Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: jersey fit

jersey fit

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi All

I am sure this has been touched on before.

I have a team jersey but it is a men's size so it is tight in the hips. It fits great on the top but sausage on the hips.
    Anyone have suggestions on how to alter it so it is not tight?
    I thought of an elastic gusset on the side 'seam'. I need an inch or so bigger. Has anyone had any luck altering a jersey to fit? Do you ask the supplier to 'tailor' or local?

Thanks for the help
    FS
    Last edited by fetchspot; 04-11-2016 at 08:03 AM. Reason: spelling--gosh

The only alterations I've done was with jerseys with elastic around the sleeves or hips. I completely removed the stitching, got rid of the elastic and then re-hemmed.

I was offered a "unisex" club jersey last year in return for leading a certain number of rides, but it was ridiculously narrow in the hips. Even a size large, which was comically to big everywhere else, was too tight around the hips. I ended up saying thanks but no thanks. This year they were able to give me one that isn't quite so bad. I still might remove the elastic, I haven't decided yet.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I just bought a yard of 3M's 2 inch-wide reflective fabric for exactly this reason--I have a couple jerseys that need more room in the hip, and I thought an insert of that would be better than trying to find fabric that is a close match to the jersey or something. Now to just find time for a sewing project...
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

mebikedolomitesoneday.wordpress.com

And a quick "argh" for people and manufacturers who use the term "unisex" when what they mean is "men's fit and sizing"--it drives me crazy!
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

mebikedolomitesoneday.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by khg View Post
    And a quick "argh" for people and manufacturers who use the term "unisex" when what they mean is "men's fit and sizing"--it drives me crazy!
    +1000! And most men I talk to don't realize that men's clothes just are not cut right for most women. Just once I'd like to see men try to wear a "unisex" bike jersey that's really a women's cut.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    +1000! And most men I talk to don't realize that men's clothes just are not cut right for most women. Just once I'd like to see men try to wear a "unisex" bike jersey that's really a women's cut.
    Yeah right? And I'm not sure "realize" is the right word, it's more like "deliberately ignore." Next time some guy tries to sell me something made to fit men, I'm going to ask him what size band would make a bra fit him properly.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

One of Terry's skirts has an elastic inlay that is very smooth and comfortable. I was going to try that in the black stripe up the side. First I will try NYbiker's idea and take the elastic out--Thanks-

Clueless on sizing- I was once telling a guy it didn't matter what size shorts (mens/womens) my women's soccer team had, the first thing all players did was roll the waist up. He acted like he had never heard of it. Like they would fit??

Appreciate your ideas, thanks
    FS