6 years. On my Ruby road bike I used a Jett for about 4 or 5 years, and when it pretty much wore out, I transferred it to my Surly and replaced it with an Oura. That saddle was still in good shape when the bike was stolen in January. My new Ruby came with the Ruby saddle but I have gone back to an Oura - for several reasons but mainly because it was making irritating clicking noises, and also I felt like the slight extra padding on the Oura was more comfortable. The shop just replaced it and said they could send it back on warranty!

I haven't had any problems with chafing or discomfort with the Jett or Oura, other than my behind/ sit bones just getting tired of sitting on a saddle after 50 or 60 miles or whatever. I have cut-outs but don't know if I actually need them. My first bike didn't have a cut out and I never noticed it but I swapped out the saddle for a gel saddle eventually.

Now the old Jett saddle is just completely trashed and falling apart so I need to replace it. My position is more upright on the Surly, and I was thinking of trying a Brooks. Right now, I mostly use it for going to the store and doing errands or if my road bike is in the shop, but we imagine we will do some touring in the future.

But here the main question...if I go for a Brooks, which one would be most similar to what I'm using now? The regular B-17? Or....? Or should I just get another Oura for the Surly bike? They are similar in price, although I do have a credit at REI I could apply to the Brooks...

Any thoughts are welcome.

Sharon
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I can't answer the specific questions about which saddle, but both DH and I are currently on trial with Brooks Cambium saddles. They're rubber/fabric (vegan) and don't have the break in of the leather saddles (or the worry about rain ruining them). Brooks offers a 10 year warranty on them with registration. I actually got mine 20% off at REI (but their regular prices are higher than my favorite Brooks supplier - Wallingford Bike). I'd look at the dimensions and see how close the Brooks saddles are to what you have.

So far, very nice. I'll try to remember to report back in a while. DH has a C15 on his road bike (skinny), and I have a C17 on by Brompton. Only downside for me so far is I now have to cable lock the saddle (it's a quick release seat post).
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Okay - thanks. The Cambium saddles are a little more money. Rain is rarely an issue in Tucson, though if we tour somewhere with rain that would be different.

Let me know what you find out.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143